Preview 2019 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They could but that does not change the need to protect the value of their 1st rounders from being swallowed up by an early bid for tom green (who was best afield for the allies on the weekend)
Trading them away doesn't protect their value. They have two options - trade up to get in ahead of the bid or trade down for substantially more points to outweigh the risk they've given up a first they might still have been able to use.

If you could forward your assessment to Power and Sheehan, that would be wonderful
A fat lot of good it will do, because according to other posters, the Allies aren't there to win! They are simply there so clubs can see them on the big stage.
Unfortunately, due to the cast that has been put together on this stage, the theatre has decided to cancel further possible contracts and downgrade others due to picking up Vic/SA and WA actors.
They are sorry, and advise the Allies artistic director to pull his head out of his arse if the Northern academies are to be taken seriously.
I guess it’s hard when you have 4 states and 50 players to get the balance right. It may take till the final match to get that correct mix

Also they are only able to have 3 overage players per game apparently so Koenan , Murray , Peating , Conroy and Lucas who all would’ve in the best 23 can’t play together every game.

Some positives were the backline was tighter , the midfield were good till Gaden went down and the forward line looked much more potent . They probably will bring in some new players this week and maybe bring back some players like Barling who were unlucky to be dropped

Trading them away doesn't protect their value. They have two options - trade up to get in ahead of the bid or trade down for substantially more points to outweigh the risk they've given up a first they might still have been able to use.
I remember last year where a club traded down to protect their pick from being used on a bitd for their NGA player then had a deal to trade back up after their player was secured. The thing with live trading is that it allows clubs to wheel and deal like that

I remember last year where a club traded down to protect their pick from being used on a bitd for their NGA player then had a deal to trade back up after their player was secured. The thing with live trading is that it allows clubs to wheel and deal like that
The thing with what you said need to be when the season and trade week are over, right now there is so many uncertainty and variable to play with. What pick adalaide possibly get from Greenwood and keath, are GCS recruiters interested in them-not Adelaide fan suggestion. How many players GCS need delist if they come in.

Sydney did it - trading their second for a future third, then giving up a future second to get a second back. Key here though is that they came out the other end with close enough to the same 2018 pick, paying the price of a future downgrade for it. In your hypothetical GWS would only "protect" their firsts by giving up something else to have a club babysit them temporarily. If they're just giving up the firsts anyway they might as well use them to match bids.

Sydney did it - trading their second for a future third, then giving up a future second to get a second back. Key here though is that they came out the other end with close enough to the same 2018 pick, paying the price of a future downgrade for it. In your hypothetical GWS would only "protect" their firsts by giving up something else to have a club babysit them temporarily. If they're just giving up the firsts anyway they might as well use them to match bids.
Maybe, or they might look at a trading down and then back up at a slight downgrade of their 1st rounders as a price worth paying if they can avoid losing them all together to match a high bid for Green. I did post on their board a while back the option that it might be worth them trying to trade with the crows for the pick 1 or 2 they we get as not only would that protect them from losing it on green (as if it is pick 1 no one has a bid before them) but it would allow them to take a Rowell or Anderson AND then use later points to take Green - they could if they worked out a suitable deal take 2 possible top 5 rated mids at this draft and then if they lose Coniglio they are future proofing themselves. The cost for doing that might be multiple 1st rounders to the crows but still, to get a lot you need to trade a lot

Maybe, or they might look at a trading down and then back up at a slight downgrade of their 1st rounders as a price worth paying if they can avoid losing them all together to match a high bid for Green. I did post on their board a while back the option that it might be worth them trying to trade with the crows for the pick 1 or 2 they we get as not only would that protect them from losing it on green (as if it is pick 1 no one has a bid before them) but it would allow them to take a Rowell or Anderson AND then use later points to take Green - they could if they worked out a suitable deal take 2 possible top 5 rated mids at this draft and then if they lose Coniglio they are future proofing themselves. The cost for doing that might be multiple 1st rounders to the crows but still, to get a lot you need to trade a lot
GWS do have option to deal with GCS also, I mean if you throw himmelberg, Greenwood and keath name to GWS.
GWS could well end up with Rowell/Anderson , Green, Greenwood, Himmelberg, keath by surrender three first round pick.

I never really got to see the best of Berry to be honest. I feel bad for saying this, but at the time I thought he was overrated.
Rivers to me looks a little more natural reading the play and I personally think he has more midfield potential watching their junior years.
I guess once you get a little hindsight it is easy to forget what your intial thoughts were.

Just searched my 2016 board.

16 Jarrod Berry.

I did not see the best of Berry it seems, I had high hopes for this kid before the season started. Injuries did not allow him to show his potential (well I am hoping that was the reason). Plenty of people that have come into contact with Berry have talked highly of the kid, so I am backing him in to making it at AFL level. I think he may be best suited playing in defence as a general. It could take him 3-4 years before finding his place and I could see him playing a role like Sheppard from the Eagles. It took him a number of years to find his place but these days he looks very solid.

============================================

Rivers feels like a midfielder playing as a defender for me. Kind of like Ash and Kemp for Country, players showing their ability as defenders that at AFL level should be midfielders.
When I watched Berry as a junior, I did not see his midfield ability and looks more like a defender.

LemmingMaster, eDPS, Pie 4 Life and Bicks.

How similar would you guys say Trent Rivers from WA is to Jarrod Berry in his U18 year?
Similar size, I think Berry is more noticeable, but Rivers' kicking around the ground and his movement in tight is terrific. Berry's endurance was terrific and his penetrating kick from outside 50 a real weapon. I think Rivers is more compact in the way he goes about it, but in saying that he has some serious class and does not make a heap of mistakes. Berry would make some clangers at junior level, but would also hit targets from long range. Both are quite versatile though, and Berry more prepared for Year 1 in the AFL, but Rivers is growing into a nice size.

I guess it’s hard when you have 4 states and 50 players to get the balance right. It may take till the final match to get that correct mix

Also they are only able to have 3 overage players per game apparently so Koenan , Murray , Peating , Conroy and Lucas who all would’ve in the best 23 can’t play together every game.

Some positives were the backline was tighter , the midfield were good till Gaden went down and the forward line looked much more potent . They probably will bring in some new players this week and maybe bring back some players like Barling who were unlucky to be dropped
When’s the Allies team for the last two games released. Hopefully I won’t spend hours trying to find the link to watch it like last week

When’s the Allies team for the last two games released. Hopefully I won’t spend hours trying to find the link to watch it like last week

48950c5eb24c1cc04bd0fe24a0f1efed.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have brought the last 3 names in by the looks. Unfortunately for Reville he would be up against O’Neil & Gulden who are both rated wingman or Oea or Gore as small forwards. Oea possibly could have been the one to swap out. Murray from memory was named in the best players against Vic C but might be a victim of being an overeager??? Barling played NEAFL last week as well but not sure on him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back