Review 2020 AFL Draft - The Unlucky Ones

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Yearly we see there are the usual unlucky guys who miss out on their first draft induction.

Names that come to mind are:

Sam Collins.
Zac Dumesny.
Noah Gadsby.
Liam Kolar.
Mitch Duval.
Luke Cleary.
Tahj Abberley.
Jackson Callow.
Ollie Davis.
Clayton Gay.
Saxon Crozier.
Max Pescud.
Ryan Pickering.
Josh Clarke.
Darby Hipwell.

Who else were unlucky to miss?

Last edited:

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just assumed the title was about the players who got drafted by Essendon and GWS.
or Collingwood!

All those get a chance to shine in the U19s next year and get selected in the Mid Season Draft which I reckon will be keenly anticipated by clubs. Reckon every club will go into next year with a vacant rookie spot just to use it in that draft.

Maxtom01

Draftee
Sep 1, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yearly we see there are the usual unlucky guys who miss out on their first draft induction.

Names that come to mind are:

Sam Collins.
Zac Dumesny.
Kaine Baldwin.
Noah Gadsby.
Liam Kolar.
Mitch Duval.
Luke Cleary.
Tahj Abberley.
Jackson Callow.
Ollie Davis.
Clayton Gay.
Saxon Crozier.
Max Pescud.
Ryan Pickering.
Josh Clarke.
Darby Hipwell.

Who else were unlucky to miss?

Looking forward to Max Pescud's 2021

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Kyle Dunkley - might still get a DFA spot if Essendon keep their word
Ewan McPherson unlucky, captain of u16 Vic metro - really needed the 2020 season to push his case

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Ewan McPherson unlucky, captain of u16 Vic metro - really needed the 2020 season to push his case

Do you know that we promised Kyle a spot? Or are you basing it off the media reports that put 1 and 1 together when we wanted Josh?

Fwiw, I would genuinely consider him.

Do you know that we promised Kyle a spot? Or are you basing it off the media reports that put 1 and 1 together when we wanted Josh?

Fwiw, I would genuinely consider him.
ITKs on the Bulldogs board mentioned that part of the Essendon's push for Josh was to pick Kyle up as a DFA on higher than base salary.

Quite a few media reports mention 'interest' as well: https://www.afl.com.au/news/521313/oh-brother-bombers-two-for-one-pitch-to-lure-star-bulldogs-mid

FWIW we considered him in the mid-year draft when he was a Footscray listed player. He's got AFL qualities and you could do worse as a free hit. Still has development left in him.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
ITKs on the Bulldogs board mentioned that part of the Essendon's push for Josh was to pick Kyle up as a DFA on higher than base salary.

Quite a few media reports mention 'interest' as well: https://www.afl.com.au/news/521313/oh-brother-bombers-two-for-one-pitch-to-lure-star-bulldogs-mid

FWIW we considered him in the mid-year draft when he was a Footscray listed player. He's got AFL qualities and you could do worse as a free hit. Still has development left in him.

I'd go for him but like Mitch Hibberd last season if we did he'd probably get played on the HFF, well he would've with Woosha, hopefully Truck is more trusting of the kids and less conservative.

I'd go for him but like Mitch Hibberd last season if we did he'd probably get played on the HFF, well he would've with Woosha, hopefully Truck is more trusting of the kids and less conservative.
He will get opportunities to push his case in the VFL, although he has rested forward for Footscray VFL side (like Josh has done at AFL level). I think he deserves another shot at AFL, regardless of surname.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Some more unlucky names are:

Ben Major.
Sam Tucker.
Will Bravo.
Ned Carey.
Lachlan Grubb.
Xavier Robins.
Zach Phillips.
Bailey Chamberlain.
Finn Gorringe.
Lachlan Vanirsen.
Cooper Horsnell.
Henry Nelligan.
Jaxon Bellchambers.
Jared Dakin. (Again.)

tigerwill

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
What happened to Kyle Dunkley? Will he be an Essendon train on player, hopefully picked up in the supplementary draft or was Dodo was telling porkies to bend big bruv over?
If it’s the latter, I’m betting their old man won’t be too happy. I think the bombers will need to target another player and whisper sweet nothings in his ear

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

What? The promise was that if we landed Josh we would pick up Kyle too. How do we have any obligation to draft Kyle now that we didn't get Josh?

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
or Collingwood!

All those get a chance to shine in the U19s next year and get selected in the Mid Season Draft which I reckon will be keenly anticipated by clubs. Reckon every club will go into next year with a vacant rookie spot just to use it in that draft.

I know where I'd least like to go.

That's the club that would waterboard me and call it a legitimate training exercise (being the same club that absolutely everyone wants to leave, every year). We can't get rid of players without them kicking and screaming. Your club kicks (them) and screams (at them whilst torturing them) to get them to stay (which they don't).

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
He will get opportunities to push his case in the VFL, although he has rested forward for Footscray VFL side (like Josh has done at AFL level). I think he deserves another shot at AFL, regardless of surname.

I remember a few of his games when he was with Footscray. A different player than Josh but there was definitely talent there. There were a bunch of clubs interested at that point, things change so quickly.

Back