2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not what I heard and have read.

Lyons was on big coin at GC for his last year. The move to Brisbane meant he took a pay cut per year, but will earn more over the life of the three contract than what his last year at GC would have paid.
Thought he was on something like $400k per season? Maybe l read it wrong somewhere

Laird for 2019 / 2020 firsts seems the most reasonable trade
I think the only way we include next years first is if we get another back somehow. And I don’t see how at this stage.

Or we only plan on drafting academy kids this year after spending all our picks in the trade period.

Laird for 2019 / 2020 firsts seems the most reasonable trade
Would prefer to not use next years 1st. Still need to bring in good youth
I don’t call $400k pretty big money in an afl sense.

The average afl income is $381k per.
That's minimum wage in the AFL.

* Edit. It's all relative. You don't want to know what I'd be prepared to do for 400K per year.
Thought 400k was pretty decent. Should have played footy when l was younger

Laird is a genuine A grader. Considering this year's first rounder from Collingwood will be late, and next year's likely will be too, that seems a very, very good deal for us.

Laird is a genuine A grader. Considering this year's first rounder from Collingwood will be late, and next year's likely will be too, that seems a very, very good deal for us.
This. Unless I’m misreading some of these posts it seems Laird is being under valued compared to what I think he is worth. The boy has made 4 of the 5 last 40 man AA squads I think and then made the team twice. He would be as big a get as Neale was this year and offer some run and carry off the back we need. I say if there is any truth in this thing at all we throw everything we got at him. If that bloke from survivor can raise half a mill, I say we crowd fund his first year salary!

This. Unless I’m misreading some of these posts it seems Laird is being under valued compared to what I think he is worth. The boy has made 4 of the 5 last 40 man AA squads I think and then made the team twice. He would be as big a get as Neale was this year and offer some run and carry off the back we need. I say if there is any truth in this thing at all we throw everything we got at him. If that bloke from survivor can raise half a mill, I say we crowd fund his first year salary!
Crazy how many people shut down 2 late first rounders.... for an A grade gun when team is entering the prime.
I dont actually think we would accept the 2 late firsts and would ask you to find a way to make it a top 10 pick.

Crazy how many people shut down 2 late first rounders.... for an A grade gun when team is entering the prime.
I dont actually think we would accept the 2 late firsts and would ask you to find a way to make it a top 10 pick.

How about Tom Cutler?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, I agree. I’d just prefer trying to trade both of this years top two picks for him.

I hope our recruiting team is putting a lot of work in to Cooper Stephens, because if we’re trading this years and next years first round picks for Laird, we’re not going to have the picks to draft many quality mids.

dunno, heard Lyons is on pretty big money. You would think he wouldn't considering he was essentially delisted and in and out of the GC team.
I thought Lyons had a year to go on his contract at the Gold Coast, if they were to delist him they had to either pay him out or do some deal where Brisbane picked up that salary guaranteed. I'm guessing Brisbane paid some and GC paid some so yes he was still on the Suns package this year in total.

I thought Lyons had a year to go on his contract at the Gold Coast, if they were to delist him they had to either pay him out or do some deal where Brisbane picked up that salary guaranteed. I'm guessing Brisbane paid some and GC paid some so yes he was still on the Suns package this year in total.

Pretty sure Lyons and the Suns mutually agreed to terminate his contract. He would have been on a fresh start with us.

2 first rounders for a small/medium defender (Laird) is a bit crazy. I think people need to look at the trades of the elite like Dangerfield, Neale etc to maybe get a better perspective of what clubs will give up. For me this years first and second with a late third coming back or if people still want to go down the path of 2 firsts then a second coming back. Fully aware that Noble gets trades done but he’s also stated he is not a fan of trading future first round sets as well.

The core of our group is young so I don't want to see us paying overs for contracted players from other teams to fill gaps, wait until they are out of contract or their club is willing to negotiate or pass in my opinion, force witherden Bailey Starcevich cox to step up and play a role and if we get cream for a fair price then good.

2 first rounders for a small/medium defender (Laird) is a bit crazy. I think people need to look at the trades of the elite like Dangerfield, Neale etc to maybe get a better perspective of what clubs will give up. For me this years first and second with a late third coming back or if people still want to go down the path of 2 firsts then a second coming back. Fully aware that Noble gets trades done but he’s also stated he is not a fan of trading future first round sets as well.

Two end of first rounders is a lot worse than what we gave up for Neale. It's perfectly fair for the player he is. If anything it's unders. Let's not overrate draft picks.

I believe that we are getting one of Laird or Smith so a few hypothetical trades below.
Can see the Laird trade being 17,19 & 32 for Laird and 26 meaning Lairds Value is 1828 points being pick 5-6 which I think is a very fair trade. People will say throw a future instead of 19 this year but this years draft in my eyes doesn't have much depth & a future is risky especially if you bust like Melbourne this year.
Brodie Smith trade 19 & 32 for Smith & 26 which equals 803 points so roughly pick 23. I think it is a fair trade. Smith 27 and Crows are crying out for young talent.
For the ultimate trade of getting BOTH, yes both Laird and Smith. Which I personally think we shouldn't do but having some fun thinking of the possibilities.
Brisbane Give- 17, 19, 32 a future 2nd (lets say win flag 36) & Lewy Taylor. Adelaide Give- Smith, Laird, 26 & Future 3rd (Roughly 12th on Ladder = 43).
Basically equals Adelaide get 1950 worth of points (Pick 4-5) & Lewis Taylor for Smith & Laird. Which in my eyes is fair, we get rid of Taylors big contract of up to 500k and we get two players who can push us that next level. We are in our premiership window now. Bit of a big hypothetical but let me know your thoughts and what you'd do differently for either player or which trade you'd do. Thanks guys

Remove this Banner Ad

Back