2020 AFL fixture released

Remove this Banner Ad

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I’ll give you that one... would mean a bit more if the article was a National article, rather than just a state based journo. But I’ll give you that one. ;)

Notice how they referred to Sydney as having two AFL premierships ;)

If by 'national' you mean Melbourne media, I did that already with the article from the age.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2009
lost somewhere in time
AFL Club
Geelong
There isn't a single argument disputing those claims.

However there is an argument that VFL had a particular set of conditions (no salary cap, no draft, no interstate travel, 1 of 3 state leagues at the time) which make it distinct to AFL era (national competition, salary cap, draft, interstate travel). When placed side by side, those two different sets of competitive conditions make the two achievements distinct from one another. Therefore some people may choose to distinguish between the two and the terms AFL era/VFL era are terms that can be easily applied to denote those differences and make clear the period in which you are referring to.

Eg: Essendon has 16 VFL/AFL premierships, 2 of which were won in the AFL era.

Didn't Brisbane and West Coast join while it was still the VFL? and wasn't the some form of interstate travel when South Melbourne relocated to Sydney.

Jupes

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
We should be able to buy a couple of home games a year from some minnow Vic clubs who need the cash. I know the AFL blocked us doing that with North a few years ago.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Didn't Brisbane and West Coast join while it was still the VFL? and wasn't the some form of interstate travel when South Melbourne relocated to Sydney.

Dirty Bird was saying that the modern era should be from 1987 or 1991 when the expansion reached all mainland Australian states.

Those are both valid arguments.

I tend to think of 1990 as that point in time due to the reasons in my earlier post you quoted.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
The AFL are obviously very concerned about perceptions of fairness in the fixture and the impact that has on the image of the game as a national competition.

That is why they explicitly mentioned that they corrected Richmonds fixture for 2020 and ensured there wasn't 7 games at the G to finish the season. That was due to pressure from poor optics from media and fans criticising a perceived unfairness.

But carry on in fantasy land, my dude.

Oh yes of course :rolleyes: and that would also explain why they have against West Coast wishes still given the Eagles an away game at Geelong, an away game in Tassie and also one to Brisbane when you already played Brisbane at the GABBA this year.

Don't read too much into the AFL spin. Richmond's fixture is no harder in 2020 than it was in 2019 but sure put that in your letter too champ you might persuade them for 2021 fixtures.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Oh yes of course :rolleyes: and that would also explain why they have against West Coast wishes still given the Eagles an away game at Geelong, an away game in Tassie and also one to Brisbane when you already played Brisbane at the GABBA this year.

Don't read too much into the AFL spin. Richmond's fixture is no harder in 2020 than it was in 2019 but sure put that in your letter too champ you might persuade them for 2021 fixtures.

No doubt we have a difficult fixture this year. But it is full of opportunities to knock good teams off at home. We didn't have that in 2019.

Tigers fixture is considerably easier than the Eagles. You are right about that. Atleast this year it isn't 7 consecutive home games leading in to the finals.

Last edited:

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Where are you suggesting for us to have our away games when more than half of the teams in the competition are in Victoria?
Really! This has been the pat answer for vic teams since forever. I don't have a problem with home games it is how they are dished out that is the problem.

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
It's not an issue of being scared playing you twice.

It's playing 3 top 4 sides Plus travelling to Tasmania and Brisbane

AND WE DIDNT WIN THE ******* PREMIERSHIP AND HAVE A HARDER DRAW THAN RICHMOND

We came close to beating you without Tim Kelly and suffering injuries during the game.

If your that good then you’d have to suggest that Richmond’s draw is harder than champion data implies.

Of the top six GWS, WCE, Collingwood, Richmond, look the strongest. We play 3 of those and obviously can’t play ourselves, that’s a hard set of double ups and is a lot more difficult than some of the draws champion data will tell you are more difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
If your that good then you’d have to suggest that Richmond’s draw is harder than champion data implies.

Of the top six GWS, WCE, Collingwood, Richmond, look the strongest. We play 3 of those and obviously can’t play ourselves, that’s a hard set of double ups and is a lot more difficult than some of the draws champion data will tell you are more difficult.

Unless an improvement from West Coast is an assumption already built in to the model that determined fixture ratings from Champion data and others.

We don't know that information, so could only speculate.

Feb 7, 2009
lost somewhere in time
AFL Club
Geelong
Where are you suggesting for us to have our away games when more than half of the teams in the competition are in Victoria?

They could play the Hawks or Roos in Tasmania or the Cats in Geelong. I would be happy to see the Cats play in Tassie if the AFL then gave them 11 home games in Geelong like they request every year but never get

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
Unless an improvement from West Coast is an assumption already built in to the model that determined fixture ratings from Champion data and others.

We don't know that information, so could only speculate.

West coast wouldn’t have the hardest draw in that case, as they wouldn’t be playing 3 higher ranked teams they’d be playing 3 lower ones.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
West coast wouldn’t have the hardest draw in that case, as they wouldn’t be playing 3 higher ranked teams they’d be playing 3 lower ones.

That isn't how models work.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
It's He was saying that we can recognise different eras ie. VFL era and AFL era. The analogy he used is faulty, but there is no perfect analogy for AFL chronology.

Many commentators, pundits, and even the AFL use the term "AFL era" to denote the period from 1990 onwards. Dirty bird is just saying that we should also be doing this.
We already do that. We already say AFL era and VFL era. What's the point of whinging then?

muzhogg

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I seriously don't get interstate supporters complaining about Victorian media bias -- as though the media in other states were absolutely impartial.

How does it not make complete sense that Victorian media are biased toward Victoria when they're selling newspapers to Victorians?

It's the same in every state: WA papers are biased toward WA, Sydney papers are biased toward Sydney, SA papers are biased toward SA.

There's nothing even remotely remarkable here and I don't get why people keep banging on about it.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I seriously don't get interstate supporters complaining about Victorian media bias -- as though the media in other states were absolutely impartial.

How does it not make complete sense that Victorian media are biased toward Victoria when they're selling newspapers to Victorians?

It's the same in every state: WA papers are biased toward WA, Sydney papers are biased toward Sydney, SA papers are biased toward SA.

There's nothing even remotely remarkable here and I don't get why people keep banging on about it.

oldmanyellsatcloud.gif

Its a counter argument to constant remarks that "us victorians hate each other more than we hate you". If that was true then Herald Sun wouldn't have headlines like "ITS OURS" and "GET BEHIND OUR CLUB".

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
So even though the AFL itself combines the two leagues and continually refers to the history of BOTH together-- you think that it's NOT re-writing history to refer to it otherwise??

Your 'clear distinctions' are using facts, figures and history that is DIFFERENT than what the code uses itself.

You tried to use the 'different era' context to insult Richmond as a club and its supporters (many pages ago) and you've now just repeatedly melted by making up your own history to suit your world view. A history that is DIFFERENT than the way the AFL and it's main media responds to it.

Just because YOU think that's how the history should work, doesn't mean that's how the competition talks about it.
You own club lists them as VFL/AFL, so that's differentiating.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
oldmanyellsatcloud.gif

Its a counter argument to constant remarks that "us victorians hate each other more than we hate you". If that was true then Herald Sun wouldn't have headlines like "ITS OURS" and "GET BEHIND OUR CLUB".
That's the media selling to other Victorians. Actual football supporters hate the big Victorian teams more than interstate teams for the most part. Even the most hated interstate side in Sydney have Victorian roots.

You'll have a very very hard time finding a Victorian Carlton or Hawthorn supporter hating West Coast over Essendon and vice versa.

WA football fans really have a warped perception of reality. It's astonishing. I think WA people really need to come to Victoria and realise how little people talk or care about WA sides. Even the grand final was a massive celebration of Collingwood's defeat. No one gave a crap about who beat them because at least we don't have to hear about it all off-season.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
How's this?

Hope you don't mind reading about how awesome the Eagles are ;)

WEST COAST is great again — and the greatest of the non-Victorian clubs in the AFL. The Eagles have their fourth AFL premiership in 31 years after leaving Collingwood with the torment the Magpies know too well from the old VFL.
From its seventh grand final, West Coast won the flag by five points off the extraordinary work of Norm Smith Medallist Luke Shuey in the midfield — and a boundary line goal from cool midfielder Dom Sheed in the last 105 seconds of a match that reaffirms, as every Port Adelaide fan knows too well, the Eagles just never stop coming.

West Coast adds to its triumphs in 1992, 1994 and 2006 to surpass Brisbane (three flags), Adelaide and Sydney (two) and Port Adelaide (one) in the national era that began with the Eagles in 1987.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...a/news-story/4414e2ffd81e1f06b3e89c16a0855af4
4 AFL premierships in 31 years would be counting it back to 1987 rather 1990. That would imply there is no difference between VFL and the AFL. I'm not sure that article helps your argument about from the name change

muzhogg

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
oldmanyellsatcloud.gif

It's bizarre to me that you think Victorian papers getting behind Victorian teams, regardless of what team that may be, proves anything about how fans of individual clubs think about rival clubs.

It's like arguing that because a WA paper celebrated West Coast winning the flag in 2018 therefore West Coast fans must love the Freo footy club and vice versa.

That said, I get that WC fans might prefer Freo to win the flag rather than any Vic club and vice versa -- but that's more a function of that chip you seem to have on your collective shoulders. It sure doesn't reflect the way Victorian club supporters think and I know virtually no Richmond supporter who was dissappointed to see WC defeat Collingwood in 2018 -- and that's quite apart from anything that the newspapers say.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
4 AFL premierships in 31 years would be counting it back to 1987 rather 1990. That would imply there is no difference between VFL and the AFL. I'm not sure that article helps your argument about from the name change

Sigh, read the last sentence of the post you quoted before being so quick to respond.

"West Coast adds to its triumphs in 1992, 1994 and 2006 to surpass Brisbane (three flags), Adelaide and Sydney (two) and Port Adelaide (one) in the national era that began with the Eagles in 1987."

I have said in multiple other posts that 1987 could reasonably be considered the point in time to differentiate between "old era" and "modern national era".

Obviously when referring to the AFL era you are referring to 1990 onwards. That's the term I like and the one I use, personally.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
It's bizarre to me that you think Victorian papers getting behind Victorian teams, regardless of what team that may be, proves anything about how fans of individual clubs think about rival clubs.

It's like arguing that because a WA paper celebrated West Coast winning the flag in 2018 therefore West Coast fans must love the Freo footy club and vice versa.

That said, I get that WC fans might prefer Freo to win the flag rather than any Vic club and vice versa -- but that's more a function of that chip you seem to have on your collective shoulders. It sure doesn't reflect the way Victorian club supporters think and I know virtually no Richmond supporter who was dissappointed to see WC defeat Collingwood in 2018 -- and that's quite apart from anything that the newspapers say.

The headlines in questions are not about any particular club. They are a call to arms to all Victorians to get behind Victorian clubs to "keep the cup home in Victoria" type headlines. It's tribalism at it's finest and it is rooted in the idea that Victoria, and by extension, Victorian clubs are AFL gate keepers.

Its a really gross sentiment for a National competition.

LOL, no we wouldn't want Fremantle with a flag. We'd never hear the end of it, just like your lot are giving other vic clubs hell for the last 2 years. We would rather any other club win a flag over the dockers. That's not something we need to worry about for the foreseeable future anyway.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back