2020 AFL fixture released

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not an issue of being scared playing you twice.

It's playing 3 top 4 sides Plus travelling to Tasmania and Brisbane
What's wrong with going to Tassie?
Launceston is 10 or so minutes further than Melbourne and you make that back with a quicker bus trip into town. Why do WA people think it's such a bigger travel burden?

Sydney is further than Tassie!

It's two OR three, as everyone is telling you. This is from the AFL website explaining it:

• Top six: Clubs ranked 1-6 on the ladder will have a minimum of two and maximum of three return meetings with other top six clubs. They will have a minimum of one and maximum of two return meetings with clubs ranked 7-12. They will have either no return meetings or a maximum of one return meeting with clubs ranked 13-18.
  • Middle six: Clubs ranked 7-12 on the ladder will have a minimum of one and maximum of two return meetings with clubs ranked 1-6 on the ladder. They will have a minimum of two and maximum of three return meetings with other middle six clubs. They will have a minimum of one and maximum of two return meetings with clubs ranked 13-18.
  • Bottom six: Clubs ranked 13-18 on the ladder will have either no return meeting or a maximum of one return meeting with clubs ranked 1-6. They will have a minimum of one or a maximum of two return meetings with clubs ranked 7-12. They will have a minimum of two and a maximum of three return meetings with other bottom six clubs

I think people should have to pass a test on this before commenting on the fixture.

You don’t have to agree with the AFL using this method but you have to acknowledge that it does exist.

What's wrong with going to Tassie?
Launceston is 10 or so minutes further than Melbourne and you make that back with a quicker bus trip into town. Why do WA people think it's such a bigger travel burden?

Sydney is further than Tassie!

Spoken like a true VFL supporter.

EAD

I don't think they want to start matches after 8pm on the east coast where a huge majority of the country lives. the Fremantle v Geelong match is a 7:40 start, but that's only 5:40 local time.

As for the other occasions - Maybe they're worried about people working on the public holidays or people going on Holidays?
The q clash for example could start on the sunday night at 640 EST and be a primtime game from 640 to 910pm EST - not too late for Vic viewers but could become an annual event here

the freo geelong is ok i guess, but perhaps it could be a wa derby and start at 610 perth time?

as far as people going away goes - that doesnt stop them scheduling games on queens bday holiday (which isnt in WA or Qld) with fear that vics go away. nor anzac day or anzac day eve. it really us just lazy and vic-centric

AFL still do not take advantage of public holidays in other states.

eg WA foundation day holiday monday 1 june

Anzac day holiday in WA monday 27th april

Qld labour day holiday monday 4th may

in all these cases they could have played prime time sunday night footy with local fans having the day off the day after.

Would Channel 7 show those games on Channel 7 (instead of MKR, House Rules, etc.) or would it be on 7mate into the local states (because as you know-- interstate viewers get their home clubs on FTA TV no matter what)

so much fairer if
top 6 - every team plays one of these twice
middle 6 - every team plays one of these twice
bottom 6 - every team plays one of these twice

You only play five teams twice

so the team that already has intrinsically the hardest draw with travel are also given the hardest draw vs opponents

which team are the VFL trying to gift the cup to this year ??

Very unlikely melb and Geelong get killed, given their role in the start of the game. Also the govt has spent $200m at the Kat Park s**t hole, so they won't let the AFL walk from that, and the MCC have reactived their relationship with the Dees

Pies and dons are a lock, so that leaves imo Richmond and carlton joining the outs.

Reason I asked this is the hawks and tigs have nearly 200000 members just between them. Deregistering two of melbournes largest supported clubs would bring on a political s**t storm, and the AFL is inept at handling them

It's never happening so not worth wasting your brain cells contemplating

Again.

Straw man

I never said I want "noone with 2 games against top six playing us twice"

Stop putting Words in my mouth

My frustration is we (eagles, not all other teams) play Richmond Geelong and Collingwood twice. Those teams making up the top four all while we travel to Brisbane and Tasmania as well.

If you can't comprehend that you are more biased than I thought.

How about your team does it while travelling half the season and see how that goes for you.

Richmond struggles to win away from Melbourne, you'd finish 10th

In 2019 West coast Collingwood Richmond and Melbourne all played each other twice after finishing top 4 in 2018. It's not like it's a new phenomenon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You only play five teams twice
Yeh and im saying it should be only 3 teams twice. For 20 game season.

So you play everyone once = 17 games.
and then one each from the 3 groups of 6 making it 20 games.
so much fairer.
Yes afl lose 18 games by losing two weeks of footy (so 180 all up in home and away season) - but in interest of fairness.

Would Channel 7 show those games on Channel 7 (instead of MKR, House Rules, etc.) or would it be on 7mate into the local states (because as you know-- interstate viewers get their home clubs on FTA TV no matter what)
Well channel 7 (nationally) dont show those games now. They are only foxtel games.
so they would remain as foxtel games (but in qld for the q clash and wa for the derby they would put them on 7 mate).

How is 17-5 fair?

You play 17 games, finish 6th then play the top 5 teams above you? Meanwhile 7th plays the 5 teams below them ans jumps you on the ladder...

If there are N teams in a comp, fair is to play 2(N-1) games for a full H+A fixture. Otherwise its not fair and the status quo is just as compromised.

Either we play a 34 game season with 18 teams, or we increase/decrease the number of teams so that the current 22 game season remains (12 teams or 24 split into 2 divs)

You don't need a full home and away season as the only reason for the regular season is to determine seeding for the finals. If we had a premier league setup with no finals then you'd have an argument.

A full home and away season existed between 1897-1924 and 1970-1986. A short period in the competitions 123 season history.

All sorts of outlandish statements based on the champion data hardness rating,

Pity no scrutiny on what seems a very strange lis.

I reckon the weighting between hardest and 18th hardest is not much at all in actual fact

so the VFL couldn't find a way to stop Kelly coming home

next minute toughest draw with the most consecutive 6 day breaks..I'm telling you it's just a big coincidence !!!!

so the VFL couldn't find a way to stop Kelly coming home

next minute toughest draw with the most consecutive 6 day breaks..I'm telling you it's just a big coincidence !!!!

Has your tin foil hat fallen off again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back