Grand Slam 2024 Australian Open qualifying

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not the biggest fan of Millman, and I don’t like handouts for the sake of it, but I do think it’s pretty sad he ended his career in qualifying. I would’ve been okay with a MD WC.

Never going to agree on this. This notion that every retiree deserves some WC is ridiculous. Use the WC’s for development, would much rather them limited to u25’s personally

Never going to agree on this. This notion that every retiree deserves some WC is ridiculous. Use the WC’s for development, would much rather them limited to u25’s personally
As I said, normally I wouldn’t care. And I don’t have any issues with anyone thinking otherwise. I just think one final match on SC3 in front of a packed crowd would’ve been a fitting end.

Not EVERY retiree but I think it would have been a nice gesture in Millman's case. He's been a good servant of Australian tennis despite his limitations so it would have been appropriate for him IMO. He really only had one or two matches in him, his body is not in good shape anymore so he was never going to make it through qualies, surely TA knew this.

Nevertheless, he had good crowds for his two matches and I noticed Lleyton Hewitt was there watching both matches. Saw his dad there also and no doubt other family and friends so I suppose he had a decent send off in a way.

Not EVERY retiree but I think it would have been a nice gesture in Millman's case. He's been a good servant of Australian tennis despite his limitations so it would have been appropriate for him IMO. He really only had one or two matches in him, his body is not in good shape anymore so he was never going to make it through qualies, surely TA knew this.

Nevertheless, he had good crowds for his two matches and I noticed Lleyton Hewitt was there watching both matches. Saw his dad there also and no doubt other family and friends so I suppose he had a decent send off in a way.

If he can barely get through 3 sets he ain’t getting through 5. Complete waste of time when it could go to a younger player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back