Preview 2020 AFL National Draft Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I would hope we would overlook Perkins. Don’t want people like that at our club

Like what? Honest?

Would you want Bailey Smith at the football club?

How about Liam Ryan or Jack Darling?

Worked well for Bailey Smith, don’t think we can be too critical of the young lad. Been a rough 12 months for everyone, and we aren’t aware if there are other circumstances as to why he doesn’t want to move.

I like his honesty. Would be delighted with him at our second first rounder (if he’s on the board).

Say what?

What's wrong with people stating where they prefer to live?

Because when you sign up to play in the AUSTRALIAN Football League, it’s under the proviso that you can feasibly get drafted to a state that you are not from. Don’t sign up if you’re not willing to do that- pretty simple.

Anyone could blow out their knee during pre-season. During the actual season as well.
True enough. But both graft rupture and contralateral cruciate rupture are statistically more likely in younger patients. So the risk is higher in outpatients that have had surgery.

If having lots of players in your team who only wanted to play in their home state was an impediment, West Coast would've never won a thing.

Shannon Grant was pushing for a trade back to Victoria as soon as his initial contract was up. Not committed enough?

Great news to hear that GWS will hopefully pass on him, but I still just don't see Essendon letting him slip through their three picks. He's just what their midfield needs, a big athletic body who can use the ball. Will be ecstatic if we manage to get one of him or Cox at 11.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because when you sign up to play in the AUSTRALIAN Football League, it’s under the proviso that you can feasibly get drafted to a state that you are not from. Don’t sign up if you’re not willing to do that- pretty simple.
These are 18 year old kids with families etc.

We don't know the individual circumstances for these kids and to uproot them may in some cases be detrimental to them.

I admire his fortitude in speaking his mind.

Definitely an interesting situation for Perkins to speak out; a few years back I would probably write the kid off too. But the world is changing fast, and being your authentic and true self is in and taking bag of concrete is out.

Arguably the kid is demonstrating high EQ/self awareness and is more attractive as a recruit able to manage the scrutiny of the AFL, not less.

If having lots of players in your team who only wanted to play in their home state was an impediment, West Coast would've never won a thing.

Shannon Grant was pushing for a trade back to Victoria as soon as his initial contract was up. Not committed enough?
He hasn't been drafted yet, he isn't a top five pick and yet he is telling clubs where he wants to play, effectively saying if I go interstate I won't try as hard. Even if that isn't what he actually meant. What other things would stop him trying as hard if he did get drafted to a Vic club? Can't play unless the roof is shut at Docklands, or unless he had his wheaties with milk at 56.7 deg C exactly?

I don’t, I think he’ll be out of the league within 3 years.
You are like the Kane Cornes of the North Melbourne Bigfooty board.

situation for Perkins to speak out; a few years back I would probably write the kid off too. But the world is changing fast, and being your authentic and true self is in and taking bag of concrete is out.

Arguably the kid is demonstrating high EQ/self awareness and is more attractive as a recruit able to manage the scrutiny

Clayton loves him. Cannot see us passing if he's there.

He hasn't been drafted yet, he isn't a top five pick and yet he is telling clubs where he wants to play, effectively saying if I go interstate I won't try as hard. Even if that isn't what he actually meant. What other things would stop him trying as hard if he did get drafted to a Vic club? Can't play unless the roof is shut at Docklands, or unless he had his wheaties with milk at 56.7 deg C exactly?

Those would be some putrid Wheaties

I get the sentiment but producing good footy and not being committed to moving as part of the national league aren't synonymous.

Using that criteria West Coast should've passed on trading for Tim Kelly because he showed a lack of commitment not to grind it out for longer in Victoria.

And as I said, Shannon Grant told interstate clubs he didn't want to leave Victoria then tried to price himself out of their reach then almost took a trade to the dogs after this 1st contract and was a kangaroo by his 4th year.

Do you see any correlation between his football output and his unwillingness to play interstate?

Definitely an interesting situation for Perkins to speak out; a few years back I would probably write the kid off too. But the world is changing fast, and being your authentic and true self is in and taking bag of concrete is out.

Arguably the kid is demonstrating high EQ/self awareness and is more attractive as a recruit able to manage the scrutiny of the AFL, not less.
Yeah but being down by three goals at 3/4 time isn't a good fit either, especially if you've been winded a few times earlier in the game...

I actually think what you are saying is reasonable too, for most situations, but mental toughness is one of the most important parts of this game. Overcoming adversity onfield is what makes great players. People who overcome adversity onfield are probably the sort who do it off field as well.

Good luck to him but if I was a recruiter I'd be taking what he said into account but not in a good way. You might not want to slip too far or miss out in this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back