2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If quoting multiple posts and making the same general comment is not making a deal about something...

If you’re allowed to have an opinion, so are other people, which includes asking for a link to a quote.

Only person on a high horse is you telling other people what they can and can’t post about.

I’m very zen about our loss, and had moved on by Monday.

I don’t believe I posted a single comment about the game outside the game thread, here on BF. And those comments were all directed at the umpires, made during half time and three quarter time (and boy does wifi suck at the Gabba).
No prob Briztoon was just having my say along with some checky banter and some sarcasm had a few have a dig that's fine I don't mind it.

Ahh you're one of those lmao Great contribution to the discussion sorry for any mistakes.

Without trying to be a smarta$$ mate, using some simple grammar really does help. I found a few of your posts hard to read. Again, not having a dig, just some genuine feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Without trying to be a smarta$$ mate, using some simple grammar really does help. I found a few of your posts hard to read. Again, not having a dig, just some genuine feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Bad habit of short form text version writing appreciate the feedback didn't take it as a smart ar$$ comment.Cheers 1

Would there be anyway that Adelaide would actually entertain trading both to us? How good would our back 6 look with those 2.

If the price is right...Adelaide is in re-build mode they will be putting players up for trade... From all the talk Laird is very much in the mix

CROWS DEFENDER COULD BE ON THE MOVE
Rory Laird is contracted until the end of 2021, but the star defender could play for another team next season, says Adelaide great Andrew Jarman.
Jarman suggested Adelaide’s disastrous past two seasons could render the club “vulnerable” to losing Laird.
“Vultures have left their nest. He would be a very good pick up with one of these powerhouse, Essendon, Hawthorn-type clubs,” Jarman told Triple M.
“I don’t know what his situation is. But all I’m saying is that those smart clubs, they handpick three or four of the best ones. And he’s on that list.”
Laird has played 143 games since being recruited with Pick 86 in the 2013 draft.

And yet Adelaide’s head of football came out and said they’re not rebuilding.

Yeah. I saw that ..Trouble is they are in the big land of hurt... They've got no coach atm.. coaches in waiting, Josh Francou walked out the door one year into a three-year contract… David Teague left for Carlton after not being offered a contract... As yet they haven't put together a team of selectors in for a new coach...And when the new coach does come in he'll be wanting to make more changes to the football department...Voted by his peers as the best captain, Tex Walker stepped down as Captain. some say he is gettable for the right trade...There is strong talk Burton will be a casualty of the external review with Dunstall & Pavlich on board, further, the rumour mill has 10 veteran players are on the move (Rory Laird, Brodie Smith Eddie Betts, Sam Jacobs, Alex Keath, Hugh Greenwood, Darcy Fogarty, Josh Jenkins and Bryce Gibbs) Mainly because there is too much uncertainty...Players are wary of divulging too much information to the review...So it's the changes in staff and players of the football department you have when you're not having a rebuild. Have a read of the threads on the Adelaide board.

Edit: https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl...aird-dwayne-russel/1fa6yetzcpxdu1apsdci3zu424

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/a...s/news-story/2895591935b2bf7f72c07ffad1bebec1

Last edited:
Looking through the list of players out of contract next year or RFAs there is nothing there I am interested in. Did a bit of homework on Mason Wood because I dont know much about him and Mcstay stacks up better than him: plays to a structure which is the knock on him over on the Norf board; applies more tackles; kicks more goals; plays more games; so he would not even come close to pushing Mcstay out and we don't need another similar type. I like the potential bringing in of Ah Chee, I see how he could potentially add something different to our forward line.

Also think that Keays pressure on Bundy's spot should see him overtake him this off season, and I am also interested in potentially offering Sam Murray a lifeline as halfback depth because he ran hard and could take marks, which suits our need to keep injecting speed and aerial ability

I’m not sure where both Laird and Smith fit in to be honest. If you look at our current back six it looks something like this;

Answerth Andrews Witherden
Rich Adams Gardiner

I really rate Answerth so don’t want to see him relegated, Laird would be an upgrade on Witherden and that could be a possibility where he could be moved to the bench. I see us still playing those 3 lock down defenders in Andrews, Adams, Gardiner etc so where does that leave someone like Smith? Then there is the addition of Ah Chee so where would he be played? Wing, HFF? I’m just curious as to the ‘fit’ of our team that is all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see us still playing those 3 lock down defenders in Andrews, Adams, Gardiner etc so where does that leave someone like Smith? Then there is the addition of Ah Chee so where would he be played? Wing, HFF? I’m just curious as to the ‘fit’ of our team that is all.
Maybe Smith and Ah Chee come in for Bundy and Bailey. Or maybe Witherden gets dropped. In any case, I wouldn't turn up my nose at good talent just to preserve the playing spot of lesser talent (at this moment in time). The premiership window is open and the stronger we get, the more likely we are to get it.

I’m not sure where both Laird and Smith fit in to be honest. If you look at our current back six it looks something like this;

Answerth Andrews Witherden
Rich Adams Gardiner

I really rate Answerth so don’t want to see him relegated, Laird would be an upgrade on Witherden and that could be a possibility where he could be moved to the bench. I see us still playing those 3 lock down defenders in Andrews, Adams, Gardiner etc so where does that leave someone like Smith? Then there is the addition of Ah Chee so where would he be played? Wing, HFF? I’m just curious as to the ‘fit’ of our team that is all.
From what I gather Ah Chee might take a year of fitness and management to get his body right and play some sustained football. I'm thinking he will eventually replace Robbo on the wing when Robbo decides to retire and before that a forward flank. I think I read somewhere Witherden wanted to move into the midfield, might have been last year. Seems a bit slow for that but could platy a bit outside with his disposal. While I think he is a good leader/director of play and should stay in the backline he is the one to make room if we get a gun Hodge replacement.

Could we be after Oskar Baker? Could be the running half back we need.

Screenshot_20190918-074104_Instagram.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190918-074104_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20190918-074104_Instagram.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 277
I find the archie extension baffling. I get your point however at this stage my gut feeling come October I would shop him around. I look at chol ( brisbne lions academy) out performing archie. Chol offers something that makes me very excited,about his future So i will put it out there, if Chol continues his development , I believe he has a massive upside based upon what i have seen, so at the end of his contract i would not hesitate to go after him. Him and the big o could be a tantalising prospect.

Based on what I've seen in Archie's games, he has all the tools to take that next step. Wonder if keeping it very simple might work for him. My worry is Sydney would trade for him as they are usually good at developing these raw types and getting themselves a 7-10 year ruck.

I don't know what we are missing but Archie surely looks like a young Martin with all the tools to become that next big ruck.

I’d take smith and laird over witherdon all day long . Answorth to bench . Also remember injuries likely to come in aswell . Laird could probably also push up into a midfield rotation to be honest .

Interesting. I was leaning towards getting one of them to backfill Hodge and look for Greenwood type big mid / forward to complement our list. I still think midfield needs another big body to do the heavy lifting next to Neale and Lyons. Berry could be that, hence Greenwood fits the need for me as he can play midfield or forward.

Interesting. I was leaning towards getting one of them to backfill Hodge and look for Greenwood type big mid / forward to complement our list. I still think midfield needs another big body to do the heavy lifting next to Neale and Lyons. Berry could be that, hence Greenwood fits the need for me as he can play midfield or forward.
I agree Greenwood up and down form wise.
Bigger bodied mid, leading forward and pace off HB line. Maybe a winger.
Ah Chee fits into 2 of those roles. HB/Wing.
Elliot be a good get for leading forward.

Back 6 mentioned a few times we caught out with pace.. Only Answerth has some.
Hodge going you think from our current list Lester get the gig. Although then we down to only one player with pace again.
Rich has gone up a few levels this year. Gardiner, Adams and Andrews are locks. I say Answerth now is as well.
So Hodge going do we push Witho upfield if we play Lester.. Or as mentioned get Liard/Smith in
If we magically got both then Witho/Lester be pushed out of back 6.

Which is what I always look at Trading is.
Trade to push out someone from best 22.
We have a lot of depth players just won the NEAFL grand final.

Seems the club looking for another ruck. Martin/Big O. If one goes down we have Smith or Ballenden.

Based on what I've seen in Archie's games, he has all the tools to take that next step. Wonder if keeping it very simple might work for him. My worry is Sydney would trade for him as they are usually good at developing these raw types and getting themselves a 7-10 year ruck.

I don't know what we are missing but Archie surely looks like a young Martin with all the tools to become that next big ruck.
Can you explain what you've been seeing? Because I thought he had a poor year besides that one game he went forward and kicked four goals. I saw him consistently getting beaten in taps by NEAFL standard rucks, and nothing impressive as a link player either.

Could we be after Oskar Baker? Could be the running half back we need.

Connor and Oskar are mates from junior footy. Wouldn’t read much more into it than that.

Can you explain what you've been seeing? Because I thought he had a poor year besides that one game he went forward and kicked four goals. I saw him consistently getting beaten in taps by NEAFL standard rucks, and nothing impressive as a link player either.
My thoughts with Archie are that he falls into the same habits every year.
He has great pre-season form and thinks he has a chance of making the Senior team on the back of that form and as the year progresses and he finds himself continually in the 2’s his form drops off substantially.
Copy and paste the last 3 years.

Archie is interesting we signed him up early.. Although games I watched NEAFL I did not think he dominated.
One of those players who has lots going for him just not strung it together.
You see some young rucks like O'Brien (drafted 2015) and Marshall and the Big O from the 2017 draft
Then you think Archie drafted 2014 draft
I really like him and like Rueben Williams I thought speed etc be a asset.
You have to back the club as they know more then we do :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back