Analysis 2019 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside 50 count can be a little misleading on its own. Cats have won only 5 inside 50 counts this year yet are 11-1. They lost the count last night but won by 11 goals and belted Demons by 80 earlier in the year but lost the inside 50 count by 24.

Eagles also. They average the same amount of inside 50s as us. They are just converting those opportunities into scores.

When they beat Adelaide a couple of weeks ago they had 12 less inside 50s and last week they had only 52 (above their average) but scored 133 points.

Inside 50's are some indication.

Here is the table for inside 50's (the top 8 in bold)

1. Port Adelaide
2. Melbourne
3. Collingwood
4. Western Bulldogs
5. GWS
6. Richmond
7. Brisbane

8. Fremantle
9. Geelong
10. St Kilda
11. Adelaide
12. Essendon
13. North Melbourne
14. Hawthorn
15. West Coast
16. Gold Coast
17. Carlton
18. Sydney

So West Coast is the outlier there, but teams that are in the top half of the table in inside 50's are more likely to be in the top 8.

Inside 50s is probably a less useful stat than Inside 50 differential. And obviously you'd expect it to correlate to how strong a footy team is and how much it wins, but its clear that inside 50 QUALITY is much more important than quantity in the current metagame of Aussie rules. 2 years ago it was clearly what riochmond had mastered where it was probably more about quantity, getting it in and locking it in through pressure leading to intercept marks. but thats clearly shifted, the three strongest teams this year are sitting 5, 9 and 15 in that table. It correlates to success, but clearly other things would correlate more (scoring shots, accuracy etc). We need to focus on getting the ball going our way from the center a LOT more, because we aren't winning a premiership from 18th, but and just looking at our list and the weekly statsheet, I think we are hoping to produce a new metagame because they do tend to shift every few years. In the I'd say 2 seasons until we are contending again the ideal gameplan wont be what it is now.

Inside 50s is probably a less useful stat than Inside 50 differential. And obviously you'd expect it to correlate to how strong a footy team is and how much it wins, but its clear that inside 50 QUALITY is much more important than quantity in the current metagame of Aussie rules. 2 years ago it was clearly what riochmond had mastered where it was probably more about quantity, getting it in and locking it in through pressure leading to intercept marks. but thats clearly shifted, the three strongest teams this year are sitting 5, 9 and 15 in that table. It correlates to success, but clearly other things would correlate more (scoring shots, accuracy etc). We need to focus on getting the ball going our way from the center a LOT more, because we aren't winning a premiership from 18th, but and just looking at our list and the weekly statsheet, I think we are hoping to produce a new metagame because they do tend to shift every few years. In the I'd say 2 seasons until we are contending again the ideal gameplan wont be what it is now.

Ah sorry for not saying it but the above stats are inside 50 differential's as like you said it is a much better stat to use than the pure inside 50 numbers.

1. Port Adelaide
2. Melbourne
3. Collingwood
4. Western Bulldogs
5. GWS
6. Richmond
7. Brisbane

8. Fremantle
9. Geelong
10. St Kilda
11. Adelaide
12. Essendon
13. North Melbourne
14. Hawthorn
15. West Coast
16. Gold Coast
17. Carlton
18. Sydney

So West Coast is the outlier there, but teams that are in the top half of the table in inside 50's are more likely to be in the top 8.

Where did your numbers come from?
I got mine from Footy Wire and they are slightly different?

Team
1 Power 60.2
2 Demons 57.9
3 Bulldogs 56.3
4 Tigers 55.1
5 Lions 55.0
6 Magpies 54.9
7 Dockers 53.9
8 Giants 53.2
9 Crows 53.1
10 Bombers 52.0
11 Cats 51.5
12 Hawks 51.2
13 Saints 51.2
14 Kangaroos 50.2
15 Eagles 47.3
16 Suns 47.2
17 Swans 47.1
18 Blues 46.9

Yes it is better if you have more, but being more efficient with them is more important. Can have a huge inside 50 count by just pumping the ball in all day long without creating genuine scoring opportunities.

Geelong currently in 1st by a couple of games are 11th. GWS who are 2nd are 8th. West Coast are 4th but ranked 15th (they are ranked 3rd for goals scored per inside 50 at 26%).

1. Port Adelaide
2. Melbourne
3. Collingwood
4. Western Bulldogs
5. GWS
6. Richmond
7. Brisbane

8. Fremantle
9. Geelong
10. St Kilda
11. Adelaide
12. Essendon
13. North Melbourne
14. Hawthorn
15. West Coast
16. Gold Coast
17. Carlton
18. Sydney

Inside 50s are of critical importance, cant svore if the ball isnt in there. We have been flogged in inside 50s for as long as I can remember.

Inside 50s are of critical importance, cant svore if the ball isnt in there. We have been flogged in inside 50s for as long as I can remember.
We lost the inside 50 count by 12 yesterday and won by 40+. Getting the ball inside 50 is important but whether you do it more often than the opposition is irrelevant. How you use the ball inside 50 is all that counts.

Last edited:
We lost the inside 50 count by 12 yesterday and won by 40+. Getting the ball inside 50 is important but whether you do it or more often than the opposition is irrelevant. How you use the ball inside 50 is all that counts.

True but it still has to get there first!

Given the paucity of I50 we get, efficiency of entry and quality of use is imperative. Stevie J is arguably our most effective assistant coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back