2020/21 Melbourne Victory Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did not waste my time watching that second half. I am out enjoying a drink on this beautiful Melbourne evening.

This is more than just a change in coaching problem, squad is s**t, the whole club is currently s**t! Sad to say but we are spirling down the toilet so fast it is gonna be very difficult to fix without changes at the top!

Last edited:

Hope the spotlight comes on to the club hard, IMHO worst team in the league by a long way.
It would be easy to just blame Grant Brebner, but I think the pressure needs to go on Anthony Di Pietro and the rest of the board.

Also the recruitment team at senior and youth level what is going on? how did the club not offer Alou Kuol a contact offer after he trialled with the team? plus the policy of just signing failed Brisbane Roar back up keepers is to me mind blowing.

Pity we do not have relegation as the blow torch would really be placed on Anthony Di Pietro and his spin “biggest Football club in Australia” “Worldwide search for a manager” then to appoint Brebner after Grant had said “he was not applying for the job because he was not experienced enough”.

I reckon the cheapest option for the club was the reason on him being shoehorned into that job, I think Brebs you were right, this season will make the Jim Magilton era look like a walk in the park.

Last edited:
If the board had any decency they would all fall on their swords and resign but we all know that wont happen.
Probably dont want to pay Brebs out so I'd give him till mid season and then switch over to Steve Kean and just keep Brebs manager in title.
I'd then switch to a defensive/counter attacking 4-4-2 on field and play out the season as we slowly lose hope and members :)

I'm confused why people are calling for the Board's head. They don't play on the park. We're pretty much the only team in the league that breaks even financially - and that's despite the rubbish couple of years we've had. The way I understand the Victory set up, they ratify, rather than than choose the coach.

So all you're doing in changing the board is risking the long term stability of the club during a global pandemic that continues to affect the league, its scheduling and its attendance.

I don't know what the solution is, but I think only now are we starting to realise how much of the Victory's heart and soul lay with Muscat and Thompson, and how much we lost when we didn't offer either another contract a couple of seasons ago. Maybe we underestimate that in sport - there isn't a metric you could use to suggest that guys like Archie Thompson, Kevin Muscat, Mark Milligan, Carl Valeri are better footballers than Keisuke Honda or Ola Toivonen. But I'd take any of those first 4 names based on their Victory runs ahead of the two guys who made names for themselves at World Cups.

Email from the club

Due to the five day lockdown in Victoria which commenced last night, our match against Wellington Phoenix, scheduled for Wednesday 17 February, has been postponed until Wednesday 24 February at AAMI Park, with kick off at 7:05pm.

Please note this is subject to change if there are any further directives from the Victorian Government.

Tickets will remain valid for the clash against the Phoenix on 24 February and the club will continue to update members and fans on any further ticketing and fixture updates as soon as they are available.

Even though it would have been a shitshow I was looking forward to going to the game on Wednesday as I had the week off work.

Brebs should have been the assistant and the club should have brought in someone else and had the fallback of Brebs if the person didn't succeed. You can't go coaching any team, regardless of level, if you don't think you're ready for it. Not everyone is cut out for the job and it feels like Brebs knows it's not his role.

The club needs a philosophy and a manager who shares a similar philosophy.

Continuing to sprout about succeeding in Asia is all well and good but what are the actual processes that are being put in place to achieve that goal?

An interim manager who didn't want the job, a selection policy that doesn't have a focus on developing our own and a foreign player policy that inevitably ends up being buying someone at the last minute isn't going to get us anywhere near success, let alone success in Asia.

‘We can still finish top four’ - Victory hierarchy backing Brebner to turn tide

The belief in Scotsman is so steadfast among the Victory hierarchy that some directors believe he can still steer the Navy Blue to a top-four finish, and emphatically silence those who question whether the club legend is equipped to handle the transition to the top job.

With Victory dead last on four points from six games following last week’s 2-0 loss at Western Sydney Wanderers - and thus far looking one-paced and predictable - that might appear an optimistic prophecy.

The board didn’t waste time in dismissing German Marco Kurz midway through the last campaign after a poor start.

But a well-placed source close to the board told The World Game: “There’s no panic at all at the moment (regarding Brebner).

“The club never expected the team to start taking off before round eight or nine at least.

“It’s a new squad, and it takes time to build understanding and also (for the coach) to get his best team on the park, which he hasn’t been able to do so far.

“The faith in Grant is there and it’s strong. The board is behind him 100 per cent.

“There’s a belief he’ll steer the club to the top four come the end of the season, and will then be fighting for the title next season.”

With three successive home games to come, Brebner and his English assistant Steve Kean will have every opportunity to steady the ship, starting against the Newcastle Jets on Sunday.

“Grant has a lot history at the club, knows how everything works and has been good with developing our young kids,” added the source.

“The club wanted to go with someone familiar - it’s better the devil you know than the one you don’t.”

Brebner was in charge as Victory won just one of their five matches at the conclusion of last season.

However, he led the team into the knockout stages of the Asian Champions League for only the second time in their history in November, fielding an inexperienced line-up, and has a deep reservoir of goodwill to draw from.

“He knows what he’s doing and has a good team around him,” added the insider.

“He’s made some good signings and once he has the entire squad at his disposal we’ll see a big difference after what has been a difficult start.

“He has a two-year contract and nobody is questioning him or doubting him.”

Initially reluctant to take the reins, a downcast Brebner said after the loss to Western Sydney the club were in “a tough position” but he’d do his utmost to “turn it around".

Board 100% behind him? He's goneski! Never mind getting the best person for the job just someone who is familiar.
This article just proves how delusional the board are, Top four lol We'll be lucky to even get out of the bottom four!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had to check the date and make sure it wasn't April 1st after reading that article.
Not sure who the "source" is but if it's true I'm not even sure the board are watching the right team on match day o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back