ATP/WTA 2019 Australian Summer

Remove this Banner Ad

And lumping the women with the men. The best match last year in the WTA in terms of drama was the Halep-Davis match. And Halep, despite all that match play and an injured ankle, still made the final and was very close to winning it all. There is no need to change that.

The women don't need a cutoff point. They don't have the serve for a match to go into the '20s or longer. It is fine how it is. When the women get an epic, like Kuznetsova-Schiavone and Halep-Davis, people remember them for ages, and always fondly. much more than any match at the US Open and its TB FS. It feels so dirty for a match to finish like that.

12-12 is a reasonable compromise for the men if you have to do it. It keeps things simple for the viewer(etc, same as Wimbledon) while preventing Isner from ruining the tournament. I don't think TA remember how popular the longer sets are. Everyone was watching Karlovic!!!! when he went 20+ at the AO recently. We all love drama and the fight of sudden death tennis. Personally, would prefer to watch 3 sets with play to advantage over 5.

Also, a "super" tie break is just 3 extra points you have to win. Nothing Super about it.

Edit: just edited the main post with cut off points for both WTA/ATP plus news regarding Murray and Tsonga.

Last edited:
I was expecting this, just surprised it took this long after the Wimbledon announcement. We've been slowing wrecking the things that make tennis so great over the years, why not this? Watch them bring it in for 2019 and have Tiley spew on how innovative the AO is.

F*** it, why don't we just make it best of 1 point so people don't have to stop scrolling through Instragram or Facebook on their phone for more than 30 seconds...

Absolute joke.

Heard some bozzo being interviewed on SEN tonight who has just been appointed to some newly created position at TA (the name of which was so w***erish I can’t remember it). Every question was answered with full on PR spin and weasel words. When asked about the Davis Cup being changed willy nilly with virtually no support from the players he waffled on with some crap about ‘opening up conversations on these things’ (what conversation? The deal is done!), then in the next breath went on to say that tennis is looking to span the whole year rather than just having isolated events (um, you mean like the Davis Cup used to do?). Seriously, they couldn’t stuff things up any more if they tried.

Last edited:
Jason Kubler has been given a WC at Brisbane

Apparently Jason has been struggling a bit with the knees when he came back from the rolled ankle from New York at the end of the this year hence the disappointing challenger results. I'm glad TA has given him an AO wildcard straight up and not made him play the playoff. Bu yeah not promising signs for him.....

Sorry just caught up with the news on the 6 all final set tiebreak. * i dislike craig tilley immensely and TA in general. We just want to copy the yanks so desperately it's sickening. Let's kill off another great aspect of tennis. The kuzzy schiavone match was one for the ages, the hingis vs serena quarter final in 2001, halep vs davis. These are epic matches that people remember for ages. Who the * needs a match to end at 6 all if it gets to the 3rd set of the womens and 5th set of the mens?

I strongly disagree. As rare as a 70-68 set might be, such matches should not even happen. Don't forget that all sets used to be advantage sets, I don't think tennis is poorer for changing that. There needs to be a cut-off somewhere, and I can definitely entertain discussion on that.

I do not support a final set tiebreak at 6-6. I also don't think a final set should go beyond 25 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I strongly disagree. As rare as a 70-68 set might be, such matches should not even happen. Don't forget that all sets used to be advantage sets, I don't think tennis is poorer for changing that. There needs to be a cut-off somewhere, and I can definitely entertain discussion on that.

I do not support a final set tiebreak at 6-6. I also don't think a final set should go beyond 25 games.

Couldn't disagree more, one of the great things about tennis is that there is no set end time, you have to finish a match off. A tiebreak wrecks that. I just don't think we should mess with the best scoring system in sports.

The AO Wildcard playoff gets underway tomorrow. Women's field is reasonably strong and the men's so much. Guess guys like Popryin, Polmans & Kokkanksis will be getting wildcards.

Couldn't disagree more, one of the great things about tennis is that there is no set end time, you have to finish a match off. A tiebreak wrecks that. I just don't think we should mess with the best scoring system in sports.

The AO Wildcard playoff gets underway tomorrow. Women's field is reasonably strong and the men's so much. Guess guys like Popryin, Polmans & Kokkanksis will be getting wildcards.

I thought I'd dig a little deeper to look at the statistics on matches that went the distance at the Australian open in 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Over that time there were 702 singles matches played and 23 (13 womens matches and 10 mens) went further than 6-6 in the final set. 3.27% of matches during that 3 year period went further than 6 all in the deciding set.

I was surprised how low that figure was so wanted to dig even deeper into the stats and look at how many matches went beyond 12 all in the deciding set. Out of those 702 matches, only 3 went beyond 12 all in the final set. 0.42% of matches over the past 3 years went beyond 12 all.

What this data clearly shows is that a 12 all final set tiebreak is the happy medium, if a final set tiebreak must be played. It rarely happens to go that long and allows for players to break serve from between 6 all to 12 in that deciding set. Wimbledon have got it right.

Great research. As my previous post implied, “I don't think a final set should go beyond 25 games”, I think the tiebreak should probably be at 12-12. That is equivalent to saying “you have effectively had 2 sets worth of games to decide a winner, and couldn’t, hence we need to bring an end to this”. Otherwise, you allow for an infinite result. What other sports makes no attempt to bring about a conclusion?

Good to see that Kubler, Pohlmans and Popyrin will get wildcards. All deserved. I know Kokkinakis doesn't want to risk injury but at some point he should be made to earn his spot.

The Bolt v Vukic game today will be interesting. Of the guys in the draw for the payoff Vukic looks to me to be one that over the next 12 months could really go up the rankings.

Great research. As my previous post implied, “I don't think a final set should go beyond 25 games”, I think the tiebreak should probably be at 12-12. That is equivalent to saying “you have effectively had 2 sets worth of games to decide a winner, and couldn’t, hence we need to bring an end to this”. Otherwise, you allow for an infinite result. What other sports makes no attempt to bring about a conclusion?
Baseball.

Wimbledon's solution is a perfect compromise between your viewpoint and Pepsi's(and mine). I really hope TA doesn't do it a super TB.

I mentioned this before, but I just love it when a match goes into added time. It feels special when you get to 6-all.

What other sports makes no attempt to bring about a conclusion?

That's our point, that is one of the beautiful things about tennis. No set end time.

How lax do the attendants at the RLA and MCA entries tend to be? Easy enough to get past them with a grounds pass?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back