List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Thread

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Yes another half back flanker will solve all of our problems.

I havent followed Young's junior career but is he another kid who has played midfield for his entire footy life, gets put on a back flank in the champs due to his elite kicking, speed and footy brain and is now forever labelled as 'another half back flanker'?

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
For starters he’s 29, doesn’t have physical issues, won a bnf last year and can win games on his own. Let alone the fact that if he’s not still our best player, he’s damn close.

If we had a choice we wouldn’t part with him at all. I am honestly surprised how many St Kilda supporters are happy at the prospect of watching this bloke win games for the cats for say the next 3 years while we enjoy some bloke taken late in the draft playing vfl in his place at our club.
100% agree

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
You were kidding i take it , a 30 year old who has more issues that big footy and hasn't played bugger all this year , we shouldn't be too greedy

It's not being greedy Risky... Geelong will back themselves to get Stuv 100% and back to his best. Otherwise why would they want him?

The price will be based on that.

It's not like he's got irreparable physical injuries that have slowed him down... he's got an issue that can be managed and then overcome. Especially if he's closer to his family for support, back where he feels at peace. Plus there's also the fact that when he's played this year, even running at 60% rat power, he's shown that he's star.

It's imperative IMO that we can use whatever we get for Stuv to acquire Hill. And that means a 1st round pick.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hill will come as part of the Steven, Kelly Hill trade.

Pick 5 on Flanders or Young if he lasts that long.

Newnes or Dunstan traded depending on best value - draft.

Tomlinson free agent, Abbott 4th rounder, Biggie Academy
Freo are going to ask for our first round pick this year.

Geelong are going to ask for 2 x first rounders or equivalent for Kelly. They view Steven as get-table without a trade at all, but will part with their second rounder for him to keep relationships on going.

Newnes is a FA. To be honest - I'd rather keep Dunstan now if we can't bring in a better big bodied mid.

I think the best case scenario out of this, if we can swap pick 5 for Hill + their second. Gain Geelong's second for Steven or Constable at best.

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool

Geelong are going to ask for 2 x first rounders or equivalent for Kelly. They view Steven as get-table without a trade at all, but will part with their second rounder for him to keep relationships on going.

Newnes is a FA. To be honest - I'd rather keep Dunstan now if we can't bring in a better big bodied mid.

I think the best case scenario out of this, if we can swap pick 5 for Hill + their second. Gain Geelong's second for Steven or Constable at best.

Yuck.

Rather not do any of those deals.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda

Come on Mikka, Gellongs 2nd is going to be about pick 40.
So Stuv is worth about the same as Newens???
No way man, that's crazy negativity. Snap out of it!!!

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
Some will be out of our hands, some won't.

I'm not fussed giving our first rounder for someone good this year. Nothing much in the draft that suits our needs at the top end.

A couple of second rounders, we might pick up a gem.

I’m not as enamoured as others about Hill. Nice player but he won’t take a game by the scruff of the neck and drag the team along with him.

He is definitely not worth an early 1st RDP even if there is a later pick coming back.

As far as Jack Steven is concerned I made my views clear on this early. If all Geelong offer is a 2nd RDP then we tell them to shove it. They pay fair value regardless of the circumstances. He won our B&F last year, was electrifying earlier this year and has 3-4 years of elite football ahead of him.

We look after Jack but we don’t get walked over in the process. Fair is fair.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Come on Mikka, Gellongs 2nd is going to be about pick 40.
So Stuv is worth about the same as Newens???
No way man, that's crazy negativity. Snap out of it!!!
I think he's worth a first rounder. We all do. And we deserve that.. Reality is, Geelong believe if they play hard ball, they can get him for nothing. Coming straight from their mouths. But they aren't a bad club to deal with and like doing deals early. I think at best, we'll get Constable.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’m not as enamoured as others about Hill. Nice player but he won’t take a game by the scruff of the neck and drag the team along with him.

He is definitely not worth an early 1st RDP even if there is a later pick coming back.

As far as Jack Steven is concerned I made my views clear on this early. If all Geelong offer is a 2nd RDP then we tell them to shove it. They pay fair value regardless of the circumstances. He won our B&F last year, was electrifying earlier this year and has 3-4 years of elite football ahead of him.

We look after Jack but we don’t get walked over in the process. Fair is fair.
That's the good thing about footy - we all have various views. I don't think Hill is Nat Fyfe. But I do think he's not far off Shiel or equivalent. More importantly, he fills a very bad need we have. Not many other players can. Gaff probably the only other better that him in that position. You either bite the bullet, get a deal done to improve the side straight away, or you go to the draft and hope one of the back flankers available turns out to be half as good as Hill. A triple premiership player, B&F winner and elite ball user.

Steven will be what it will be. My understanding, it's go home or go home this year. What he's going through is more than the club.

Lenny2020

Cancelled
Feb 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Liked him before injury but I think I'll punch something if we get another slow burn injury bargain.

I’m the same. But if we can get Bytel right and get him close to his potential then it’s worth it. I think we will be pleasantly surprised at Bytel’s ability. Kemp could be a similar type, just with a bit more talent.

Could you imagine those two bulls as our inside mid duo? Two 190cm monsters with class on the outside, complemented by the Rolls Royce of Clark and the speed and awareness machine in Coffield? Throw in Gresham and Billings and you’ve got a complete midfield.

That’s my dream. It’s not far-fetched either.

For starters he’s 29, doesn’t have physical issues, won a bnf last year and can win games on his own. Let alone the fact that if he’s not still our best player, he’s damn close.

If we had a choice we wouldn’t part with him at all. I am honestly surprised how many St Kilda supporters are happy at the prospect of watching this bloke win games for the cats for say the next 3 years while we enjoy some bloke taken late in the draft playing vfl in his place at our club.
Non of us want him gone but if next year is going to be more of this year when he is 30 , yes 30 at the start of the season if your going to nit pick , well getting something is better than nothing and just because he may have been our best player last year im not sure that means a hell of a lot as he really didnt have a lot of competition IMO

Armoooo

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
How
I think he's worth a first rounder. We all do. And we deserve that.. Reality is, Geelong believe if they play hard ball, they can get him for nothing. Coming straight from their mouths. But they aren't a bad club to deal with and like doing deals early. I think at best, we'll get Constable.

How do Geelong plan on getting a contracted player for nothing?

I would like to see something like

St Kilda Trade: Jack Steven and Pick 40
St Kilda Gain: Brad Hill and Charlie Constable

Fremantle Trade: Brad Hill, Pick 8 and Pick 26
Fremantle Gain: Tim Kelly and Pick 40

Geelong Trade: Tim Kelly, Charlie Constable
Geelong Gain: Jack Steven, Pick 8 and Pick 26

We need to be on the phone to make sure that by signing Stephen Hill that Freo get a top 25 compensation pick to balance things out.

If it means that the AFL don't have to deal with a mentally unwell player being refused the option of returning home I think they'll come to the table.

It's not being greedy Risky... Geelong will back themselves to get Stuv 100% and back to his best. Otherwise why would they want him?

The price will be based on that.

It's not like he's got irreparable physical injuries that have slowed him down... he's got an issue that can be managed and then overcome. Especially if he's closer to his family for support, back where he feels at peace. Plus there's also the fact that when he's played this year, even running at 60% rat power, he's shown that he's star.

It's imperative IMO that we can use whatever we get for Stuv to acquire Hill. And that means a 1st round pick.
Ok , i never said he was injured and how do you know that moving 45 mins down the road will cure all his issues , im pretty sure you dont even know what his issues are just like the rest of us

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
How

How do Geelong plan on getting a contracted player for nothing?

I would like to see something like

St Kilda Trade: Jack Steven and Pick 40
St Kilda Gain: Brad Hill and Charlie Constable

Fremantle Trade: Brad Hill, Pick 8 and Pick 26
Fremantle Gain: Tim Kelly and Pick 40

Geelong Trade: Tim Kelly, Charlie Constable
Geelong Gain: Jack Steven, Pick 8 and Pick 26

We need to be on the phone to make sure that by signing Stephen Hill that Freo get a top 25 compensation pick to balance things out.

If it means that the AFL don't have to deal with a mentally unwell player being refused the option of returning home I think they'll come to the table.
They are of the opinion he is happy to sit out a year back home if a trade can't be done. They are happy to wait the year.

Don't mind your scenario. Not sure Geelong goes for that though. They would want something more.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd classify that as a bit of posturing and little else.
Stuv is contracted and if we don't like their price then he plays with us or retires. Either way they don't get him. Good luck if they think he'll keep fit for 18 months and they take him as a 30+ year old rookie in 2021...

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras

The thing is how you rate Kelly v Steven v Hill.

If you rate it Kelly clearly first and Steven and Hill about the same then the three way deal is pretty straight forward. Steven effectively becomes the 2nd first rounder Freo need to secure Kelly. I'd see Kelly as a 2/3/4 and Steven/Hill as 15 to 20

There will be some arguing around the edges with other players/picks but if Hill names us, then that's what will happen.

The only problem I can see is if Kelly wins the Brownlow in which case you have to start valuing him as a Number 1 draft pick and then Freo will need a top 5 pick to add to their first rounder to secure him.

If they then come to us looking for that pick I'd be asking for Langdon as well as Brad Hill.

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

That's absolutely not a balanced deal. Neither of those are. Geelong and Freo would be getting away with murder if those trades happen.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda

Yeah I think that's the best we can hope for. Anyone expecting more is setting themselves up for disappointment I reckon.

We are going to lose Stuv for not a lot.

Freo are going to play hard ball with Hill.

If we can get Hill as well as a couple of 2nd round picks or Constable then that's a win for us in a very even draft.

Some will be out of our hands, some won't.

I'm not fussed giving our first rounder for someone good this year. Nothing much in the draft that suits our needs at the top end.

A couple of second rounders, we might pick up a gem.

I reckon it's a long way under for Stuv unless we aren't paying any of his wage.

Back