List Mgmt. 2019 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finlayson has been a bit of an enigmatic player up until this year, sometimes going MIA sometimes dropping his head.

That is no longer the case, he has been terrific this year and with Daniels has revitalised our forward line.

He is a seriously talented player and has a lot of hurt factor. We need to tie him up to a new deal.

Finlayson has been a bit of an enigmatic player up until this year, sometimes going MIA sometimes dropping his head.

That is no longer the case, he has been terrific this year and with Daniels has revitalised our forward line.

He is a seriously talented player and has a lot of hurt factor. We need to tie him up to a new deal.

After reading that terrific article through the week it explains a lot about past performances.

I desperately want Tommo to stay, and suspect the squad does too, losing him would be losing some of the glue
There's a contract in front of him supposedly but I'm guessing it's nowhere near what the Southerners are offering.

If it comes down to Thommo or Jezza/Whitfield then the latter is more important.

There's a contract in front of him supposedly but I'm guessing it's nowhere near what the Southerners are offering.

If it comes down to Thommo or Jezza/Whitfield then the latter is more important.
It feels like a Treloar-style scenario.

"Sure, this is what we can offer you. It is what it is. If you leave, so be it."

I am really conflicted over Tommo's future. On one hand, he's an original, and a 'heart and soul of the club' kind of player - the jokes & A-squared stuff - and it could be detrimental to the overall team vibe to lose him (especially if he's seen as being forced out, and also on top of Dawson being a similar 'heart and soul' player leaving). On the other hand, he's not really fulfilled his potential, despite being one of the more durable guys we've had, and so getting something in return for him and help land Tom Green & maybe someone else highly rated makes eminent business sense. I've always said we needed to be hard-edged in approaching the list management game, but now that a hard decision may be needed/made, it sucks.

Finlayson has been a bit of an enigmatic player up until this year, sometimes going MIA sometimes dropping his head. That is no longer the case, he has been terrific this year and with Daniels has revitalised our forward line. He is a seriously talented player and has a lot of hurt factor. We need to tie him up to a new deal.
100% agree. He's started doing the relief rucking, as well, so really claiming that third spot in the forward line. He, Jezza, HH & Daniels are as good a core 4 - add in Toby if he's playing forward to be 5 - of a forward line as any in the comp.

Strange to think that with Lobb's departure some were wondering where the goals were going to come from, whether we'd end up with a 2-tall forward line - and it's just come together so well (after an admittedly bit of a hail Mary selection by Leon early in the year!).

I do hope though that he learns from the Sunshine saga, and that he appreciates not being the main banana, and that his head isn't turned by huge money from an Essendon or a Hawthorn. But he certainly deserves a pay rise.

Shaws value as a one on one defender and then someone who pushes up on a wing is underrated and we don't have a replacement ready to go with his capabilities should he retire. He is a massive asset down back.

Im not sure cumming is the option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Sam Jacobs had a meeting with Carlton today and is a chance to go there.

I have to say I’m a bit indifferent about us signing him. To me he represents the old school ruckman that lacks mobility and endurance that we see in the really elite guys.

It’s a pretty shallow pool with lots of teams needing them so not really sure what we do but won’t be losing sleep if it’s not him.

I have to say I’m a bit indifferent about us signing him. To me he represents the old school ruckman that lacks mobility and endurance that we see in the really elite guys.

It’s a pretty shallow pool with lots of teams needing them so not really sure what we do but won’t be losing sleep if it’s not him.
Yeah I get the "best of a bad bunch" type feeling about him too.

If he goes there then Cameron probably won't and we might end up with him. At 24 he is more in the age profile we might want.

Goldy seems the pick of the bunch but can't see it happening.

I don't know how we are going to address the ruck issue sufficiently- gives me something to look forward to this trade period I expect

"Melbourne believes Tomlinson’s best position is as a wingman"

Probably true, though I really rated his KPD work out of his various roles.

"a position he has struggled to get time in at GWS"

Not really. He's gotten plenty of time there and we've seen his limitations. I love Tommo as a person and I love that he's getting his money's worth out of this.

"Melbourne believes Tomlinson’s best position is as a wingman"

Probably true, though I really rated his KPD work out of his various roles.

"a position he has struggled to get time in at GWS"

Not really. He's gotten plenty of time there and we've seen his limitations. I love Tommo as a person and I love that he's getting his money's worth out of this.

He's a bit of an awkward one as he has attributes to be a defender (height/marking ability) and a winger (aerobic capacity). With his height he can be a difficult match up but his major drawback is his lack of agility. From here you either turn him into a full time defender in which case he retains his bulk or you strip him right back and turn him into a running machine winger.

I think he is more a winger but only if he strips off a lot of bulk and really works on his agility. At the moment he cant really play the position he needs too with us as we have coverage there and I think its unfair to judge him on his performances when filling in as he has a defenders body.

He has always played his best footy at the wide expanses of the MCG so I think if he got to Melbourne and they just said "Righto you're a full time winger" and got him back to the right body shape he could be a very useful player. Presently with his bulk he is too cumbersome and can really be exposed with ground balls as he just doesn't react quickly enough.

He has some to die for specs but needs to get the correct body shape and environment (MCG) to really thrive IMHO.

With the Hawks locking up Ceglar it is another name of the list of potential recruits for the ruck position at the club next year and although a few have doubts over Jacobs as a ruck I do agree he is at the age where his body could be an issue but the options for next years ruck team look to be from
Jacobs
Briggs
Keefe
Mumford
Cameron
Ryder I still think he could be a chance for the club

Also with Ceglar signing we can look forward to a token pick for Patton in a trade

However right now if mummy goes a Ruckman from the under 14's will do, because we don't really have anyone else

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

For those that have been talking about draft prospects for this year apart from Green and some late academy picks I would like WA's ruck forward Luke Jackson and another one who plays as a rebounding defeneder/outside mid is Jeremy Sharp also from WA and depending on what the club ends up with in terms of draft picks I hope they manage to keep a pick around the mid teens to pick up someone who can play from next year

Profiles from ESPNs Chris Dorre

16. Jeremy Sharp

Best position:
General defence/outside midfield

Height, weight: 187cm, 79kg

Recruited from: East Fremantle

Projected draft range: 10-40

Plays like: Jasper Pittard

August Rankings: 16

Rationale: One of the premier rebounding defenders and outside runners in the draft. His speed, endurance and ball use are his greatest assets. Drops as others rise.

Strengths: Speed, endurance, line breaking capabilities, evasion, composure and decision making with ball in hand, vision, long and damaging kick, versatility to play in defence or on a wing

Weaknesses: Contested ball winning, unclear midfield capabilities, intercept marking

13. Luke Jackson

Best position:
Ruck

Height, weight: 198cm, 94kg

Recruited from: East Fremantle

Projected draft range: 5-30

Plays like: Paddy Ryder

August Rankings: 16

Rationale: A raw, athletic, high leaping ruckman who made the decision to pursue football instead of basketball. An aggressive tackler who follows up powerfully from ruck contests often winning first possession. Rises on the back of dominant WAFL colts play.

Strengths: High leaper, follow-up work, contested ball winning, tackling, contested marking, aerial marking, reading of the ball in flight, endurance

Weaknesses: Shorter than is ideal for a ruckman, raw, skills, running patterns, struggles to find the ball outside the contest

Another name we should look at is Sam Murray from the pies

Set the game alight with his run and carry but then has missed a large chunk due to this doping ban

Wouldn’t cost us much but might be a ready made replacement off half back as well

At this time of year im a real sucker for a trade article. Im particularly interested in how we are solving the ruck question.
At this stage we only have Briggs and Flynn as guranteed rucks on the list next year. I would honestly be disappointed if we couldn't fix the problem and had to play mummy again. What is shocking to me is that we are only seemingly linked to Jacobs in these articles.

Most lists would have 4 ruck positions on it at various stages of their career. This would mean that if we are only bringing jacobs in that we are:
a) keeping mummy on the list
b) counting part timers like Keefe as the 4th ruck option.

I just don't know why we aren't pushing harder for a Cameron for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back