Analysis 2018 Team Selection

Remove this Banner Ad

If he gets an injury free run of games he will have cemented his spot by mid season.

DC pretty much nailed it for mine, aside from the glaring omission of Clark.

I think Hartung will also start early in the season

B: Williams Tarrant Vickers-Willis
HB: MacMillan Durdin Hibberd
C: Simpkin LDU McDonald
HF: Atley Waite Wood
F. Ziebell Brown Garner

R: Goldstein Cunnington Higgins

INT: Clark, Mountford, Ahern, Dumont, Hartung
Dumont?

How many locks do you see for Rd1?

I've got 14 (Thompson is in for me, to start the season at least). I've also included LDU. Just can't see him not playing Rd1.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

He's probably going to start in round 1, which I suppose is fair enough considering his age.

How many locks do you see for Rd1?

I've got 14 (Thompson is in for me, to start the season at least). I've also included LDU. Just can't see him not playing Rd1.

17 or 18.

Agree on LDU.

Agree on Thommo. I missed him.

EVW, Durdin, Dumont, Mountford & Hartung will be fighting for a couple of spots.

Ahern may need a VFL hit out.

If he gets an injury free run of games he will have cemented his spot by mid season.

DC pretty much nailed it for mine, aside from the glaring omission of Clark.

I think Hartung will also start early in the season

B: Williams Tarrant Vickers-Willis
HB: MacMillan Durdin Hibberd
C: Simpkin LDU McDonald
HF: Atley Waite Wood
F. Ziebell Brown Garner

R: Goldstein Cunnington Higgins

INT: Clark, Mountford, Ahern, Dumont, Hartung

Yeah but you had to create an extra bench spot to fit him in :tonguewink:

Honestly though Dunno about him, works hard but his not very damaging. Hope he kills it of course.

I reckon them trying to turn him into a back pocket speaks for itself.

Yeah but you had to create an extra bench spot to fit him in :tonguewink:

Honestly though Dunno about him, works hard but his not very damaging. Hope he kills it of course.

I reckon them trying to turn him into a back pocket speaks for itself.

Well, I am in two minds as to which way the selectors will go. If you want my 22 then:

Thompson, McKay, Williams
MacMillan, Tarrant, Hibberd
Waite, Cunnington, McDonald
Simpkin, Wood, Atley
Garner, Brown, Ziebell

Goldstein, EVW, Higgins

LDU, Clark, Ahern, Durdin

This side is picked on the basis that Jacobs and Wright will need VFL matches before they return.

The mantra for 2018 should be "experimentation WITH expectation"

A few things might stand out, I will explain them.

- I view Ben McKay as the KPD heir apparent in a position that has produced a long line of champions. He goes straight to Lynch (rd 1).

- Tarrant goes to CHB to play a role as a marking target behind the press, and to rotate with Durdin as a 2nd KPF on occasions.

- Hibberd gets his run of games to nail down the HBF.

- EVW smacks of John Blakey to me, and with his impressive time trial I would be moving him in to the midfield to play a run with lock down role against the bigger opposition midfielders. I view him as Jacobs heir apparent.

- Waite to the attacking wing role was probably Scott's master stroke last season. Persist.

- L-Mac on the defensive wing to play a role directing play out of the back of the stoppages and to provide cover when the opposition win the ball.

- Simpkin and Wood to play rolling link up roles.

- Atley to start higher up on L-Mac's wing as an instigator and facilitator of offensive run, link & carry.

- Garner & JZ to play as the 2nd marking forwards when we go smaller in the forward line. Both will also rotate for midfield minutes.

- LDU to play predominately as a midfield/interchange player, with some minor minutes up forward.

- Clark is in the full time midfield group.

- Ahern to rotate wing/half forward with Waite/L-Mac/Simpkin/Atley/Turner

- Durdin to play the ruck/2nd KPF/KPD role rotating with Goldy and Tazz

Stiff: Neilsen, Mountford, Turner, Hrovat, Hartung

Neilsen: He's waiting for Thommo to retire.
Mountford: He's waiting for Waite to retire.
Turner: I want to see him string some games together in the VFL
Hrovat: MUST have more scoreboard impact.
Hartung: We drafted him and he's not going to get any fitter. He will be in contention with Mountford if a runner goes down.

Last edited:
Well, I am in two minds as to which way the selectors will go. If you want my 22 then:

Simpkin, Wood, Atley
Garner, Brown, Ziebell

Goldstein, EVW, Higgins

This side is picked on the basis that Jacobs and Wright will need VFL matches before they return.

- I view Ben McKay as the KPD heir apparent in a position that our club has produced a long line of champions. He goes straight to Lynch in round

- Tarrant goes to CHB to play a role as a marking target behind the press, and to rotate with Durdin as a 2nd KPF on occasions.

- EVW smacks of John Blakey to me, and with his impressive time trial time I would be moving him in to the midfield to play a run with lock down role against the bigger opposition midfielders.

- Waite to the attacking wing role was probably Scott's master stroke last season. Persist.

- L-Mac on the defensive wing to play a role directing play out of the back of the stoppages.

- Atley to start higher up on L-Mac's wing as an instigator and facilitator of offensive run, link & carry.

- Garner & JZ to play as the 2nd marking forwards when we go smaller in the forward line. Both will also rotate for midfield minutes.

- LDU to play predominately as a midfield/interchange player, with some minor minutes up forward.

- Durdin to play the ruck/2nd KPF/KPD role rotating with Tazz

Hartung: We drafted him and he's not going to get any fitter. He will be in contention with Mountford if a runner goes down.

Dumont running waters?

Genuinely interested - what's his shortcoming in your opinion?

Seems a natural footballer to me, good size, ok ground coverage and good finisher near goal.

He has no elite point of difference and he can't play any other position.

Ask yourself this, who would he displace in any other clubs starting midfield + 1?

He turns 24 next season, has 5 seasons and 40 odd games under his belt. He is in the same category as Wood. No more excuses.

Is it a hardness issue?

Not really. There was one issue last season that left me livid, but it didn't reappear again.

Ask yourself this, who would he displace in any other clubs starting midfield + 1?

He turns 24 next season, has 5 seasons and 40 odd games under his belt. He is in the same category as Wood. No more excuses.

Not really. There was one issue last season that left me livid, but it didn't reappear again.

By chance, was it him being very easily shepherded out of a chace instead of trying to run through the through the bloke?

Simpkin, Wood, Atley
Garner, Brown, Ziebell

Goldstein, EVW, Higgins

- I view Ben McKay as the KPD heir apparent in a position that our club has produced a long line of champions. He goes straight to Lynch (rd 1).

- EVW smacks of John Blakey to me, and with his impressive time trial I would be moving him in to the midfield to play a run with lock down role against the bigger opposition midfielders. I view him as Jacobs heir apparent.

- L-Mac on the defensive wing to play a role directing play out of the back of the stoppages and to provide cover when the opposition win the ball.

- Durdin to play the ruck/2nd KPF/KPD role rotating with Goldy and Tazz

There's a lot I don't agree with in this post, but there's one thing I just can't understand at all - Turner. When fit he's an absolute lock for our best 22 going forward for me.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

By chance, was it him being very easily shepherded out of a chace instead of trying to run through the through the bloke?

He put in some short steps v StKilda (round 12) mate and it set me right off. I don't like dwelling on it and I only mention him or that if I am pressed. I know he's not a squib in general, but a bloke who isn't overly blessed with sparkling attributes needs to be absolutely manic with his intent at all times. He should look to get a chance to slip away with Glenn Archer for a day or two. Just the two of them.

My brother has had a beer with him and reckons he is a real good down to earth bloke.

There's a lot I don't agree with in this post, but there's one thing I just can't understand at all - Turner. When fit he's an absolute lock for our best 22 going forward for me.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

He definitely has claims. A team in December is not going to necessarily be the same side at the start of April. I threw it up to create a discussion.

What if BJ and Sammy Wright start flying in the preseason?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's 23 next season. 22 currently. He's at 39 games as it stands.

Neilsen: He's waiting for Thommo to retire. Disagree - he plays from Round 1 with Thommo and Taz. He is our best young taller defender.
Mountford: He's waiting for Waite to retire. Not waiting for Waite as such but borderline best 22-25 in any case.
Turner: I want to see him string some games together in the VFL. Disagree - he is starting 18 Round 1 with his forward pressure.
Hrovat: MUST have more scoreboard impact. Agree.
Hartung: We drafted him and he's not going to get any fitter. He will be in contention with Mountford if a runner goes down. Disagree - he will be in 22 in Round 1 with 4-6 games to prove himself.

Neilsen: He's waiting for Thommo to retire. Disagree - he plays from Round 1 with Thommo and Taz. He is our best young taller defender.

Best young taller? Nah mate. There's no chance he could go with a Daniher/Lynch/Kennedy. Height is pretty much his only defensive limitation.

Mountford: He's waiting for Waite to retire. Not waiting for Waite as such but borderline best 22-25 in any case.

I figure that's the most logical spot that will open up for him.

Turner: I want to see him string some games together in the VFL. Disagree - he is starting 18 Round 1 with his forward pressure.

Definitely a chance.

Hartung: We drafted him and he's not going to get any fitter. He will be in contention with Mountford if a runner goes down. Disagree - he will be in 22 in Round 1 with 4-6 games to prove himself.

Definitely a chance.

The reality is Ahern and LDU have never played an AFL game nor a VFL one
Jacobs and Wright not for a long time
Cant see Dumont Hrovat Anderson Mountford in a top 22.
Hartung will be in ours.
We are looking at bottom 2.
Brown and Waite must not get injured.

Pardon the intrusion North fans but thought I'd have a crack at North's best 22 for 2018

FB: Sam Wright/ Jamie Macmillan ~ Daniel Nielson ~ Scott Thompson
HB: Jamie Macmillan/ Sam Wright~ Robbie Tarrant ~ Marley Williams
CEN: Billy Hartung ~ Jack Ziebell ~ Luke McDonald
HF: Jy Simpkin/ Paul Ahern ~ Jarrad Waite ~ Mason Wood
FF: Kayne Turner ~ Ben Brown ~ Taylor Garner
1R: Todd Goldstein ~ Ben Cunnington ~ Shaun Higgins
INT: Luke Davies Uniacke ~ Ryan Clarke ~ Shaun Atley
Paul Ahern ~ Trent Dumont ~ Ben Jacobs

• Would love to see Ahern as part of the best 22, would bring some real x factor into the team but more important firstly is some continuity in playing regularly.
  • Mitch Hibberd not far away with a good pre-season behind him, Hrovat some good pressure from underneath as well.

Last edited:
Pardon the intrusion North fans but thought I'd have a crack at North's best 22 for 2018

FB: Sam Wright/ Jamie Macmillan ~ Daniel Nielson ~ Scott Thompson
HB: Jamie Macmillan/ Sam Wright~ Robbie Tarrant ~ Marley Williams
CEN: Billy Hartung ~ Jack Ziebell ~ Luke McDonald
HF: Jy Simpkin Paul Ahern ~ Jarrad Waite ~ Mason Wood
FF: Kayne Turner ~ Ben Brown ~ Taylor Garner
1R: Todd Goldstein ~ Ben Cunnington ~ Shaun Higgins
INT: Luke Davies Uniacke ~ Ryan Clarke ~ Shaun Atley
Paul Ahern ~ Trent Dumont ~ Ben Jacobs

• Would love to see Ahern as part of the best 22, would bring some real x factor into the team but more important firstly is some continuity in playing regularly.
  • Mitch Hibberd not far away with a good pre-season behind him, Hrovat some good pressure from underneath as well.
Missing a 4th bench spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back