List Mgmt. 2019 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Onto the trade season - heading into the draft, we hold picks 11, 17, 53 and 75 (of the picks that hold points value). In my view, the aim of this draft will be to get Green, potentially a pick before Green, Delahunty (with Patton likely leaving) and Peatling as a rookie.

Tomlinson, Bonar and Patton look like the only likely trades.

Some hypotheticals:

Tomlinson to Melbourne - maybe end of 2nd rd FA compo, around pick 40 (after GCS PP, F/S and academy picks)

Bonar to Melbourne - Bonar + 12 + 18 for 3 (after GCS PP) + 21; values Bonar around at 853 points/~pick 22

Patton to Hawthorn - Patton for Hawthorn 3rd rd pick (~pick 45)

GWS future 2nd rd pick to WB for ~picks 47+ 49

Leaves us with, albeit tentatively, picks 3, 21, 40, 45, 47, 49, 53, 75

We could use 3 on someone like Ash/Young who would add to our HBF or wing position. We need fast players with good kicking and these guys sound the goods. Could release Williams to be a full time mid in the future.

Picks 21 + 40 + 45 + 47 is equivalent to 1970 points and would be adequate to match bids up to pick 4 for Green.

Pick 49 can be used to match for Delahunty.

I am not too clear about how we repay the points debt from last year, nor do I know how much we owe. But pick 53 + 75 can be used to hopefully repay that.

Still doesnt give a real fix to the ruck issue, but with the club seemingly reluctant to chase young rucks with promise e.g. Reilly O'Brien, Soldo, Ratugolea or Darcy Cameron, I dont anticipate a long-term fix to the problem this year unless Briggs/Flynn come good quickly. Lets hope Jacobs can give us some cover for a year or two.

Is this how it's looking?

Out

Deledio
Simpson
Bonar
Tomlinson
J Buckley
D Buckley

In

Jacobs
5 x draftees
Also Patton as an Out.

Bonar is the interesting one for me.
He was being tried as a half forward at the end of the NEAFL season. His pressure was pretty good.
He might get another year unless he wants to go back to WA as a delisted FA.

Another possibility is to trade for another out of favour back-up ruck.

It's going to be exciting with Tom Green, Caldwell and Hately pushing for games next year.

Onto the trade season - heading into the draft, we hold picks 11, 17, 53 and 75 (of the picks that hold points value). In my view, the aim of this draft will be to get Green, potentially a pick before Green, Delahunty (with Patton likely leaving) and Peatling as a rookie.

Tomlinson, Bonar and Patton look like the only likely trades.

Some hypotheticals:

Tomlinson to Melbourne - maybe end of 2nd rd FA compo, around pick 40 (after GCS PP, F/S and academy picks)

Bonar to Melbourne - Bonar + 12 + 18 for 3 (after GCS PP) + 21; values Bonar around at 853 points/~pick 22

Patton to Hawthorn - Patton for Hawthorn 3rd rd pick (~pick 45)

GWS future 2nd rd pick to WB for ~picks 47+ 49

Leaves us with, albeit tentatively, picks 3, 21, 40, 45, 47, 49, 53, 75

We could use 3 on someone like Ash/Young who would add to our HBF or wing position. We need fast players with good kicking and these guys sound the goods. Could release Williams to be a full time mid in the future.

Picks 21 + 40 + 45 + 47 is equivalent to 1970 points and would be adequate to match bids up to pick 4 for Green.

Pick 49 can be used to match for Delahunty.

I am not too clear about how we repay the points debt from last year, nor do I know how much we owe. But pick 53 + 75 can be used to hopefully repay that.

Still doesnt give a real fix to the ruck issue, but with the club seemingly reluctant to chase young rucks with promise e.g. Reilly O'Brien, Soldo, Ratugolea or Darcy Cameron, I dont anticipate a long-term fix to the problem this year unless Briggs/Flynn come good quickly.
Bonar plus 12 and 18 for 3 would be a steal for the ages

Bonar plus 12 and 18 for 3 would be a steal for the ages
Just hoping the fact Melbourne has stated an interest in splitting their top pick (especially if they lose out on Rowell and Anderson), the eveness of the next tier of players means the prospect of getting Bonar (fulfills their need of an inside mid with speed and 2 years of experience) and 2 strong picks is worth it.

Also Patton as an Out.

Bonar is the interesting one for me.
He was being tried as a half forward at the end of the NEAFL season. His pressure was pretty good.
He might get another year unless he wants to go back to WA as a delisted FA.

Another possibility is to trade for another out of favour back-up ruck.

It's going to be exciting with Tom Green, Caldwell and Hately pushing for games next year.
Tom Green needs to increase his tank before he gets many senior games.

Has there actually been any half reliable rumours for Bonar apart from "He might leave"

Will be a third year player next year, talk of delisting is ridiculous

If Bonar is traded it will be mainly cap related. He has finished his initial contract which is a base contract plus match payments. His 2 year extension is 350-400k+ (estimate) which is not yet justified for his output/prospects and more than likely not possible for us given all our high priced re-signings. I like bits and pieces of what he’s shown and as an inside mid who’s had big injuries he needs patience.

In moving him, Patton, Deledio, Tomlinson we clear a lot of space which we likely replace with draftees on base contracts or role players on lesser deals.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why he thinks small forward is necessary, I reckon we have addressed that in the last couple of drafts?
He likely forgot about Langdon who fits that need perfectly. Assuming D Buckley goes you'd think they might try and draft another of these.

It actually was quite a good analysis I thought. Especially Ward and Coniglio back meaning both Williams and Whitfield go back to half back to set up with their class and run.

Surprised he did not touch on the need to find a Shaw replacement.

Surprised he did not touch on the need to find a Shaw replacement.
I'm not sure Langdon is consistent quality, he's not in first 22. A Jarman Impey type, strong overhead, would be the class level to go for.
I'm also excited to see what XO offers next year, apparently he has pace.
Shaw replacement in-house, still feel that Pez will move back there from a wing, and with Cumming coming on, Kenners will battle to stay in first 22.
Lloyd and Reid might also make way, if Bonar stays he more upside than Lloyd, not sure who can replace Reid's multi-various role-playing.

Sounds to me like they are very bullish on Flynn medium to long term and don't want to bring in a Pittonet/Cameron type to potentially stifle him for opportunity.

Potentially Mummy is only there in 2020 as a "break glass in case of emergency" option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back