2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The daniher one is really tough, im inclined to not take the chance on him as we get that push up the wing Mark from omac and Mcstay is also providing enough of a presence so it's not worth risk in my opinion. Daniher would not only need to get back on the park but also get back to his dynamic best. Playing forward and pushing up. I'd rather sAve our chips and go all in playing for grundy next year

CEY vs Lester vs Robertson is interesting. We need one of these guys to develop into a hard edge bigger midfielder/contested/defensive midfielder type player like Mitch Robinson and Berry are. One of these guys playing well will really help balance our list in terms of bigger vs smaller midfielders. Lester can really win a center clearance and has great defensive work but lacks that explosiveness in acceleration to match up with the Dangerfields etc. Robertson is strong enough to match the bigger mids and has the tank to go all day but his offensive abilities are limited. He is more suited to rotating up the back half. CEY has the biggest ceiling of all 3. He has genuine explosiveness when fit. He seems to lack a tank but hopefully this is just a result of him getting over injuries. I would hope CEY replaces Lester on the list (with all due respect to Lester's service - he is a good player). Keeping Robertson as a depth/tagging option would be better. Unfortunately I think we will lose Robertson instead and he will slot right into another team as an underrated defensive gem like De Boer.

I don't want Jenkins Macca but Hipwood nearly did his knee last year and we need to look to strengthening our list in that area if we can because we've had a dream run to date.
For me midfield depth and a rebounding defender are higher priorities than another key position player. But as you said if a player comes up that will add to your list you take it.

The only player who is 'available' as a key position player that is better than what we have is Daniher, by all reports he's headed to the Swans. I don't think Jenkins is better than Walker and he can't get a game ahead of McStay or Hipwood.
Jenkins is a two goals a game forward over 140 games. None of our current forwards is at that level, nor is Walker whom I would regard as more versatile but that does not make him "better" in terms of potential value as compared to Jenkins.

One way experience or not, think should be Ok to say what he said in this forum. For the record I don't agree with his comments but I do agree with him saying what's on his mind providing its not dis-respectful or offensive. If he said something really positive, nothing would be made of it but because its not complementary, he is told to tone it down. Sure he should be ready for the people to come back and debate what he says be it with or against his comments. That's what I thought one the thing things this PLATFORM was here for...opinions & debate of opinions. Talking in detail about his thoughts and others view may even give him a different perspective on Witho…..maybe.

Then he should be willing to debate said opinion instead of going on about how “he is entitled to his opinion” as soon as his views were countered. His post wasn’t deleted, he wasn’t censored. People suggested it was over the top and challenged him on certain aspects of it such as the social media comments.

Again, you seem to be arguing FOR debate and a free exchange of views yet decrying those who were doing exactly that.

Knightmare is Chris Deore who writes for ESPN. It says it in his ESPN bio.
i

Christopher Doerre

What was over the top? The fact I suggested he doesn’t have running power ? Only have to look at last goal in semi to see he doesn’t have any explosiveness/speed , he also isn’t what you would consider an aerobic athlete hence why noble and co have mentioned before he needs to work on his fitness massively if he was ever to get into a midfield role and with his distinct lack of pace I highly doubt that the way the modern game is going . In regards to his attitude which is where some people have an issue with what i said , clearly I wouldn’t know what he is like off the field but I have witnessed half a dozen times when I have seen him give monumental sprays to his own team members when I have seen him be defensively terrible (Bit different when your a Luke hodge and have a few runs on the board ) He clearly has worked on improving his running by seeing a running coach but I feel he is coming from a very long way back in terms of his ability to the point where it is afl standard . As per comments about him and his mate Rayner not setting high standards well I base that from fact Rayner has openly stated he didn’t come back in great nick in the off season and witherdon isn’t exactly known for his dedication to diet which he has said he needs to improve massively on . His kicking which people talked about as being elite well I don’t think it was anywhere near as good this year as the previous year . At end of day I’m just an average jo blow putting my 2 cents worth in you can agree or not agree.

I have witnessed half a dozen times when I have seen him give monumental sprays to his own team members when I have seen him be defensively terrible

Can't remember specific games but have to say I do remember this happening a couple of times this season and commentators pointing it out (Healy and Brown come to mind). That said the bloke is only 53 games into his career and the fact that he is already taken for granted as a rock solid member of the back line just shows how good he is. We all have our off days.

Jenkins is a two goals a game forward over 140 games. None of our current forwards is at that level, nor is Walker whom I would regard as more versatile but that does not make him "better" in terms of potential value as compared to Jenkins.
I would hope Hipwood and McStay can both reach that level over the next few years when they get into their prime as key forwards, we weren't to far off the best this year and hopefully with some more improvement in 2020 Hipwood, McStay and Rayner can hit the scoreboard more often so we aren't so reliant on Charlie kicking bags every week. I wouldn't want us forking out for a key forward when that isn't what we need most.

Then he should be willing to debate said opinion instead of going on about how “he is entitled to his opinion” as soon as his views were countered. His post wasn’t deleted, he wasn’t censored. People suggested it was over the top and challenged him on certain aspects of it such as the social media comments.

Again, you seem to be arguing FOR debate and a free exchange of views yet decrying those who were doing exactly that.
I don't even agree that 'he is entitled to his opinion' if hi opinion is proven to be objectively nonfactual, and just a knee-jerk brainfart because the world is not exactly as he wants it to be. Stubbornly holding on to a shitty thought in the face of counter evidence is no way to keep a conversation going.

Likewise, other posters are entitles to their opinion that his opinion is ill conceived.

Whenever I see PC, PC police, or snowflake used unironically, I immediately assume that I am dealing with a poorly informed and over-emotional boomer (or sub-boomer) who is cracking the sads because they aren't being allowed to act like a dickhead any more.

keep us posted if you can. nice little summary would be much appreciated.

The AFL TR twitter account is pretty good at summarising what goes on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't even agree that 'he is entitled to his opinion' if hi opinion is proven to be objectively nonfactual, and just a knee-jerk brainfart because the world is not exactly as he wants it to be. Stubbornly holding on to a s**tty thought in the face of counter evidence is no way to keep a conversation going.

Likewise, other posters are entitles to their opinion that his opinion is ill conceived.

Whenever I see PC, PC police, or snowflake used unironically, I immediately assume that I am dealing with a poorly informed and over-emotional boomer (or sub-boomer) who is cracking the sads because they aren't being allowed to act like a dickhead any more.
Plenty of non boomers who act like dickheads as well from my observations.

It's only a blog . Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I don't see his as being out of the realms of possibilities . Why not just let him have it.

It's only a blog

It's not a blog. It's a forum. It might seem pedantic but it's a key difference - the former is just shouting out into space, the latter puts replies at exactly the same level as the original comment. If people don't like posters critiquing their opinions a blog is a much better place for that.

Plenty of non boomers who act like dickheads as well from my observations.

It's only a blog . Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I don't see his as being out of the realms of possibilities . Why not just let him have it.
He is and can. It was boorish. I and others called it. We are entitled to. That's all. No point others seeking to prolong the point on the basis of "this is an opinion site". Let's talk about trade news.

It's not a blog. It's a forum. It might seem pedantic but it's a key difference - the former is just shouting out into space, the latter puts replies at exactly the same level as the original comment. If people don't like posters critiquing their opinions a blog is a much better place for that.
Oh right . I didn't read through what the kerfuffle was about but I thought his last post was fair enough. He gave some reasonable reasons for his way of thinking. I've heard the same observations from a few others who follow the club. Whether it's right or wrong or partly so I dunno.

Article featuring Hippy about why he is in Melbourne

Basically wants to be a recruiter or list management post footy

keep us posted if you can. nice little summary would be much appreciated.
he was not answering his phone, but he is in Melbourne with the Lions recruiting team, and sitting in on all of the player interviews.
He wants to be a recruiter after his football career, so good on him for getting stuck in, when he could be away on holidays or on the piss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back