2019 Trade thread

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
General Manager of Football David Noble said this was a strategic move for the Club.

“We are only allowed to have four selection for our four available positions at this year’s draft,” he said.

“This swap allows us to maximise our hand at this year’s and 2020’s draft.”

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I like the value, but will it stop us matching Cumberland if someone bids in the 40s?

Edit: it'll just be a deficit we have to make up next year right? Does that come from the round the bid is made, or from our first pick?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gets us back into the second round of next year's draft with our own 2nd rounder being traded to GC for Ah Chee. Another solid deal where we don't give up much.

Its probably worth noting that the relative strength of next years draft, while relevant, probably isn't a big factor in these moves - we had way more draft picks than we could use this year, especially with it possibly/likely we will take two academy players, so spreading some of them into future years and at a good trade price is very worthwhile.

Nothing says we actually have to use all those picks next year either - we can trade them for players or into 2021 if need be.

Gets us back into the second round of next year's draft with our own 2nd rounder being traded to GC for Ah Chee. Another solid deal where we don't give up much.

Its probably worth noting that the relative strength of next years draft, while relevant, probably isn't a big factor in these moves - we had way more draft picks than we could use this year, especially with it possibly/likely we will take two academy players, so spreading some of them into future years and at a good trade price is very worthwhile.

Nothing says we actually have to use all those picks next year either - we can trade them for players or into 2021 if need be.

I think we might be looking towards potential trades at the end of the 2020 season, as well.

I like the value, but will it stop us matching Cumberland if someone bids in the 40s?

Edit: it'll just be a deficit we have to make up next year right? Does that come from the round the bid is made, or from our first pick?

It'll just be a deficit that comes off our corresponding pick in that round in the following year's draft.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I'm sensing we will still try to get further up this year on draft night.
Yup.

I find it difficult to see us trading back into the first round, particularly into an improved position from where we were before at pick 16.

I do believe we’ll try and package 29 and 34 to move higher up in the second round, while also getting back a pick in the late 40’s or 50’s to help with academy selections.

For what it’s worth I believe pick our pick 21 will be pushed back 3 positions to pick 24 by the time it comes to our selection. Picks 29 and 34 will be pushed back 4 positions.

But I believe our pick 71 will move up by at least 4 or 5, possibly 6 picks, well before a bid comes in for any of our academy kids. Which possibly means we can match a bid around pick ~50, or at least reduce a deficit off our future 3rd round pick.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Anyone else thinking we have someone lined up for 2020? If I have read all this right (my apologies as I have had very little time to check) we have 2 1st round, 2 2nd round and 2 3rd round 2020 picks?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Anyone else thinking we have someone lined up for 2020? If I have read all this right (my apologies as I have had very little time to check) we have 2 1st round, 2 2nd round and 2 3rd round 2020 picks?
Two firsts, one second, one third, no fourth, and a micky mouse 5th.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

98BE733B-7EC1-4B53-9249-7D5502F6D9BD.png

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

2x1st, 1x2nd, 2x3rd I think. As we traded our own 2nd rounder next year to the Suns. Yeah I get the feeling we are stocking draft picks next year for a trade.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
2x1st, 1x2nd, 2x3rd I think. As we traded our own 2nd rounder next year to the Suns. Yeah I get the feeling we are stocking draft picks next year for a trade.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We traded our future third to Collingwood as part of the deal to get that future second.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just really intelligent list/draft management IMO. Was hoping that something like this would happen getting back into second round next year. I don’t see how we can get back into the first round this year but I’m not fazed. Not overly high on the lower half of the first round onwards of this years draft but in saying hope we find the diamond in the rough. What we’ve acquired next year means our hand is strong for trades or moving up. Smart work by the lads I must say!

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Glad to see the club has managed to get some great value when offloading our surplus picks this year. Super impressive. Ended up being much more complicated than I ever imagined which most deals are of late.

I also find it quite impressive how well the club's are working with each other with the trading of these picks. Each club has a different situation and there seems to be a lot of good will in finding mutually beneficial trades, without the overwhelming desperation to be the winner.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Been saying for a while, I totally agree with you, we have Steph Martin's replacement already picked out and are getting our ducks in line (draft picks next year) to secure them.

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just really intelligent list/draft management IMO. Was hoping that something like this would happen getting back into second round next year. I don’t see how we can get back into the first round this year but I’m not fazed. Not overly high on the lower half of the first round onwards of this years draft but in saying hope we find the diamond in the rough. What we’ve acquired next year means our hand is strong for trades or moving up. Smart work by the lads I must say!

Yeah it's great to feel like the predators again rather than the prey. :brisbane:

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I also find it quite impressive how well the club's are working with each other with the trading of these picks. Each club has a different situation and there seems to be a lot of good will in finding mutually beneficial trades, without the overwhelming desperation to be the winner.

Peter Bell says hi.

And so does his feather

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Glad to see the club has managed to get some great value when offloading our surplus picks this year. Super impressive. Ended up being much more complicated than I ever imagined which most deals are of late.

I’d say the teams moving up are paying premium. GWS ended up paying 2 late and 1 mid range first round picks to get up to pick 4.

Fremantle paid an early second and a swap of later future picks just to move up two spots.

While the trades might look mutually beneficial, teams are paying a premium to move ahead of where bids are expected to come in, and other teams are taking advantage.

Today should be fun.

Back