2019 World Cup General Discussion

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Amla in but Morris misses out for South Africa. Big call considering he is a gun bowler at the death and the sort of guy who can also make a big impact with the bat in a short space of time. Phehlukwayo has been good over the past year or so, so I'm guessing they didn't see room for them both in an XI.

Sri Lanka cricket continues its typical stable path. Malinga dumped as captain, Karunaratne now the lucky owner of that title. Apparently no room for Chandimal, Tharanga, Dananjaya and Dickwella :think:

Amir missed out for Pakistan.

Hamid Hassan is back for Afghanistan after three years.

Afghanistan squad: Gulbadin Naib (capt), Mohammad Shahzad (wk), Noor Ali Zadran, Hazratullah Zazai, Rahmat Shah, Asghar Afghan, Hashmatullah Shahidi, Najibullah Zadran, Samiullah Shinwari, Mohammad Nabi, Rashid Khan, Dawlat Zadran, Aftab Alam, Hamid Hassan, Mujeeb ur Rahman

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics

Surely the hairiest arms in the history of cricket?

Ricky Ponting.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Community/Ricky-Pontings-Hairy-Arms-129487647112001/

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
West Indies Squad: Jason Holder (c), Chris Gayle, Evin Lewis, Darren Bravo, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope (wk), Nicholas Pooran (wk), Carlos Brathwaite, Andre Russell, Ashley Nurse, Shannon Gabriel, Fabian Allen, Kemar Roach, Oshane Thomas, Sheldon Cottrell.
Not much spin options there. Guess we know their approach this campaign.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
With Alex Hales now dropped from the England squad, today's match against Ireland may be an audition to replace him.
Dharmasena having a shocker here.

The Foakes stumping is, yeah, not sure about that.

Rule 20.1.1 says the ball is dead when the ball is settled in the hands of the wicketkeeper. Surely commonsense comes into play - Balbirnie wasn't attempting to run, it wasn't in the motion of the stroke. Doesn't feel right to me.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Dharmasena having a shocker here.

The Foakes stumping is, yeah, not sure about that.

Rule 20.1.1 says the ball is dead when the ball is settled in the hands of the wicketkeeper. Surely commonsense comes into play - Balbirnie wasn't attempting to run, it wasn't in the motion of the stroke. Doesn't feel right to me.

Lol, you can’t be serious?

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ireland with a copy and paste job again. Bat poorly, knock over the opposition's top order for not many and then let the game get away. The amount of winning position's they've fumbled this decade is ridiculous.

Their batting was poor, but a quality bowling effort let down by the non-review and a poorly timed dropped catch. I think England are going to catch many teams out with that deceptive tail with guys of the ilk of Foakes, Curran, Woakes, Plunkett, Willey & possibly Archer. Murtagh is a class performer, going to be a shame next year as a result of the political turmoil over there that Irish players will then be classified as overseas in county cricket. Murtagh, Stirling & Balbirnie all at Middlesex.

Archer performed ok, was always going to be hard for him to live up to the hype but was a solid if not spectacular effort. Plunkett looked good, bowled quicker than we have seen him in recent times. Hard to see how Foakes can fit into the lineup, but he's exactly the sort of player who performs against the grain in the event of a collapse like we saw. I think he'd be great insurance for them.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Their batting was poor, but a quality bowling effort let down by the non-review and a poorly timed dropped catch. I think England are going to catch many teams out with that deceptive tail with guys of the ilk of Foakes, Curran, Woakes, Plunkett, Willey & possibly Archer. Murtagh is a class performer, going to be a shame next year as a result of the political turmoil over there that Irish players will then be classified as overseas in county cricket. Murtagh, Stirling & Balbirnie all at Middlesex.

Archer performed ok, was always going to be hard for him to live up to the hype but was a solid if not spectacular effort. Plunkett looked good, bowled quicker than we have seen him in recent times. Hard to see how Foakes can fit into the lineup, but he's exactly the sort of player who performs against the grain in the event of a collapse like we saw. I think he'd be great insurance for them.

Most opposition teams will be well aware of what England's tail is capable of in most formats. The managers all use data.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Most opposition teams will be well aware of what England's tail is capable of in most formats. The managers all use data.

Oh for sure, everyone should be more than aware of their capabilities. But my point was more that 6-100 is not such a disastrous situation for England to be in compared to other sides - you've got to really land that final knockout blow, something which as impressively disciplined the Ireland bowling lineup is they aren't quite capable of.

big_e

Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Lol, you can’t be serious?
Yeah, well as this guy said, he wasn't trying to steal a run, and he was in his crease when the keeper took it....

Buttler was doing was every batsman does and no wonder people are upset, he wasn't stealing a run, as it shows he is still in his crease and if Ashwin bowled it, he probably leaves his crease after the ball has been released.

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
I recall various cases of Matt Prior, Brad Haddin and Matt Wade trying it, although those names might be wrong aside from Haddin, and it's never been in doubt that it could be out. I think it's a pretty shitty thing to do but Foakes isn't the first or last to do it and it's only raised an eye lid because it's happened so soon after the mankad

prior in 2012: http://cricketcrowd.com/displayvideo.html?ccvideo=5937

big_e

Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
The comparison is this. Peoplw lose their s**t over a mankad, where a batter is dismissed when trying to get an unfair advantage. But this stumping occurs when the play has stopped and the batter is just resuming his upright position and people say stiff bikkies.

If I was the umpire I would have said not out, the ball was dead.

Anyway, not a big issue. Play on.

Jhye ruled out of the World Cup, replaced by Kane Richardson in the squad. :(

Was always going to be tough to bounce back in time.

Hopefully right for the Ashes 🤞

Back