Analysis 2018 List Management discussion Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
You really have a problem, once again the conversation moves on (just like you keep insisting it does) to football and once again hours later you feel it necessary to wade back in to try and start things up again.

Seriously seek help.

Macca, surely you understand some people work

I asked you to move on, yet you want to keep going, so happy to entertain you

Ready to move on?

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
With our list I see us bringing in

Walsh Goddard Blakey Bugg Silvagni and 2 x draftees.

Keep developing and improving in 2019 then it allows us picks and money to bring in Kelly & Coniglio for 2020. That's when we will push for finals.
I am confident we will take Goddard, I remember reports that SOS just shock his head when we took Boekhorst instead of Goddard back in 2014.

Walsh is a certainty unless the Suns have one of their customary trade disasters and offer up 2 & 6.

Bugg doesn't seem to fit the character of a SOS/Bolton player and I haven't seen him do anything as a player that would warrant selection but he would have an AFL ready body.

Silvagni I think will get taken, his physical attributes are too attractive to pass up as a late pick.

Don't know much about Blakey.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Macca, surely you understand some people work

I asked you to move on, yet you want to keep going, so happy to entertain you

Ready to move on?
I have moved on 3 times now.

Your issue is that you are afraid to offer an opinion but you fear being irrelevant more, so you try to stay relevant by creating conflict.

Why don't you take you own advice.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
My post, in context, was responding to a poster querying how deep the talent ran in this draft after the obviously strong top end. It's a deep draft. Obviously the 60's and beyond are always very speculative but that wasn't the point of my post.

Considering our second pick is in the late 60's what was the point?

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
"Maybe this draft pool does not run deep despite the top end chock full of talent ?" Was what I responded to. Not sure I can really say much else except that I was pointing out I believe the draft runs very deep behind the top end talent.

The sentence before that the poster was talking about our picks in the 70's. Changes the context just a bit.

teknodeejay

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Arsenal
I would Rookie both Silvagni and Goddard, take Bugg with the last pick if we are genuinely interested and feel he can do more than Jed Lamb did and if he’s turned his attitude around.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Got nothing to do with that. It's about list balance. We have more young talent on our list than any club. We need to bring in some more mature type talent.
IF they are talented, yes. if they are not you just do not grab 2 in their early twenties because of age profile, only. Goddard and Blakey are not screaming out pick me on talent, from my viewpoint. So I do not buy it has nothing to do with talent. It must be if we were to pick them instead of some draftees in this next draft pool. If we were to pick both of them I read it as we do not see the pool in current draft being so great down around the 70 mark.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
I would Rookie both Silvagni and Goddard, take Bugg with the last pick if we are genuinely interested and feel he can do more than Jed Lamb did and if he’s turned his attitude around.
These days the only difference between rookie list and senior list is pay so it doesn't really matter.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Runs very deep.

I've not heard this from the few industry people that follow under 18 football closely.
Everything I heard to this point is about the elite talent in top 7 or 8 is as good as it gets in any year but the overall pool beyond the first 30 or so youngsters is nothing special at all. Hence if we are picking recycled types at 70 it fits in with pool talent not running deep to be grabbing several guys recycled as more likely than a draftee at pick 70ish.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
IF they are talented, yes. if they are not you just do not grab 2 in their early twenties because of age profile, only. Goddard and Blakey are not screaming out pick me on talent, from my viewpoint. So I do not buy it has nothing to do with talent. It must be if we were to pick them instead of some draftees in this next draft pool. If we were to pick both of them I read it as we do not see the pool in current draft being so great down around the 70 mark. [QUOTE]

Name the last one that was.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
I've not heard this from the few industry people that follow under 18 football closely.
Everything I heard to this point is about the elite talent in top 7 or 8 is as good as it gets in any year but the overall pool beyond the first 30 or so youngsters is nothing special at all. Hence if we are picking recycled types at 70 it fits in with pool talent not running deep to be grabbing several guys recycled as more likely than a draftee at pick 70ish.

That sounds right to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back