Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2018 National and Rookie Drafts will be completed later today and we'll all know who makes up our Playing List.

How will the players we acquired during the trade period complement what we've already got??? Will our draftees prove to be the missing pieces of the jigsaw puzzle??? And can the new crop of Rookies be good enough to make their way onto the main list in the next year or so???

We've made changes to our High Performance, Coaching and Fitness Staff. Will they prove to be the difference for players such as Cuningham, Fasolo, Williamson, Setterfield and Pickett??? Can they accelerate the development of TDK, Macreadie, LOB, Dow and SPS???

Who are you expecting to step up and who do you think is skating on thin ice??? Who do you think will come into the side and who goes out and why??? No playing list is perfect of course, so what areas would do you think SOS, Agresta and Brodie still need to address??? Should we still be aggressive chasing out of contract stars or with our lack of Picks should we be concentrating on Free Agents???

You lot have never been backwards in coming forwards. Go for it.

Who are you expecting to step up and who do you think is skating on thin ice??? Who do you think will come into the side and who goes out and why??? No playing list is perfect of course, so what areas would do you think SOS, Agresta and Brodie still need to address??? Should we still be aggressive chasing out of contract stars or with our lack of Picks should we be concentrating on Free Agents???
Noticeably Stepping up: SPS, Weitering, Macreadie, Polson, Dow
Thin Ice: Pickett, Lebois, Casboult, Phillips, to a lesser extent, Garlett and Cuningham.

Needs addressing: A developmental KPD and ruck. A midfielder or two and a lockdown smaller defender.

Don’t see too much need to be aggressively trading or aggressively spending for FAs. Except maybe if we can shake a top line ruckman free.

I think we need more pace in our side/list.

Need TW, DC, JP, CP to come on, plus we need to recruit more speed (preferably than have some goal sense).

Also need a more immediate ruck replacement (around 23-24yrs old) than DTK, but that won't happen till we delist Philips or Lobbe. Really need better spacing in the age of rucks on the list.

Love our list now. Will not write anyone off. I think we need to add another draftee plus BSOS then some more mature bodies to help with depth, development, competition for spots and a very good reserves side.

Most positions looked well covered.

If possible a young ruck and a small forward would be very handy.

Recruitment from here on out should be very needs-based.

Find us a Melksham, a Tipungwuti, a Nankervis. Blokes who can come in and do a specific job while the kids continue to develop, and who cost very little.

3 or 4 of those does much more for us than a single big fish, in my view.

Love our list now. Will not write anyone off. I think we need to add another draftee plus BSOS then some more mature bodies to help with depth, development, competition for spots and a very good reserves side.

Most positions looked well covered.

If possible a young ruck and a small forward would be very handy.

Agree with you Soapy V. No more bemoaning any spot on our list. I can't remember seeing this much talent on a CFC list, and our midfield could be a genuine force in 18 months' time.

That said, the chips are now in the middle. Another <4 win season next year and we'll be waving goodbye to our coaching panel, and arguably some members of the administration. Par should actually be 6 wins, minimum

Agree with you Soapy V. No more bemoaning any spot on our list. I can't remember seeing this much talent on a CFC list, and our midfield could be a genuine force in 18 months' time.

That said, the chips are now in the middle. Another <4 win season next year and we'll be waving goodbye to our coaching panel, and arguably some members of the administration. Par should actually be 6 wins, minimum

That’s a bit harsh Cookie Monster. Completion of next year will be first year of a decent fit list. I’d give them a couple a years to judge. Also the admin are going well. Put a good list together so Tick from me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

THE MIDFIELD REBUILD: Feels a bit like GWS 2.0. the way SOS has gone about it. Getting a core of young, talented midfielders all in a bunch

Cripps, Murphy and Curnow the 3 midfielders that we still have (pre-SOS era)

2015 Draft: Kennedy and Cuningham (main focus was elite KPPs in Weiters, McKay, Marchbank, Curnow etc)
2016 Draft: SPS, Setterfield and Fisher
2017 Draft: Dow and LOB
2018 Draft: Walsh and Stocker

This rebuild has truly been incredible. Other than expansion teams, I'm not sure there has been such a focused, disciplined effort to focus on targeting the draft so effectively.

#SOS

THE MIDFIELD REBUILD: Feels a bit like GWS 2.0. the way SOS has gone about it. Getting a core of young, talented midfielders all in a bunch

Cripps, Murphy and Curnow the 3 midfielders that we still have (pre-SOS era)

2015 Draft: Kennedy and Cuningham (main focus was elite KPPs in Weiters, McKay, Marchbank, Curnow etc)
2016 Draft: SPS, Setterfield and Fisher
2017 Draft: Dow and LOB
2018 Draft: Walsh and Stocker

This rebuild has truly been incredible. Other than expansion teams, I'm not sure there has been such a focused, disciplined effort to focus on targeting the draft so effectively.

#SOS

Could probably go further:

Veterans: Murphy & Ed
2013: Cripps & Lang
2014: Pickett & Garlett (still reckon both are outside mid/wings)
2015: Kennedy & Cuningham
2016: Setterfield, Samo, Fisher & Polson
2017: Dow & O’Brien
2018: Walsh & Stocker

Plus some flanker/fwd/def types who might play some midfield time like Docherty, Williamson, Silvagni, Curnow, Schumacher, etc

Then there’s our young(ish) taller types: Curnow, Weitering, McKay, Marchbank, McGovern, Plowman, De Koning, Kerr, Macreadie, Silvagni x 2...

Could probably go further:

Veterans: Murphy & Ed
2013: Cripps & Lang
2014: Pickett & Garlett (still reckon both are outside mid/wings)
2015: Kennedy & Cuningham
2016: Setterfield, Samo, Fisher & Polson
2017: Dow & O’Brien
2018: Walsh & Stocker

Plus some flanker/fwd/def types who might play some midfield time like Docherty, Williamson, Silvagni, Curnow, Schumacher, etc

Then there’s our young(ish) taller types: Curnow, Weitering, McKay, Marchbank, McGovern, Plowman, De Koning, Kerr, Macreadie, Silvagni x 2...

Yes but this does not fit my narrative (that SOS is a genius) :D:p;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So now we’ve taken the four kids in the ND our senior list total is up to 40.

Alongside LeBois and Owies I’m guessing we might take 3 more rookies?

Perhaps 3 of the guys training with us: Lamb, Goddard, Bugg, Fisher or Blakey?

Or 2 of them and another young small forward project?

Silvagni interviewed on sen. Only 2 picks in rookie draft. Keeping the other for mid season draft.

It's not harsh. It's setting a bar, and it isn't even that high
what's harsh is your execrable avatar - now you can piss people off without saying a thing - well done, quality thinking.........

So now we’ve taken the four kids in the ND our senior list total is up to 40.

Alongside LeBois and Owies I’m guessing we might take 3 more rookies?

Perhaps 3 of the guys training with us: Lamb, Goddard, Bugg, Fisher or Blakey?

Or 2 of them and another young small forward project?

We're expecting to leave a rookie spot open for the mid-season draft next year (where I assume we have pick 1).

I'd expect one mature age draftee at most, but then again we took Shaw last year... :(

So, from the trade and draft period:

Trades: Newman, McGovern, Setterfield
Draft: Walsh, Stocker, O'Dwyer, Silvagni

Traded 2019 first to Adelaide, in exchange for their 2019 pick and 19 (Stocker). Traded 2019 second to GWS (Setterfield). Traded 2019 fourth to Sydney (Newman).

So, next year we have Adelaide's first and our third.

I'd actually argue that this, given our needs and our picks, and just how little went our way this time around (traded McGovern for more than we would've wished, didn't get Shiel) is probably SOS's best trade/draft combined. We went into the draft expecting Walsh and Ben Silvagni, and emerged with a ready to go inside midfielder with quality disposal by foot, we picked up incredible talent in Walsh and Setterfield, whilst simultaneously bolstering our tall stocks with McGovern and our back flank (where we are far, far shorter than it would seem, given that we've lost Tuohy, Byrne and McDaid in the space of two years) with Newman and Doc to come back in. We've picked up two speculative picks in Silvagni and O'Dwyer, who could be anything (and, given where they were taken, if they become anything at all it's a huge, huge bonus!).

I'm surprised at how much we've managed to get in, given our resources at the beginning of it all, and the extent to which others (read, Adelaide and GWS) tried to play hardball with us to finagle pick 1 away. Especially happy with Stocker, Setterfield and Newman, although I'll be keen to see if O'Dwyer can become a player (and if BSOS has the grit to step up). Still a lot of what ifs about our list, though, but it's such a far cry away from what we used to do when I first started following our drafting, where we'd neglect the draft outside the first two rounds, refuse to trade anything, then draft players on the basis of what they could be rather than what they were. Much more moving parts now, and much more promise in the players selected.

I'm actually with cookie monster. 6 wins next year, given the much improved depth, the improved maturity, the fitness coach in Russell, and - hopefully, touch wood, fingers crossed, looking around for a black cat to ensure I don't cross the bloody thing's path - less injury. We really should be on the improve. We won 6 wins two years ago, and 2 wins is definitely not where we were at last year sans injury.

I'm really looking forward to the new season now.

Make or break years for these lads; Cuningham, JSOS, Garlett, Jones and Pickett.

Older players who will probably move on at the end of 2019; Simpson, Casboult, Thomas, Lobbe.

You wouldn't really want to be making another 9 list changes so hopefully a couple from the first group can step up.

Amazing off season imo!

- The 2 people i desperately wanted on our list we got (Setterfield and Walsh).

- The guy i think can help most in 2019 of all our recruits is McGovern. He will help Harry and Charlie out in their development more than many think.

Stocker the surprise and we hold onto a mid 1st next year. Im not expecting us to finish out of the bottom 4 but i don't care. The adelaide pick will get traded and i see us going hard for Josh Kelly with the adelaide pick (approx 12) and our 1st in 2020.

Overall it was a well rounded off season. More talent through the door. 2 highly rated mids through the draft that will both get games etc etc.

Looking forward to a more competitive year in 2019 before coming out of the blocks in 2020. Laugh at the losses this year people and don't get down on the team, because after 2019 we are on the up, massively with this talented group

Seniors:

Simpson Jones Marchbank
Docherty Weitering Williamson
Kreuzer Cripps Dow
O'Brien ECurnow Fisher
Pickett CCurnow Murphy
Fasolo McKay McGovern

Setterfield Thomas Walsh SPS

NB's:

Garlett Macreadie BSilvagni
Newman Casboult Plowman
Phillips Stocker Lang
Cuningham Kennedy Schumacher
LeBois DeKoning O'Dwyer
JSilvagni Kerr Polson

Lobbe Owies ............ ...............

Look at that.
Swap players from one team to another, but there's 2 balanced squads there.
Given we're holding back a rookie spot, we'll only have the 44 players on the starting list next year.
Also: Reckon Ben Silvagni goes to the back-line. Can't see him start forward.

So, from the trade and draft period:

Trades: Newman, McGovern, Setterfield
Draft: Walsh, Stocker, O'Dwyer, Silvagni

Traded 2019 first to Adelaide, in exchange for their 2019 pick and 19 (Stocker). Traded 2019 second to GWS (Setterfield). Traded 2019 fourth to Sydney (Newman).

So, next year we have Adelaide's first and our third.

I'd actually argue that this, given our needs and our picks, and just how little went our way this time around (traded McGovern for more than we would've wished, didn't get Shiel) is probably SOS's best trade/draft combined. We went into the draft expecting Walsh and Ben Silvagni, and emerged with a ready to go inside midfielder with quality disposal by foot, we picked up incredible talent in Walsh and Setterfield, whilst simultaneously bolstering our tall stocks with McGovern and our back flank (where we are far, far shorter than it would seem, given that we've lost Tuohy, Byrne and McDaid in the space of two years) with Newman and Doc to come back in. We've picked up two speculative picks in Silvagni and O'Dwyer, who could be anything (and, given where they were taken, if they become anything at all it's a huge, huge bonus!).

I'm surprised at how much we've managed to get in, given our resources at the beginning of it all, and the extent to which others (read, Adelaide and GWS) tried to play hardball with us to finagle pick 1 away. Especially happy with Stocker, Setterfield and Newman, although I'll be keen to see if O'Dwyer can become a player (and if BSOS has the grit to step up). Still a lot of what ifs about our list, though, but it's such a far cry away from what we used to do when I first started following our drafting, where we'd neglect the draft outside the first two rounds, refuse to trade anything, then draft players on the basis of what they could be rather than what they were. Much more moving parts now, and much more promise in the players selected.

I'm actually with cookie monster. 6 wins next year, given the much improved depth, the improved maturity, the fitness coach in Russell, and - hopefully, touch wood, fingers crossed, looking around for a black cat to ensure I don't cross the bloody thing's path - less injury. We really should be on the improve. We won 6 wins two years ago, and 2 wins is definitely not where we were at last year sans injury.

I'm really looking forward to the new season now.

my only comment is win/lost should not be a measure
AKA Lions - 5 wins, they showed improvement with the young list, would you be happy with that result?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back