Analysis 2018 List Management discussion Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Great relationship with the coach. Particularly close to Dew i have heard. And a lot healthier contract than Swans will offer.

I just don't see it, i can see McVeigh yes but a big no on Lloyd. The contract the Suns is supposedly $200,000 per year more than the Swans but that doesn't take in to account any other club offers. A vic club could easily offer up $500-$550,000, if that was the case id be staggered if a guy in hi prime would move to that club.

BlueRenaissance

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Guys I know I’m the enemy but do come in peace with what may be a reasonable assistance package from the afl - hope it’s taken as intended.
A lot of talk surrounds a PP for blues this year but you have lots of kids picked up over the past few drafts who will be good in a few years. Another really doesn’t help in the short term.
My suggestion surrounds addressing the age gap in your list.
Would 2 x PPs allocated at end of rd 1 (say picks 19 & 20) with conditions attached. They are that must be used on over 21 year old - say for trading OR a mature aged recruit (don’t know if a Tim Kelly type Is available this year). Also allow only 50% of their salary in the TPP for first 2 years.
So how does this help - let’s use Jake Lloyd as example. You can offer a long term deal front ended that Swans can’t match but gives you pick 19 that you wouldn’t otherwise have to do a trade. Or let’s say a 22 yo who wins Liston or sandover medal - maybe clubs don’t want to risk a first or 2nd rounder on them, but you basically get a free hit at this guy with pick 20. Of course both picks 19 & 20 contain value so could both be used in trades and are high enough to net a starting 22 player rather than another list clogger - and the salary relief would assist in attracting such a player.
I reckon this type of scenario would provide more immediate help rather than drafting another 18 yo than may not make it.
I get that some may not be after afl assistance but if it was offered would this work or am I way off?
FMD, now we have opposition fans trying help us out with advice. Can things get any worse? Does O'Shea have a brother?

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Guys I know I’m the enemy but do come in peace with what may be a reasonable assistance package from the afl - hope it’s taken as intended.
A lot of talk surrounds a PP for blues this year but you have lots of kids picked up over the past few drafts who will be good in a few years. Another really doesn’t help in the short term.
My suggestion surrounds addressing the age gap in your list.
Would 2 x PPs allocated at end of rd 1 (say picks 19 & 20) with conditions attached. They are that must be used on over 21 year old - say for trading OR a mature aged recruit (don’t know if a Tim Kelly type Is available this year). Also allow only 50% of their salary in the TPP for first 2 years.
So how does this help - let’s use Jake Lloyd as example. You can offer a long term deal front ended that Swans can’t match but gives you pick 19 that you wouldn’t otherwise have to do a trade. Or let’s say a 22 yo who wins Liston or sandover medal - maybe clubs don’t want to risk a first or 2nd rounder on them, but you basically get a free hit at this guy with pick 20. Of course both picks 19 & 20 contain value so could both be used in trades and are high enough to net a starting 22 player rather than another list clogger - and the salary relief would assist in attracting such a player.
I reckon this type of scenario would provide more immediate help rather than drafting another 18 yo than may not make it.
I get that some may not be after afl assistance but if it was offered would this work or am I way off?

If we were to be given one, which i think is still a possibility then im sure the AFL would push us to trade it, im all for it. Im not a fan of TPP discounts though, we have a lot of room already and offering something like that is a risky path for the AFL.

Rick18

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Greetings folks, thought the board could make good use of the below. I figured SOS was being a little unfairly criticised given the mess he inherited compared to his own moves, so I went and collated everything he's done since he arrived. (All for the sake of a Twitter thread, I could probably use my time a little better)

Anyway, enjoy (in spoiler tags due to size of images):

*Picks which went in and out during the same trade period weren't included in the trade summary part

DiYKJElVQAIUCtx.jpg
DiYKYyRUEAERJXn.jpg
DiYKheEVQAE_fn0.jpg

Last edited:

athensblue

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2006
South of France
AFL Club
Carlton
Loved SoS performance on FC. Have Lloyd a bath again, as if nothing had changed.

"There's a bit of conflict in footy"

Was a little nervous but is angry and that's what we need from all at the club.

No more of the this crap, start now.

And ask for the PP and whatever else we can get, cause they owe us for what they did in early 00's. That was the start of the end; CFC personnel kept it going for almost 15 yrs , some would say still going.

Greetings folks, thought the board could make good use of the below. I figured SOS was being a little unfairly criticised given the mess he inherited compared to his own moves, so I went and collated everything he's done since he arrived. (All for the sake of a Twitter thread, I could probably use my time a little better)

Anyway, enjoy (in spoiler tags due to size of images):

*Picks which went in and out during the same trade period weren't included in the trade summary part

DiYKJElVQAIUCtx.jpg
DiYKYyRUEAERJXn.jpg
DiYKheEVQAE_fn0.jpg

Nicely done. Hope you put that on the main board thread.

One correction I can see, Ciaran Byrne is still on our list.

SOSforPM

All Australian
Oct 20, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Loved SoS performance on FC. Have Lloyd a bath again, as if nothing had changed.

"There's a bit of conflict in footy"

Was a little nervous but is angry and that's what we need from all at the club.

No more of the this crap, start now.

And ask for the PP and whatever else we can get, cause they owe us for what they did in early 00's. That was the start of the end; CFC personnel kept it going for almost 15 yrs , some would say still going.

I thought he did well to considering how hard Carro and Lloyd went at him.

Liked the bit where he said we’re gonna look to get people in and not for overs just because of pressure.

Loved the bit where he said that it would be easy to build a team that could be mid table but he was about taken the long approach to build a list to challange for a flag.

ETET

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I just don't see it, i can see McVeigh yes but a big no on Lloyd. The contract the Suns is supposedly $200,000 per year more than the Swans but that doesn't take in to account any other club offers. A vic club could easily offer up $500-$550,000, if that was the case id be staggered if a guy in hi prime would move to that club.
McVeigh is contracted to coach with the swans after he retires he is not going anywhere. They announced this earlier this week.

newblueo

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2014
echuca
AFL Club
Hawthorn
we have Murphy.simpsion.kruz an wright.is a old head gonna help the list. heck mullett an shaw an oshea have 250 afl games between them.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I think there's a good chance that the cuts this year will not be as deep as many are expecting.

The club has said this year will be more stabilised, and following from what SOS said about getting experienced players (ie Mullet, O'Shea, Shaw) in to help develop the kids in the VFL, I think we might retain some who many on this board don't consider AFL standard, mainly to play VFL, and as worst-case-scenario back-ups.

I AM CARLTON

Club Legend
Mar 9, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Here's what i would do with the list at the end of the season:
1. Ask for a priority pick
2. If we have the first pick keep it and grab Walsh we need more midfielders and this kid looks tasty
3. Offer Wallis a deal to join us as a free agent he is exactly the type of player we need experienced inside midfielder who would help Cripps massively. Think Wallis is gettable if we offer 4 to 5 years.

Sep 7, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Mavs, Sturt
Sorry for the intrusion. Minor piece of information that has been handed to me.

Carlton met with Sam Collins (ex Freo Defender currently at Werribee) earlier this week. You (along with GC) have shown genuine interest in picking him up.

All the best for the rest of the year.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Sorry for the intrusion. Minor piece of information that has been handed to me.

Carlton met with Sam Collins (ex Freo Defender currently at Werribee) earlier this week. You (along with GC) have shown genuine interest in picking him up.

All the best for the rest of the year.

Seems odd.

24yo, 194cm key defender. Not really what we're crying out for.

Played three years at Box Hill before getting drafted by Freo, so wouldn't be surprised if he worked a little with Bolton there.

www.aflplayers.com.au/article/players-voice-sam-collins/

Makes for interesting reading, and certainly comes across a mature, level-headed type who will put in the work.

If it's Rowe out, Collins in, I can probably get on board though.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Seems odd.

24yo, 194cm key defender. Not really what we're crying out for.

Played three years at Box Hill before getting drafted by Freo, so wouldn't be surprised if he worked a little with Bolton there.

www.aflplayers.com.au/article/players-voice-sam-collins/

Makes for interesting reading, and certainly comes across a mature, level-headed type who will put in the work.

If it's Rowe out, Collins in, I can probably get on board though.

Rowe, ASOS, JGM out

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Rowe, ASOS, JGM out

I reckon Rowe is the key one there, he's still a chance to stay on another year I suspect.

Weitering, Marchbank, Jones, Rowe, Macreadie, Plowman, Silvagni

There's plenty to work with there. You've also got Schuey, Willo and Byrne who aren't small.

Collins as a direct replacement for Rowe makes sense. Younger version of the gorilla-defender, costs very little and gives us options. Keeping Rowe and adding Collins would be wasteful though.

Marchbank type intercept defender but not quite as athletic.

Not bad. A few clubs interested.

Club has another signing that they're holding off on. I wonder why? Could be like Weitering when they had that signed off in before the B&F but wanted to have some great news to announce there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back