Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
EARLY MOCK DRAFT FROM THE ROAR

The 2019 AFL Trade Period has come to an end, and the 2019 AFL Draft is now the biggest upcoming event on the calendar.
There has been plenty of interest during the year about the potential draftees and where they might wind up, and that will only intensify over the next month.

Here you can find the latest version of our 2019 AFL Phantom Draft, which we will update regularly as the draft draws closer.

It is currently updated to reflect the draft order as per the end of the trade period.

Pick 1 – Gold Coast – Matt Rowell
178cm 74kg

The best-performed player in the pool, an impressive and well-rounded if a little undersized inside-leaning midfielder. Best on ground in the NAB League Grand Final with 44 touches and two goals. A very safe bet, perfect for the Suns.

Pick 2 – Gold Coast Suns – Noah Anderson
188cm, 86kg

The other serious contender to be pick 1, now that Gold Coast have the top two picks through AFL assistance there’s no need for them to agonise over the decision. Anderson is a tall midfielder with a big frame who can also play forward.

Noah Anderson

Noah Anderson (Photo by Mark Brake/AFL Photos/via Getty Images)

Advertisement

Advertisement
Pick 3 – Melbourne Demons – Hayden Young
188cm, 82kg

Pushed out of the top two by Gold Coast’s assistance package, Melbourne’s next best option is likely Young. He’s a classy halfback who is possibly the best kick in the draft. They could look to turn him into a winger at AFL level. No.1 for agility at the AFL draft combine.

Pick 4 – Adelaide Crows (via Carlton) – Sam Flanders
182cm, 81kg

Mid-forward whose stocks have risen sharply in the last few months, thanks to great from in the NAB League finals (27 touches and four goals in one game), and an excellent performance at the draft combine. Hard to overlook.

Pick 5 – GWS Giants – Tom Green (matching bid from Sydney Swans)
188cm, 85kg

A big-bodied, tall inside midfielder in the mould of Patrick Cripps or Josh P Kennedy who can really dominate games. He is in the GWS Academy, expect them to match any bid.

Pick 6 – Sydney Swans – Caleb Serong
179cm, 82kg

Undersized midfielder who can have a big impact on the ball, but is also known to be dangerous around the goals. Has drawn comparisons to Robbie Gray.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Pick 7 – Fremantle Dockers – Lachie Ash
182cm, 81kg

A dynamic halfback who provides speed coming out of defence. Could add some pace and running ability to a Fremantle side that will lose some during the trade period.

Pick 8 – Melbourne Demons (via North Melbourne) – Cody Weightman
177cm, 73kg

A really impressive small forward who has the ability to fly for big marks in the style of Jamie Elliott, but also knows how to crumb a pack. Top five at the draft combine for vertical leap. Uses the ball well.

Cody Weightman

Cody Weightman (Photo by Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images)
Pick 9 – Hawthorn Hawks – Finn Maginness (matching bid from Carlton)
187cm, 80kg

Big-bodied inside mid who Hawthorn have access to as a father-son player. He was dominant at the draft combine, showing that he backs up his ball-winning ability with elite endurance and speed. That pushes up his stocks a lot.

Pick 10 – Carlton Blues (via Adelaide) – Brodie Kemp
193cm, 82kg

Advertisement

Advertisement
A versatile utility who has played in a variety of positions during his junior career. Probably his best scope is if he becomes a big-bodied midfielder-forward at the next level. ACL injury means he’s unlikely to play much footy in his first year.

Pick 11 – Fremantle Dockers (via Port Adelaide) – Dylan Stephens
183cm, 70kg

Prolific outside midfielder who is one of the best runners in the draft and can work up and down the wing at AFL level. Perfect fit for Fremantle now that they have lost Brad Hill and Ed Langdon.

Pick 12 – Port Adelaide Power (via GWS) – Fisher McAsey
195cm, 86kg

The best key defender in the pool, was named Vic Metro MVP at the under-18 championships, ahead of Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson. Probably not what Port need, but the best available. Can also play forward.

Pick 13 – Fremantle Dockers – Liam Henry (matching bid from Western Bulldogs)
180cm, 76kg

The best and most exciting small forward in the draft, Henry is guaranteed to join Fremantle as an indigenous recruit through their Next Generation Academy.

Pick 14 – Western Bulldogs – Will Gould
191cm, 98kg

Advertisement

Advertisement
Gould is a ready-made AFL defender who monsters opponents but also has a Shannon Hurn-like booming kick out of the backline. A little small for a tall defender, but could be third tall or play off half-back. Part of this year’s SANFL premiership side.

Pick 15 – Geelong Cats (via West Coast) – Luke Jackson
198cm, 94kg

The best ruckman in the draft by a significant margin, Jackson would be a great fit at Geelong who are in need of a longterm ruck option (or even a short-term one). A little undersized but plays like an extra midfielder.

Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson (Photo by Michael Dodge/AFL Photos via Getty Images )
Pick 16 – Gold Coast Suns (via Brisbane) – Trent Bianco
178cm, 68kg

Small halfback who is an excellent kick, a bit in the mould of Adelaide’s Rory Laird. Can also play in the midfield. Good pick-up for the Suns.

Pick 17 – Brisbane Lions (via Collingwood) – Jeremy Sharp
187cm, 79kg

Long-kicking, line-breaking outside midfielder or half-back option. The Lions could use another good kick coming out of the backline or on the wing, so Sharp makes a lot of sense.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Pick 18 – Geelong Cats – Deven Robertson
182cm, 80kg

High-production inside midfielder who won the Larke Medal as the best player at the under-18 championships. Someone who could play from Round 1 next year for the Cats if they want, good value at this pick.

Pick 19 – Port Adelaide Power – Miles Bergman
186cm, 75kg

Athletic, dynamic mid-forward who has shown glimpses of his ability on a regular basis but yet to really put it all together.

Pick 20 – Richmond Tigers – Josh Worell
195cm, 74kg

A versatile tall who has played at both ends, but is probably most comfortable in defence. Richmond will keep looking at add to their future spine, and Worrell would be a nice piece towards that aim.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wouldn’t want to come up against Gould if I was in a forward line. Big solid lump of a kid, and there’s definitely a lot of muscle under the pudge.
Can't afford be slow in the top level just going to get mowed down all the time if you are. Too much risk attached unless at pick 53 for mine

Dev Robertson is not a need but jeez he's good, will be hard to pass him up.

We're in a good spot for a slider.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dev Robertson is not a need but jeez he's good, will be hard to pass him up.

We're in a good spot for a slider.
Perfect for Freo.
Yeah, have to disagree with The Roar having Freo take Stephens at that pick. I get that they need to replace Hill/Langdon, but you take best available at this point, and Robertson has a good claim to go top 7 or 8 thanks to his outstanding Championships form. The last 3 years of Larke medal winners have been Oscar Allen, Sam Walsh and now Deven Robertson. The medal has been one of the best indicators of future stars for the last decade

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wizard you're probably in a better position to judge than me but I get the impression Stephens is basically a quicker Hunter with the same un-damaging ball use and isn't really what we need. Am I wrong?
He is not undamaging with his ball use. He gets involved multiple times in offensive chains and his ability to finish the way he does infront of goal is exactly what we need.

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Apparently Gould tested horribly at the combine
Yep, was last or 2nd last in plenty of the tests. That being said, I'm sure Jeremy McGovern probably tested terribly (if he tested at all) and it hasn't stopped him from destroying forward lines for the last 5 years.

Played all SANFL League and SANFL Finals after the Champs so he would be quite sore imo.
Remember rule five of drafting 101.
Is he good because he is good or is he good because he is big. (Will Colons come on down).
Collins was always playing against his own age group. Gould has been playing against men and playing well even in finals footy.
He’d be the steal of the draft at #53. Nothing an elite environment can’t fix - Has all the natural talent, just isn’t athletically gifted - plays quicker than he is.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If he drops outside the top 20 I'll eat my hat. On talent he is a first round pick. He'll lose the weight in an AFL enviroment. I don't think that he would be SA's U18 Captain if he was 'uncommited' as some here are suggesting. Some people can just put the weight on very easily while others (Spindles...) never can.

Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can't afford be slow in the top level just going to get mowed down all the time if you are. Too much risk attached unless at pick 53 for mine
He isn't slow though. Testing at the combine doesn't always tell the truth watch the player actually play. Some players test fast but never use it, some test slow but never look slow in game. I think someone mentioned Jeremy McGovern tested poorly early on in this thread which would be the perfect example of this.

Why do we need Gould? Don’t we have enough general defenders? If it’s between Gould or guys like Worrell or Taylor - I’d sooner take Worrell or reach for Taylor.
Dale Morris replacement imo. Natural leader in defense.

Yeah, have to disagree with The Roar having Freo take Stephens at that pick. I get that they need to replace Hill/Langdon, but you take best available at this point, and Robertson has a good claim to go top 7 or 8 thanks to his outstanding Championships form. The last 3 years of Larke medal winners have been Oscar Allen, Sam Walsh and now Deven Robertson. The medal has been one of the best indicators of future stars for the last decade
Last decade yes (includes Josh Schache!) but the last 11 years? No. Otherwise Andrew Hooper might have become a gun for us.
He was a joint Larke medallist who played only 7 AFL games. :(

Admittedly the bloke he shared the medal with went OK - David Swallow. 139 games and counting.

I'd still take a tall defender if they were deemed good enough at our pick given the development timeline they normally require.
A clean kicking wingman would be nice, or a small/medium forward who can 'do it all' *cough* Elijah Taylor *cough*

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd still take a tall defender if they were deemed good enough at our pick given the development timeline they normally require.
A clean kicking wingman would be nice, or a small/medium forward who can 'do it all' *cough* Elijah Taylor *cough*
Yep, if McAsey was still there you’d have to seriously consider him.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Collins was always playing against his own age group. Gould has been playing against men and playing well even in finals footy.
True Wizard17, my point was more if he was 88 kg he would probably be a top five pick. I have never seen him
play, but the fat face and the red cheeks are a worry although I think Clayton Oliver had to shed a few pounds
and he has done fairly well to date.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m with you Mof. Tall defender, wingman or forward with tricks. If it’s a major reach for any of those spots at 13, then you can never have enough midfield depth.

I’m with you Mof. Tall defender, wingman or forward with tricks. If it’s a major reach for any of those spots at 13, then you can never have enough midfield depth.
Yes, but with caveats:
1. Tall defender cannot be slow. Doesn't have to be super quick but must be reasonably agile and mobile.
2. Wingman must have good kicking skills and a big tank. A bit of speed would also be handy but not as crucial as the first two attributes.
3. Forward must be hardworking when not in possession and must apply excellent pressure. Tricks alone (eg miracle goals) are not enough.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yes, but with caveats:
1. Tall defender cannot be slow. Doesn't have to be super quick but must be reasonably agile and mobile.
2. Wingman must have good kicking skills and a big tank. A bit of speed would also be handy but not as crucial as the first two attributes.
3. Forward must be hardworking when not in possession and must apply excellent pressure. Tricks alone (eg miracle goals) are not enough.
I was excited about drafting Collins and Talia but clearly they can’t thrive in a Beveridge system and quite possibly modern AFL.

Can’t play wing without a good tank. What separates the good ones from the bad is running both ways and kicking efficiency.

Agreed. With potentially 3 talls we need some pressure from the smalls.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He isn't slow though. Testing at the combine doesn't always tell the truth watch the player actually play. Some players test fast but never use it, some test slow but never look slow in game. I think someone mentioned Jeremy McGovern tested poorly early on in this thread which would be the perfect example of this.

Dale Morris replacement imo. Natural leader in defense.

A Dale Morris who can kick. Like having two players in one. Don’t underestimate the value of long kicking players who can defend 1v1.
I know he isn’t a glaring need BUT is my pick to be almost the most useful in the draft class.

Back