Analysis 2018 List Management discussion Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On these Jake lloyd rumours, I don't see how we can get him, numbers alone are comparable to Simpson or Docherty last year, would cost a first rounder.

On these Jake lloyd rumours, I don't see how we can get him, numbers alone are comparable to Simpson or Docherty last year, would cost a first rounder.
He'd be handy for when Simmo hangs them up but surely there's other pressing areas that need fixing before that.

PSD can be used as leverage.
A second rounder for an out of contract footballer looking to join the bottom of the league club

Can’t see Sydney putting a premium on him as we are not a direct competitor to them.

He could be holding out for a better deal and using us a leverage also.....

He'd be handy for when Simmo hangs them up but surely there's other pressing areas that need fixing before that.

While I would like to nab Lloyd, it doesn't really make much sense if Simmo is going round again. They are basically the same player providing the same skill set. Not to mention that the Suns are offering a bucket load of money for him already. Not too sure we can afford to throw mega $$$ at a small defender.

If the cupboard is bare then you have to eat what you can. We might need or want a gun mid but if none are gettable then we can’t ignore good players who are, just because they aren’t our first pick.

Hopefully we get a pp and we can send it straight to the Swans, Lloyd makes us a better side next season.

Doubt he would want to come to us though.

While I would like to nab Lloyd, it doesn't really make much sense if Simmo is going round again. They are basically the same player providing the same skill set. Not to mention that the Suns are offering a bucket load of money for him already. Not too sure we can afford to throw mega $$$ at a small defender.

You would pass up one of the best medium defenders in the game, who would play 7+ seasons with us because a player we have who is similar will play 1 more year?

Hopefully we get pick 19 priority and it's a straight swap...getting Lloyd for free would be awesome.

Not unrealistic, Sydney are reasonable trading partners. They gave up Mitchell for pick 14.

PSD can be used as leverage.
A second rounder for an out of contract footballer looking to join the bottom of the league club

Can’t see Sydney putting a premium on him as we are not a direct competitor to them.

He could be holding out for a better deal and using us a leverage also.....
When is the last time the PSD was used as leverage?

Also, why would he want to leave a club that plays finals nearly every year for one that doesn't? He is possibly AA back pocket/HBF at the moment (squad at least). Not going to come cheap and not going to come to us. Would be very shocked if he doesn't sign with the swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get Lloyd just because Simmo goes around for probably one more year? That's not smart list management.

Everyone seems bullish on our running defender stocks but i'm not.

I get that we have more depth there than mids and forwards, but people need to consider that Doc, Byrne and Willo are all coming off a season where 2 have missed the entire season and the other has barely played due to injury...every chance they don't come back next year in top form, and may have more injury complications.

Byrne isn't automatic best 22 just yet and has always been injury prone while Willo is only a 2nd year player that is rumoured to possibly have Chron disease.
Doc is coming off an ACL and we don't know when he'll get back to his best, or if he will at all.

Lloyd would be very useful if he's gettable.

Also, why would he want to leave a club that plays finals nearly every year for one that doesn't? He is possibly AA back pocket/HBF at the moment (squad at least). Not going to come cheap and not going to come to us. Would be very shocked if he doesn't sign with the swans.

If he signs he signs....if he chooses to come to us then it’s mainly for money.

Yes the PSD is a long shot but we have benefited from it before!

Don't get Lloyd just because Simmo goes around for probably one more year? That's not smart list management.

Everyone seems bullish on our running defender stocks but i'm not.

I get that we have more depth there than mids and forwards, but people need to consider that Doc, Byrne and Willo are all coming off a season where 2 have missed the entire season and the other has barely played due to injury...every chance they don't come back next year in top form, and may have more injury complications.

Byrne isn't automatic best 22 just yet and has always been injury prone while Willo is only a 2nd year player that is rumoured to possibly have Chron disease.
Doc is coming off an ACL and we don't know when he'll get back to his best, or if he will at all.

Lloyd would be very useful if he's gettable.
Posters are fixated that Lloyd is a defender "small", "medium", "rebounding", "running".
The first 3-4 years of his career were as an outside mid, could play a Gaff type role depending on our injuries,
development, structure and retention(Simmo/Daisy).

Doc, Willo, Simmo, Casey, Plow, Marchy, Cuners, Daisy, JSOS, LOB, even Garlett, not to mention O'Shea, Mullett, Shaw
give plenty of conceivable combinations with Shuey and McDaid also being "groomed". What makes everyone he would
be looked at as purely a defender?

Posters are fixated that Lloyd is a defender "small", "medium", "rebounding", "running".
The first 3-4 years of his career were as an outside mid, could play a Gaff type role depending on our injuries,
development, structure and retention(Simmo/Daisy).

Doc, Willo, Simmo, Casey, Plow, Marchy, Cuners, Daisy, JSOS, LOB, even Garlett, not to mention O'Shea, Mullett, Shaw
give plenty of conceivable combinations with Shuey and McDaid also being "groomed". What makes everyone he would
be looked at as purely a defender?

I reckon it is looking odds on that McVeigh and Lloyd will be joining Stewie Dew.

Unless you were involved in the negotiations how would you know?

You would pass up one of the best medium defenders in the game, who would play 7+ seasons with us because a player we have who is similar will play 1 more year?

No I would pass on him if the $$$ required became too much. I don't think he is one of the best defenders in the game, I don't know if he can actually defend. The Swans own fans tend to agree that he isn't accountable defensively in their system. We seem to have enough defensive problems of our own.

Guys I know I’m the enemy but do come in peace with what may be a reasonable assistance package from the afl - hope it’s taken as intended.
A lot of talk surrounds a PP for blues this year but you have lots of kids picked up over the past few drafts who will be good in a few years. Another really doesn’t help in the short term.
My suggestion surrounds addressing the age gap in your list.
Would 2 x PPs allocated at end of rd 1 (say picks 19 & 20) with conditions attached. They are that must be used on over 21 year old - say for trading OR a mature aged recruit (don’t know if a Tim Kelly type Is available this year). Also allow only 50% of their salary in the TPP for first 2 years.
So how does this help - let’s use Jake Lloyd as example. You can offer a long term deal front ended that Swans can’t match but gives you pick 19 that you wouldn’t otherwise have to do a trade. Or let’s say a 22 yo who wins Liston or sandover medal - maybe clubs don’t want to risk a first or 2nd rounder on them, but you basically get a free hit at this guy with pick 20. Of course both picks 19 & 20 contain value so could both be used in trades and are high enough to net a starting 22 player rather than another list clogger - and the salary relief would assist in attracting such a player.
I reckon this type of scenario would provide more immediate help rather than drafting another 18 yo than may not make it.
I get that some may not be after afl assistance but if it was offered would this work or am I way off?

That's why we should apply for a priority pick

If we get it, SOS could go to Sydney flop his PP out and make an exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back