2019 Best 22! Guestimation

Remove this Banner Ad

Yay. Much more interesting question than rehashing our best 22 presuming everyone is fit.

Waterman, O Allen and M Allen I can see being the big improvers. Nelson and Watson smokies.

Waterman takes Mastens wing.

O Allen takes Le cras hff spot.

M Allen takes a bench spot and rotates on ball and off the wings. The BBIMWBLF final announces his arrival.

Watson I hope makes a debut and plays syay 6-8 games covering Jetta's calf management.

Nelson I hope comes in as our defensive mid covering Hutchings and also takes a bench spot.

Smith will get games and could be the big surprise packet. Played well in 16 and 17 only to have injury totally derail 18.

Rotham to get a few games as well as O'Neil
Agree. Smith will be the surprise packet this coming season
Tipping he will play a minimum if 8 games

There is still an imperative, I believe, to get games into our young talls, even if they're not strictly best 22. Not sure how we do that exactly, but I reckon we want Brander, Allen and Waterman to all have a decent crack at senior footy at different stages in 2019. Let's imagine a scenario where our two preferred ruckmen, JK and Darling play every game. That won't happen but even in that event, we still need to get games into those young talls. I don't think we can just run them through the WAFL until there's an injury. We need to be more proactive than that.

It will be intriguing to see how we promote young depth in 2019 while still being as close as possible to our best. You could almost rotate them through a FP. I know people will say that makes us too tall but there needs to be a down payment on developing talls.
Playing 24 players each week seems to be the only way this can happen

You’re looking at it from an individualistic standpoint.

The day we change from a game plan that requires gut runners like Gaff and Masten is the day he comes under real pressure.

Saw a suggestion of Waterman replacing him - how about he proves he can play the role at WAFL first?
Masten surprised many of us in the home and away games in 2018. When the pressure in the finals came, he was unable to lift the next level. Not a disaster but he had less impact.

Masten surprised many of us in the home and away games in 2018. When the pressure in the finals came, he was unable to lift the next level. Not a disaster but he had less impact.
On the contrary, while he didn’t have huge numbers in the GF, I was pleasantly surprised by his physicality in the clinches. He even won us the contested ball that won the game for us.

Lock.

I said good day!

You seem to be taking any discussion about Masto personally for some reason.

He had a pretty good season last year for sure. But lists evolve and you want and need the young guys putting pressure on the older guys.

If Mastens form drops away I have no doubt one of those kids coming through will get an opportunity simply because thats how it works. Injuries will always provide opportunities as well.

Id rank our mids as:

Shuey, Gaff, Yeo.
Redden
Sheed
Masten, Hutchings

Then its part timers who push uo the ground and developing mids.

Rioli, Cripps, Venables.

Ah Chee, Waterman, M Allen, Ainsworth, Petrucelle, Smith, Foley, O'Neil possibly Nelson who is reportedly improving his tank and training with the mids.

Masto's biggest competion will come from Smith, Waterman and M Allen IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's gonna be a fun twelve months as Carbine Chaos channels his inner Sweet Jesus about all things Masten.
To be fair he has always been a defender of guys like Masten and Jetta’s they are unfairly maligned by posters who think the be all and end all of a player is “GO IN HARD YOU CAMPAIGNER GET YOUR OWN BALL”

I will be with you until the end Carbine Chaos

To be fair he has always been a defender of guys like Masten and Jetta’s they are unfairly maligned by posters who think the be all and end all of a player is “GO IN HARD YOU CAMPAIGNER GET YOUR OWN BALL”

Spot on mate, obviously ramping it up as sponsor, but I’ve been a supporter of Masto (and Jetts) for some time. Valuable contributors!

Thats all good.

I also spend a fair amount of time defending players who are IMO unfairly treated.

But I also am a realist who in this case ranked Masten and Hutchings as the two mids under the most pressure to maintain form to keep the kids out.

I dont think that is unfair whatsoever.

Obviously shep and gaff come straight back in but for who? Thats a toughie.

The bottom 4 to 6 players that played on GF day (not based on GF performance)
Venables
Schofield
Masten
Cole
Sheed
Vardy

Hickey is a straight swap for Lycett. I dont see us veering away from a 2 ruck set up so vardy stays.

Gaff may come in for lecca, meaning we play a midfielder as a rotating HFF.

If we retain the 6-6-6 set up then waterman comes in for lecca and masten or sheed end up making way for Gaff.

Depending on player matchups its cole/shoey for shep.

Venables survives the chop but he has to improve to at least 12 to 15 posessions a game.

Maybe under the pressure of finals the rest of the team found it more difficult to get the ball into space

But I also am a realist who in this case ranked Masten and Hutchings as the two mids under the most pressure to maintain form to keep the kids out.
While there is unfair bashing (or misunderstanding) of some players and their roles, and Masten and Jetts have had their share...Reckon Masten is arguably the weakest link in the chain now, until another running tank with skills steps up...also who can replace Hutchings as #1 Tagger?

While there is unfair bashing (or misunderstanding) of some players and their roles, and Masten and Jetts have had their share...Reckon Masten is arguably the weakest link in the chain now, until another running tank with skills steps up...also who can replace Hutchings as #1 Tagger?

Mastens biggest threat is Rioli, I can see Rioli taking a wing. Last season he is already running the km right up there with Gaff and Masten and he looks to be even fitter this preseason. Rioli is much more flexible and can play multiple roles.

As for the next defensive mid that would be Nelson. He has the size, speed and campaigner in him but needs to build his endurance. Seems that is his main focus this off season.

Will either Masten or Hutchings lose their spots round 1?

Not likely unless injured.

But there is pressure building from beneath and that is good..............very good!

Can't wait to see Petrocelle and the two Allen's push into the side and get a crack.

Mastens biggest threat is Rioli, I can see Rioli taking a wing. Last season he is already running the km right up there with Gaff and Masten and he looks to be even fitter this preseason. Rioli is much more flexible and can play multiple roles.

As for the next defensive mid that would be Nelson. He has the size, speed and campaigner in him but needs to build his endurance. Seems that is his main focus this off season.

Will either Masten or Hutchings lose their spots round 1?

Not likely unless injured.

But there is pressure building from beneath and that is good..............very good!

Can't wait to see Petrocelle and the two Allen's push into the side and get a crack.
We saw Dumb Sheed breakbout on the wing in the absence of Gaff. We are building pressure for spots which is great.

Josh Smith will also be putting pressure as a gut running outside mid and XON looks like his body is not far off being AFL ready so his form will tell all.

This is the first preseason I can recall where Masten is in rehab and not training the house down

Remove this Banner Ad

Back