News 2018 membership

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to know what makes the difference in our figures and the AFL figures. I know what the AFL will accept as a membership but I'd like to know what we were claiming earlier in the year. If things go as they did last year it looks like our AFL audited figure will be around 55K.
5.5k is the portion of the 8k AOSMA Footy members we count but allocated to the crows. We have junior memberships less than $50. We have Magpies only season ticket holders. They all add up to around 7.5k. Every year KT explains the differences when we announce our audited figures.

5.5k is the portion of the 8k AOSMA Footy members we count but allocated to the crows. We have junior memberships less than $50. We have Magpies only season ticket holders. They all add up to around 7.5k. Every year KT explains the differences when we announce our audited figures.
Any reason for why we don't announce both figures?

Any reason for why we don't announce both figures?
Marketing. The biggest number looks better and you don't want to confuse the average footy simpleton.

All clubs are trying to crank up their numbers for marketing purposes and the AFL doesn't discourage it because it looks good especially during the off season and they only worry about it when they do their audit in August. It used to be 30 June but they encouraged the 3 game memberships a few years ago.

Its a hangover from Football Park days and when the SANFL owned the licences of both clubs. The SANFL offered 3 memberships when Port entered the AFL. Category 1 to watch both clubs games and those were as many as 11,500 members ( peak numbers around 2005) were counted in both totals as the SANFL said we own both clubs so they are members of both clubs and double counting happened. This didn't happen in Perth as there were no WAFC memberships at Subiaco. Category 2 just for crows home games and they were counted in the crows total and Category 3 just for Port home games and they were counted in Port's total.

The SANFL paid the clubs an amount for each membership to the clubs. That was the same amount as the AFL Memberships at the MCG and if you ticked a Club Support box your club was paid an amount for that membership by the AFL and that membership was counted in the Individual total. The AFL Membership total is about 55,000 - about 49,000 have tcked a Club Support box - usually it corporates who buy these memberships who don't tick a box. Collingwood's total of 75,000 members includes about 12,000 AFL Members who ticked the Collingwood Club Support box. In 2013 Collingwood got $138 for an Adult member, $83 for a Concession member and $18 for a Junior Member. So in 2013 the SANFL paid both the crows and Port that amount for a Category 1 membership, just the crows these amounts for Category 2 membership and just Port these amounts for a Category 3 membership. Port has about 200 AFL Members. You get access to all 45 games at the MCG plus pay a booking fee for finals in week 1 and 2, pay full price for Preliminary Finals tickets and the chance to buy Grand Final tickets. You also get entry into grounds all around Australia. A great deal for less than $600 if you live in Melbourne and like going to watch a lot of footy.

When we moved to AO in 2014, the SANFL sold approx 8,000 AOSMA Football Memberships - the adult membership cost $550 for all 22 AFL games per home and away season. Because the SANFL handed over the licences back to the AFL they didn't pay this Club Support amount to the clubs anymore.

So the clubs kept counting the 8,000 members equivalent of the old Category 1 memberships in their total like the previous 17 years. At the end of the season the AFL were caught as they didn't want double counting to continue because the clubs didn't receive any monies from these memberships, but they didn't want to take 8,000 off both clubs' totals. So they did an allocation exercise. I think in 2014 it was 36/64 split and in 2017 it was 28/72.

As part of the 2014 stadium deal review, the AOSMA Football Memberships were put up, the adult prices by $100 and the 2 clubs split that $100 and got $50 each. But the AFL didn't allow for double counting like the Football Park days. That's why you continue to have this split in August after both clubs count these 8,000 AO members.

Finding it hard to believe GWS have 25k. Must be giving giving them away.

Finding it hard to believe GWS have 25k. Must be giving giving them away.

My wife, 2 kids and I joined the Giants AFLW team as foundation members and we got AFL Giants membership thrown in.

We sent the s**t back.

Thanks a million: New membership benchmark - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-02/thanks-a-million-new-membership-benchmark

Adelaide Crows' official membership figures written down by 20,000 by the AFL...

Fages: Nigel, before I take this capex to the board for approval I need to understand why we need an enormous 3D printer.
Notso: We are going to print members.
Fages: You can't just print members, they have to be real people.
Notso: Just like our online digital members?
Fages: What's your point Nigel?

Weren’t they claiming to have surpassed 90,000 a while back?

Lol yes. There was that picture of good news fages with the 90k counter.

Eat a dick you charlatans

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get it i thought we cracked the 60000 but a article today says we have 54000.
It is explained here:
Marketing. The biggest number looks better and you don't want to confuse the average footy simpleton.

All clubs are trying to crank up their numbers for marketing purposes and the AFL doesn't discourage it because it looks good especially during the off season and they only worry about it when they do their audit in August. It used to be 30 June but they encouraged the 3 game memberships a few years ago.

Its a hangover from Football Park days and when the SANFL owned the licences of both clubs. The SANFL offered 3 memberships when Port entered the AFL. Category 1 to watch both clubs games and those were as many as 11,500 members ( peak numbers around 2005) were counted in both totals as the SANFL said we own both clubs so they are members of both clubs and double counting happened. This didn't happen in Perth as there were no WAFC memberships at Subiaco. Category 2 just for crows home games and they were counted in the crows total and Category 3 just for Port home games and they were counted in Port's total.

The SANFL paid the clubs an amount for each membership to the clubs. That was the same amount as the AFL Memberships at the MCG and if you ticked a Club Support box your club was paid an amount for that membership by the AFL and that membership was counted in the Individual total. The AFL Membership total is about 55,000 - about 49,000 have tcked a Club Support box - usually it corporates who buy these memberships who don't tick a box. Collingwood's total of 75,000 members includes about 12,000 AFL Members who ticked the Collingwood Club Support box. In 2013 Collingwood got $138 for an Adult member, $83 for a Concession member and $18 for a Junior Member. So in 2013 the SANFL paid both the crows and Port that amount for a Category 1 membership, just the crows these amounts for Category 2 membership and just Port these amounts for a Category 3 membership. Port has about 200 AFL Members. You get access to all 45 games at the MCG plus pay a booking fee for finals in week 1 and 2, pay full price for Preliminary Finals tickets and the chance to buy Grand Final tickets. You also get entry into grounds all around Australia. A great deal for less than $600 if you live in Melbourne and like going to watch a lot of footy.

When we moved to AO in 2014, the SANFL sold approx 8,000 AOSMA Football Memberships - the adult membership cost $550 for all 22 AFL games per home and away season. Because the SANFL handed over the licences back to the AFL they didn't pay this Club Support amount to the clubs anymore.

So the clubs kept counting the 8,000 members equivalent of the old Category 1 memberships in their total like the previous 17 years. At the end of the season the AFL were caught as they didn't want double counting to continue because the clubs didn't receive any monies from these memberships, but they didn't want to take 8,000 off both clubs' totals. So they did an allocation exercise. I think in 2014 it was 36/64 split and in 2017 it was 28/72.

As part of the 2014 stadium deal review, the AOSMA Football Memberships were put up, the adult prices by $100 and the 2 clubs split that $100 and got $50 each. But the AFL didn't allow for double counting like the Football Park days. That's why you continue to have this split in August after both clubs count these 8,000 AO members.

So Richmonds 1000000 is all good?

Having Victorian relatives ( my old man was born in Melbourne ), so I visited there many times over the years, and the general opinion from many footy supporters I spoke to was of the original big four clubs, ie Richmond, Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood, that the tiggers had the most number of supporters sitting in the wood work waiting for success.

Whether the 100,000 is an actual figure, or has been fudged in some way is of course the big question.

So we are 11th for membership numbers and 8th for average attendance...probably about right given our style of play and the time slots/opposition we’ve been given.

Of course, always room for improvement.

At least our membership to attendance ratio is on par (if not better). Shows consistent attendance.

What gets me is when you have some Victorian clubs with high membership numbers but no one goes to the games! Or they have a bumper crowd one week and a pittance the next!

AFL introduced non access members in their 2011 count because when they released their 2012-16 Club equalisation funding document on 26 September 2011 - showing how they will spend TV dollars and other income for 2012-16 TV deal period, they set the aim of 1,000,000 members by 2016.

They have got there 2 years late, but have become more flexible about what's counted in their official totals compared to prior to 2011.

I'm surprised the crows have 64k. That means they are now selling more general admin and 3 game passess than the previous 4 seasons at AO. I've seen them pushing 3 gamers and bronze memberships.

Looks like WCE are still selling their in the Wings membership as they still have 20,000 more members than seats available at the new Perth Stadium just like at Subi. But maybe they have got a bit stricter because if you became an in the Wings member whilst they played Subi it allowed you to buy up to 4 memberships. Maybe now its only up to 1.

Essendon have also widen the packages they are offering compared to the past membership categories.

OneM1llionClubInfographicv2web.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back