List Mgmt. 2019 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for this info as I thought the club would have gone into deficit for the Briggs selection, not a huge amount and I don't think any other club did the same

* The Giants went into deficit by 44 DVI points to match a bid for Academy prospect Kieren Briggs during the 2018 NAB AFL Draft, meaning 44 points will be deducted from their pick during the corresponding round of next year’s draft. As they have already traded away a future second-round selection in the 2019 draft, the points will be deducted from their third-round selection.

The draft picks the club has for next year assuming the same ladder positions
8 13 49 73 85 103 Total points 3059
#8 = Essendon 1st round
#73 = Carlton 5th round
A lot to happen but it seems to be similar points in total to 2017 draft at this stage but the key to next season IMO has to be securing the signatures of Kelly and Coniglio and hopefully before the season starts for both
Kelly and Coniglio are getting all the attention for next year. I think we'll fight hard to keep Kelly, and all the indications are Cogs is very invested in the club.

Haynes is also off contract and an RFA next year. He's a very important player.

Best 22 players Tommo, Himmelburg, Hopper and De Boer are as well. The first three would no problem attracting interest if they wanted to. De Boer would be a great addition to any young team developing, but whether clubs would recognise that is not clear.

Fringe players like Daniels and Flynn as well. I think both have a strong future at the club.

There's a lot if work to do, and a bit of a balancing act. I wouldn't necessarily like to see Kelly retained at the expense of a number of the others for example. I get he's a priority though.

You'd think at least a couple of the draftees will be extended as well but their contracts are fixed until the 2021 season. Daniels till 2020.

Hopefully this years adjustment has put us in the right place to sign them all.

Kelly and Coniglio are getting all the attention for next year. I think we'll fight hard to keep Kelly, and all the indications are Cogs is very invested in the club.

Haynes is also off contract and an RFA next year. He's a very important player.

Best 22 players Tommo, Himmelburg, Hopper and De Boer are as well. The first three would no problem attracting interest if they wanted to. De Boer would be a great addition to any young team developing, but whether clubs would recognise that is not clear.

Fringe players like Daniels and Flynn as well. I think both have a strong future at the club.

There's a lot if work to do, and a bit of a balancing act. I wouldn't necessarily like to see Kelly retained at the expense of a number of the others for example. I get he's a priority though.

You'd think at least a couple of the draftees will be extended as well but their contracts are fixed until the 2021 season. Daniels till 2020.

Hopefully this years adjustment has put us in the right place to sign them all.

I think the club has a policy that the player needs to justify the salary they are getting, for example injured players being traded and also young players who have not proven they are best 22. This is just my opinion but if you look at the trading this year primarily with Scully and Setterfield. from this I would say Patton, Flynn and Buntine would be the ones under the pump and then the 2017 draftees need to prove themselves and really put pressure on the incumbents although this is offset by the potential retirements Deledio, Shaw, Reid and I would think one of Simpson or Mumford could be let go. The one I think could be under pressure at the end of next year is MDB as with the amount of young talent around although it would depend on salary and again a lot of water to flow under the bridge
It will be interesting to see how Daniels goes with a preseason as I was a bit underwelhmed by his impact but as a 1st year small forward and the injury in the pre season I am sure he is training the house down this pre season

I think the club has a policy that the player needs to justify the salary they are getting, for example injured players being traded and also young players who have not proven they are best 22. This is just my opinion but if you look at the trading this year primarily with Scully and Setterfield. from this I would say Patton, Flynn and Buntine would be the ones under the pump and then the 2017 draftees need to prove themselves and really put pressure on the incumbents although this is offset by the potential retirements Deledio, Shaw, Reid and I would think one of Simpson or Mumford could be let go. The one I think could be under pressure at the end of next year is MDB as with the amount of young talent around although it would depend on salary and again a lot of water to flow under the bridge
It will be interesting to see how Daniels goes with a preseason as I was a bit underwelhmed by his impact but as a 1st year small forward and the injury in the pre season I am sure he is training the house down this pre season
De Boer is 28 and isn't going anywhere soon. I think with Buntine it's more about opportunity, he may leave if he cant stay in the 22. I think he'll get some sort if offer though.

The re-signing of Kenners and Bunts in 2017 shortly after they did ACL's belies the notion that we seek to dump injured players as a matter of policy. It would be a dangerous one to have for harmony anyway.

This year should be viewed as a one off reset I think.

I wonder if the underwhelmed by Daniels thing is the result of watching video without seeing see the pressure he's applying in the background? If he cuts off an option for example and the ball goes elsewhere you wont see it on the video. It's partly why I have a strong preference for watching live.

I was looking for this info as I thought the club would have gone into deficit for the Briggs selection, not a huge amount and I don't think any other club did the same

* The Giants went into deficit by 44 DVI points to match a bid for Academy prospect Kieren Briggs during the 2018 NAB AFL Draft, meaning 44 points will be deducted from their pick during the corresponding round of next year’s draft. As they have already traded away a future second-round selection in the 2019 draft, the points will be deducted from their third-round selection.

The draft picks the club has for next year assuming the same ladder positions
8 13 49 73 85 103 Total points 3059
#8 = Essendon 1st round
#73 = Carlton 5th round
A lot to happen but it seems to be similar points in total to 2017 draft at this stage but the key to next season IMO has to be securing the signatures of Kelly and Coniglio and hopefully before the season starts for both
Very important post

Great info

http://m.afl.com.au/video/2018-12-10/draft-night-drama-tension-builds-as-saints-try-to-do-a-deal

This is quite interesting.

St Kilda LOVED Caldwell and were prepared to give their future 1st rounder for him.

Some sliding doors moments in that they also loved Collier-Dawkins and were prepared to trade in and swap their future 1st for our selection where we took O’Halloran but Richmond spoiled it. They literally “cancelled the order” when that happened.

Amazing insight, bottom line is we got a very highly rated player at pick 11 and if his body stands up should work out very nicely.

Last edited:
I don't think any re-signings will be announced before xmas so hoping for at least 4 before the season starts and hopefully in January we see some movement even if it is a couple of the draftees signing extensions. this is my list in order of priority to re-sign
Kelly
Coniglio
HH
Haynes
Hopper
Tomlinson
I feel with Pattons injury he will never achieve his potential and HH will need to develop into a proven goal scorer and why I rate his importance.
The others I think will depend on how they go through the season and hopefully none of them break the bank
Daniels, De Boer, Lloyd and Buntine Should all hopefully get 1 year extensions and maybe Flynn gets 2. The only other one I would like to see signed up early is Sproule but I think it will depend on if he gets a debut early on in the season but this is the year he needs to play and show the coaches he is up to it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we don’t sell the farm for kelly... or for anyone for that matter.

From media reports we are close to for the Cameron and Greene contracts, both between 900-1 mil per year over the contract lengths and that is why they both need to perform next season IMO

I don't think north is that attractive a destination for 2020. They need more quality than just Josh kelly on his own, so I am hopeful he will resign for 2 years. The concern for me is if Carlton improve and win 8 games or so, especially if Adelaide go poorly giving carlton a decent pick to offer for kelly.

I don't think north is that attractive a destination for 2020. They need more quality than just Josh kelly on his own, so I am hopeful he will resign for 2 years. The concern for me is if Carlton improve and win 8 games or so, especially if Adelaide go poorly giving carlton a decent pick to offer for kelly.
If Kelly was smart he would take full advantage of Coniglio's possible impending departure and sign a two-year extension for huge money with the Giants. Then he would become a free agent himself in 2021 and potentially extract a much bigger (and much longer) contract by auctioning himself to the biggest (probably Victorian) bidder. He would also have less competition for free agency dollars in 2021 with the likes of Boyd, Kolodjashnij, Aish, McCarthy and Lobb already switching clubs. That's what an astute footballer would do if he was trying to maximise his earnings to the enth degree.

Obviously you guys are hoping it doesn't play out like that but football is a business these days and players are often thinking about things from a financial perspective.

If Kelly was smart he would take full advantage of Coniglio's possible impending departure and sign a two-year extension for huge money with the Giants. Then he would become a free agent himself in 2021 and potentially extract a much bigger (and much longer) contract by auctioning himself to the biggest (probably Victorian) bidder. He would also have less competition for free agency dollars in 2021 with the likes of Boyd, Kolodjashnij, Aish, McCarthy and Lobb already switching clubs. That's what an astute footballer would do if he was trying to maximise his earnings to the enth degree.

Obviously you guys are hoping it doesn't play out like that but football is a business these days and players are often thinking about things from a financial perspective.
That turns out not to be the case. Changes to free agency this year means you qualify for time served in the AFL system not with a particular club. So tlsigning fir a further two years gives no advantage.

While player movement us increasing the majority of players off contract or reaching FA do actually resign. I wouldn't be giving any credibility to a scenario that Cogs chooses to go anyway, and he's not the only important re-signing we have have this year.

We're all just gonna have to wait and see what happens.

Tell me more about this

Seriously

What does he need to do to be a success

I actually do think the Andrew's incident affected him. No-one except a sadist wants to hurt people like that. I think it affected his confidence in his judgement in the contest, when a fraction of a second matters. It's a tough one IMO, you cant get it that wrong, but you cant second guess yourself either.

Hopefully he can sort it over the off-season, I expect he will.

Someone on our rumour board made the comment that SOS offered pick 1 (2018) + 2019 1st round selection for Josh Kelly during the trade period.

If GWS knocked that offer back, they must be extremely confident on retaining Kelly.

http://m.afl.com.au/video/2018-12-10/draft-night-drama-tension-builds-as-saints-try-to-do-a-deal

This is quite interesting.

St Kilda LOVED Caldwell and were prepared to give their future 1st rounder for him.

Some sliding doors moments in that they also loved Collier-Dawkins and were prepared to trade in and swap their future 1st for our selection where we took O’Halloran but Richmond spoiled it. They literally “cancelled the order” when that happened.

Amazing insight, bottom line is we got a very highly rated player at pick 11 and if his body stands up should work out very nicely.

A lot of clubs rated Caldwell as the 2nd best midfielder in the draft after Walsh.

Someone on our rumour board made the comment that SOS offered pick 1 (2018) + 2019 1st round selection for Josh Kelly during the trade period.

If GWS knocked that offer back, they must be extremely confident on retaining Kelly.
It's entirely possible the offer was made.

Josh is years from FA though, and Dave Mattews rejected out out of hand Any notion of us trading him this year.

We've shown we'll fight for him already, and I'm not sure what it means. It's a very good offer, although I'm not as confident your 2019 1st will be in the top 3 as some. I'm sure we're working or have worked on a good offer, but his value will probably be as high or possibly higher next year.

Bottom line is whatever happens Kelly wont be cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back