ATP/WTA 2019 Australian Summer

Remove this Banner Ad

Next year they will be offering child care services at the AO - anything to attract a bigger crowd and make more money.
In a Grand Slam first professional onsite childcare is available for children aged 5-12, making it easier than ever for parents to bring kids to the Australian Open.

A range of fully supervised activities will be on offer, including VIP access to the AO Ballpark. Further information and booking options will be available via ausopen.com in November.

https://ausopen.com/articles/news/all-family

AO is becoming a spectacle now, I don't care about the additional services I just want to watch tennis.

When it happened it was novel but ruined the winner's next match.

The four slams will eventually need to have one format of tiebreaker.

Another beauty of tennis ruined, part of trying to win 7 best of 5 set matches over 2 weeks is making sure you don't spend too long on each so you don't end up wrecked for the later rounds. That's one of the tests of a grand slam.

Players couldn't do s**t to 'make sure' matches only go so long. They have to play within the rules.

Players couldn't do s**t to 'make sure' matches only go so long. They have to play within the rules.

What? Win the match quicker, it's really that simple. I absolutely hate the argument that a marathon will wreck the next match, it's simply not understanding tennis in my view.

"If you don't want to be burgled, just never live in a house!!"

picard-facepalm.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

all this talk about 5 sets, Isner and final set TB's. shouldn't drag the girls with it. That is what I am most annoyed about.

The girls don't need a TB. They never go higher than 15-all anyway AND only play 3 sets. It seems like such a downgrade to the tournament as now nothing separates this grand slam to any other WTA event. (unlike the men)

It has been the story of the summer so far really. Tennis Australia makes brand new adjustments/tournaments for the men, completely forgetting the women on the tour. there will be a lot more deflating 3rd set TB's this summer compared to the men's 5 set TB's. This change affects the women far more than men, yet it was brought about because of an issue with the men's game, not the women.

On a related matter, what a complete shitshow they have already made this summer. They made this announcement 4 weeks before the tournament, and at night to hide it from the news coverage. Wimbledon, for comparison, made their change a good 9 months before the start of its next tournament. I look forward to the next summer schedule in 2020, where they will have to fit a whole new tournament and sell it to the public while keeping the current stakeholders happy.

The girls need less money, that's what they need. And to not bow down to Queen Serena and let her where crap.

Hewitt has been given a doubles wildcard for Brisbane, playing with ADM. Not really a surprise I suppose.

I don't have a real problem with it except I think De Minaur may burn out physically and mentally this year. It is a taxing game and he has played alot of tennis and didn't get much of a break.

I just question why our really good players insist on playing doubles. As much as I love doubles, around Grand Slam time Singles is all that most of the top players compete in.

I don't have a real problem with it except I think De Minaur may burn out physically and mentally this year. It is a taxing game and he has played alot of tennis and didn't get much of a break.

I just question why our really good players insist on playing doubles. As much as I love doubles, around Grand Slam time Singles is all that most of the top players compete in.

Yeah, I think Alex is going to struggle to maintain that ranking this year, well obviously the first two weeks are the key hurdle there but completely agree and I hope the schedule is right for him. Don't mind him playing doubles with Lleyton as long as it is only Brisbane.

If he keeps his ranking where he is at the end of the year, then I will consider a good year. if John Millman keeps his, then I will eat my hat.

Anyway, Jason Kubler has pulled out of Brisbane with his knees again sadly (still wants to play AO apparently) but Bolt, Popryin & Duckworth get main draw WC's. Women's is Hon, Stosur & Birell.

Players who have breakout years on the tour, tend to struggle the following year to maintain or better their ranking. It wouldn't surprise me if this happens to Alex. In saying that, he works hard and improved a lot this year, so think he will stay top 50.

Interesting to see Sam playing another Australian summer, do wonder if it will be her final one.

Not sure if I've missed this elsewhere, but I hope that 9/TA will be releasing an app like 7 have had the last couple of years. The level of access was amazing, showing all courts during the Open.
Great point, I had forgotten about that aspect of the coverage. Sure there were some aspects of the 7 coverage that got on my nerves (Zempilas, Hamish), but overall I think 7 improved their coverage dramatically over the past couple of years!

In other news, Steffi Graf is returning to Melbourne for the first time in over 10 years. She will accompany Agassi who will be here as Dimitrov's coach. Hopefully they both present the trophy to the winner's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back