2nds 2019 SANFL Grand Final- Port Adelaide v Glenelg 3pm Sunday 22/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh i've got another one.

What the hell is with Glenelg not only using the Richmond song, but using the actual recording that Richmond use?

At least most clubs that borrow a song change the words up a bit to fit with their club. Imagine having such little self worth as a club that you've aped another club's identity so fully. Glenelg certainly used to have their own thing going but it's just a wannabe Richmond based on what I saw today.

"YELLOW AND BLACK"

the marketing around "A fighting fury".

It's really poor.

Last touch has no place outside of juniors where you cant get boundary umpires. Laughable to have it at a semi professional level.

Extra-baffling that we’re trying to nurture and prepare kids for top-flight football amidst two wildly differing sets of rules.

I await the day one of our young defs/fwds commits some superderpy brainfade that costs a goal at either end because they were trying to avoid a teammate being pinged by the last touch rule.

I lost my voice during that quarter lamenting* at the stupid league with that stupid rule and our stupid gameplay that undid itself every time.

I think it's finally broken me

For me it was all those times we bombed it into the middle and half-forward and literally every Magpie to have ever existed leapt for it like a cocaine-addled mark’s up.

Could not one of them have stayed down to crumb?

The random Glenelgs who effortlessly rebounded must’ve thought their coach had rubbed a genie lamp.

Interesting hearing Phil Hoffman on the Sunday roast this morning talking about when we went for the second license to join the AFL and he was on our board we definitely didn't want a team in the sanfl. We were told they wouldn't sign us off to join unless we agreed to have the maggies in the local comp because they were worried about the huge impact of not having us might have spelt the death knell of them. Went onto say it's not the same magpies as it once was and we actually wanted to totally cut our ties to join the national comp. Basically we'd outgrown these Adel suburban clubs.
This is correct, Port were not going to have a team in the SANFL, but were forced to by the SANFL, so we could get the AFL licence.
Brian Cunningham spoke about it with our Rick.

Extra-baffling that we’re trying to nurture and prepare kids for top-flight football amidst two wildly differing sets of rules.

I await the day one of our young defs/fwds commits some superderpy brainfade that costs a goal at either end because they were trying to avoid a teammate being pinged by the last touch rule.

This might be a stupid question but aren't the ruck rules different too? No single ruck nomination?

Or was I seeing things through my rage hazed eyes

For me it was all those times we bombed it into the middle and half-forward and literally every Magpie to have ever existed leapt for it like a cocaine-addled mark’s up.

Could not one of them have stayed down to crumb?

The random Glenelgs who effortlessly rebounded must’ve thought their coach had rubbed a genie lamp.
verbatim:

WHO'S ******* FRONT AND ******* CENTRE FOR *S SAKE

Yeah, SANFL still allows the third man up. The semi professional nature of the SANFL slows the game down allowing ruckmen to still exist, without needing rules to protect their existence.
This must work wonders for AFL tier ruckmen and rovers developing their craft

Pissant league

Hey we don't all have brand new land cruisers to roll through the hills in bro

Exactly. I mean, you could have pushed out a turgid s**t more fun than Pordadelayfutbal

"Play on!"

24ryifD.jpg

lCITFdY.jpg

74vgihL.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aside from everything else, the last touch rule is perhaps the dumbest rule ever and I can't believe it's lasted this long.

You could burst out of a centre clearance, go long to your leading forward, overcook it just a touch and have it dribble over the line 1m from the point post and for some reason it's a free kick against.

Obviously it was 100 times worse for the patented Ken Hinkley bomb the ball to nobody in the pockets, but it's a dumb rule regardless.

Just like the AFL deliberate rule, it needs an outside to inside 50 disclaimer. No inside 50 should be counted. Teams should not be punished for moving the ball forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Play on!"

24ryifD.jpg

lCITFdY.jpg

74vgihL.jpg

The one that finally made me crack it was a free kick that was actually paid.

It was the one where Lienert was cynically dragged to the ground by a falling Glenelg player as we entered our forward 50 in the 4th. A free was paid, fine, but the total lack of punishment for anything they'd gotten all day meant that that player went, you know what, * it, I might get away with this. That's what kills you with biased umpiring. It's not even the calls that are paid, it's that one team can do whatever the * they want and get away with it, so they push the limits of what should be legal a lot harder and it's huge advantage.

A decent umpire would have paid 25 for such a clear and obvious professional foul as Lienert being dragged down like that.

Aside from everything else, the last touch rule is perhaps the dumbest rule ever and I can't believe it's lasted this long.

On the other hand, it is a rule, and every player on the ground knew it's a rule, and every player on the ground knew we were down and desperately needed to stop conceding rebound 50s if we were any chance of generating forward pressure and scoreboard pressure.

So, what did they do?

bomb the ball to nobody in the pockets

They did this, with the added masterstroke of our forwards making no effort (no matter how futile) to reach the ball before it went out. It only takes one weird bounce or skid for a free kick to become a stoppage (or even a clean possession) and a chance to score.

On the other hand, it is a rule, and every player on the ground knew it's a rule, and every player on the ground knew we were down and desperately needed to stop conceding rebound 50s if we were any chance of generating forward pressure and scoreboard pressure.

So, what did they do?

They did this, with the added masterstroke of our forwards making no effort (no matter how futile) to reach the ball before it went out. It only takes one weird bounce or skid for a free kick to become a stoppage (or even a clean possession) and a chance to score.

I've seen enough Ken Hinkley football to know that bombing the ball to the pockets is how they're coached, and i've also seen enough Ken Hinkley football to know that we don't get any better at scoring using that strategy at AFL level.

We managed to get to the Grand Final. I have no idea how if we entered the forward 50 like that all year.

Frampton and Marshall played like a pair of forwards lacking 30-50 games of development for their age. Shocking for a pair of tallbois from Alberton, I know.

Quite frankly it's a disgrace that those two were even out there for us today. Especially considering the amount of football that Dixon missed this year. Under any half decent coach, at least one and quite possibly both of them wouldn't have been eligible to play today.

Ah well, at least we got plenty of gametime into young Paddy Ryder and Justin Westhoff on our way to 10th.

Quite frankly it's a disgrace that those two were even out there for us today. Especially considering the amount of football that Dixon missed this year. Under any half decent coach, at least one and quite possibly both of them wouldn't have been eligible to play today.

Ah well, at least we got plenty of gametime into young Paddy Ryder and Justin Westhoff on our way to 10th.
So much this. And to think that we ended the year with Howard out of the team also.

Did we successfully transition one young tall forward to our AFL side this year?

No.

And in a year in which Dixon was injured or when fit, essentially ineffective.

I am absolutely gutted. Not just because we lost the Grand Final today.

I am gutted because today its finally sunk in to me that the club i grew up supporting no longer exists. It is dead

Today we saw nothing more than the Port Power reserves (yes i said that deliberately) wiping their arse with our sacred guernsey.
They just didnt give a * today. No desire. No intensity. No hardness.. nothing
You could have chucked a power guernsey on this team today as they played exactly the way the AFL team played and lost the exact same ******* way

The team i grew up supporting would have smashed the living suitcase out of any Glenelg team that thought they had a chance to beat us in a grand final. We have been fed all week the grand finals of old. Scotty Hodges dragging himself on to the ground after busting his knee up in 1990. Against all odds we would grind teams into the dirt in GFs. 1 goal 8 in 1989. 1994 when we were 5 goals down early against the eagles will our way back into the game then put our foot down on their throats. We were feared and hated because of who we were and what we stood for. The PBs gave the other teams nightmares.

I yearn for what i had when i was a little tacker. Now we are nothing more than a soulless franchise masquerading as the PAFC and its killing me.

Today i went. After the first 10 minutes i lost all emotion again because we have seen all this s**t before and i am ******* over it.

It makes me sick because we lost to Glenelg.. ******* Glenelg.. and to think that smug campaigner Graham Cornes would be grinning like a Cheshire cat makes me angry.

Im falling out of love with my football club and its making me incredibly sad.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back