2020 celebrations

Remove this Banner Ad

Does that middle guernsey that we wore 1997-2002 just get better with age? That was by far the superior of our 3 original strips, yet was the first to get scrapped. Either that or it's aged better than the others.

Right?! If it weren't for you guys having a proud history prior to 1997 and the bars being the priority, I'd love to see Port return to that jumper. Arguably the best jumper the Power has ever worn.

Honestly I'm not a fan of the Baby Blue Hoops - but, it IS our history and it was the FIRST one we wore, so we should honour it on the Anniversary Game

Other than that I'm happy with the PBs for the Showdowns and the BIB with a commemorative logo for the balance next year

We should then revert back to the BiB

I know we are the same FC that wore the PBs for all those years, but we aren't the PAFC Magpies anymore

I love the PB's but I love the BiB as well

This feels like the right balance to me

Just got an email for this pre match function in a couple of weekends time. Supposedly Koch will be revealing what will be happening.

1559714805264.png

Does that middle guernsey that we wore 1997-2002 just get better with age? That was by far the superior of our 3 original strips, yet was the first to get scrapped. Either that or it's aged better than the others.

Its more fashion than football IMO.
It reminds me of a netball uniform. All it needs is initials for field positions, and its complete. Thunderbirds are go. Not for me but each to their own.

KT revealed a few things in the video below but being a lazy bastard will cut and paste what the Tsier wrote rather than type it up myself

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/ad00f94b9d51d20b1675e557f2c4699f
It comes as chief executive Keith Thomas has revealed a range of initiatives for next year’s celebrations of the club’s heritage, which include:

DESIGNING a commemorative logo, which honours both the Magpies and the Power

RELEASING a documentary

ISSUING a leather-bound book chronicling the history of the club

APPLYING to play a home anniversary game on May 24, exactly 150 years since the club first took on the “Young Australians” at Glanville, and

REDEVELOPING the Port Club, turning it into an interactive museum that will allow visitors to immerse themselves into the history of the club.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/ad00f94b9d51d20b1675e557f2c4699f

Logo

The first issue was to come up with a logo that reflected both the SANFL and AFL history of Port Adelaide.

“Most significantly is we’re going to build a commemorative logo,” Thomas told the club’s website. “Now that may not sound like a lot but when you think of the club since 1997 when we came into the AFL it really has been presented as two different identities — the Magpies and the Power.

“We’ve had some monumental struggles since 1997 to bring the club back together. “We think the 150th year will be a great opportunity to actually present the club, via a commemorative logo, as one again for the first time since we’ve been in the AFL. “We think that’s a really significant moment.”

Port Club / Museum

And the board had approved an upgrade of the Port Club to celebrate the history of Port Adelaide.

“That’s going to be a very, very special day for us,” Thomas said. “And the board has approved the redevelopment of the Port Club into a really modern bistro-type space where we can actually pay homage to the history of Port Adelaide.

“It will be very much a historical immersion into the club. “It will be something not only for Port Adelaide people but football followers around Australia will love to come and see.”

Great ideas listed in this post.
Especially the interactive museum.
Could not think of a better way to honor the history and traditions.

Also, to the players list

Keith Spencer : played 1964- 1973
Mark Williams (for himself, his brothers and father)
** MW is a must**

Just got an email for this pre match function in a couple of weekends time. Supposedly Koch will be revealing what will be happening.

View attachment 687216

If koch is involved it could also include a new club song. Something about a small club of battlers punching above their weight. A club thats happy to play second fiddle to Oollingwood. A club happy to change its traditions for a possible better tomorrow.

A few years ao I had all the faith in the club' marketing. Now I am not so sure. Koch gets involved and all my confidence in outcome disappears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly I'm not a fan of the Baby Blue Hoops - but, it IS our history and it was the FIRST one we wore, so we should honour it on the Anniversary Game

Other than that I'm happy with the PBs for the Showdowns and the BIB with a commemorative logo for the balance next year

We should then revert back to the BiB

I know we are the same FC that wore the PBs for all those years, but we aren't the PAFC Magpies anymore

I love the PB's but I love the BiB as well

This feels like the right balance to me

The nickname and the jumper doesn’t necessarily relate. .i.e West's sash didn't relate to either Wolves or Bloods

The baby blue and white hoops is a guess at what the first guernsey looked like. For me it doesn't say Port Adelaide, it says subservient compromise. If we wear that on the 150th anniversary I'll be feeling underwhelmed and disappointed rather than inspired. But I expect we will be so...

The baby blue and white hoops is a guess at what the first guernsey looked like. For me it doesn't say Port Adelaide, it says subservient compromise. If we wear that on the 150th anniversary I'll be feeling underwhelmed and disappointed rather than inspired. But I expect we will be so...

Wearing the blue and white hoops in my opinion is the worst thing we could do. I'd rather do nothing.

The blue and white hoops are so far removed from the PAFC identity that using them to celebrate our 150th would actually damage the club's brand. Same with the magenta guernsey. These two guernseys barely rate above a footnote in PAFC's history, any recognition of them should be proportiante to their low historical value. The Prison Bars must be front and centre of any celebration as it is synonymous with the PAFC identity and history.

The blue and white hoops are so far removed from the PAFC identity that using them to celebrate our 150th would actually damage the club's brand. Same with the magenta guernsey. These two guernseys barely rate above a footnote in PAFC's history, any recognition of them should be proportiante to their low historical value. The Prison Bars must be front and centre of any celebration as it is synonymous with the PAFC identity and history.

Whilst the blue and white hoops may have played a small role in our clubs history (4% of PAFC life has been in the hoops) it should be worn in the match that represents 150years since our first game. It was the first uniform we wore, and to not acknowledge it is no acknowledging our history. After all 1 match in 22 is about 4.5% of our games for 2020 (assuming just h&a) so it isn't an over representation of that jumper in the whole scheme of things. I do hope it is only worn once though.

I also think we should wear the magneta once to acknowledge that part of our history.

Those people that say Prison Bar is the only jumper we should wear, I understand that, but since 1902 when we first adopted the prison bar jumper we have had about 10 different Prison Bar designs since 1902, as well as 8 non-prison bar (b&w stripes) jumpers in that period. So which PB jumper do we use? do we take the original 1902 jumper? The most recent design? do we recognise the period in our history that we wore black and white stripes? (although eddie won't like that).

Do we also recognise the number of jumpers we have worn in the AFL?

What I would like to see happen with our jumpers is:

May 24 game v whoever - Baby Blue Hoops.

Rnd? v Sydney - Magneta (we won our first Championship of Australia v South Melbourne in this jumper).

Rnd? v Adel - PB jumper from the 50's.

Rnd? v Brisbane - 2004 AFL jumper (we won our first AFL premiership in this jumper).

Rnd? v Carlton - 1914 PB jumper (we won our last Championship of Australia v Carlton in 1914)

I would then like to see us wear the PB jumper at least in two other home games, with BiB for the remainder home games.

Ideally it would be cool to have us play in each jumper as an evolution of the jumpers... ie. Baby Blue Hoops first, then Magneta, then 1914 PB, then 1950's PB, then '04 AFL... but that may be hard given the May 24 game is set in stone at about rnd 8... but could be a cool 'see the PAFC evolution live over the next 6 home games' type marketing thing.

Excerpt from running sheet for 150th anniversary game at AO next year:

Home Strip: cornflower blue and vanilla hoops

Run Out Song: Spineless by Alanis Morissette

Banner Text: We Will Always Underwhelm and Disappoint

It's like having one of your kids visit you but when you open the door it's not your favourite.

No issue at all with us wearing the magenta or the white and blue hoops jumper next year as part of the celebrations, but the prison bar has to be worn and front and centre of any historic celebrations otherwise don’t bother.

Whilst the blue and white hoops may have played a small role in our clubs history (4% of PAFC life has been in the hoops) it should be worn in the match that represents 150years since our first game. It was the first uniform we wore, and to not acknowledge it is no acknowledging our history. After all 1 match in 22 is about 4.5% of our games for 2020 (assuming just h&a) so it isn't an over representation of that jumper in the whole scheme of things. I do hope it is only worn once though.

I also think we should wear the magneta once to acknowledge that part of our history.

Those people that say Prison Bar is the only jumper we should wear, I understand that, but since 1902 when we first adopted the prison bar jumper we have had about 10 different Prison Bar designs since 1902, as well as 8 non-prison bar (b&w stripes) jumpers in that period. So which PB jumper do we use? do we take the original 1902 jumper? The most recent design? do we recognise the period in our history that we wore black and white stripes? (although eddie won't like that).

Do we also recognise the number of jumpers we have worn in the AFL?

What I would like to see happen with our jumpers is:

May 24 game v whoever - Baby Blue Hoops.

Rnd? v Sydney - Magneta (we won our first Championship of Australia v South Melbourne in this jumper).

Rnd? v Adel - PB jumper from the 50's.

Rnd? v Brisbane - 2004 AFL jumper (we won our first AFL premiership in this jumper).

Rnd? v Carlton - 1914 PB jumper (we won our last Championship of Australia v Carlton in 1914)

I would then like to see us wear the PB jumper at least in two other home games, with BiB for the remainder home games.

Ideally it would be cool to have us play in each jumper as an evolution of the jumpers... ie. Baby Blue Hoops first, then Magneta, then 1914 PB, then 1950's PB, then '04 AFL... but that may be hard given the May 24 game is set in stone at about rnd 8... but could be a cool 'see the PAFC evolution live over the next 6 home games' type marketing thing.

Good post. I'm less attached to the idea of wearing Magenta and PBs against Sydney and Carlton, respectively, but it makes thematic sense.

Doubtless it will be universally unpopular, but I reckon there's a decent argument for wearing our '97 away strip in either Round 1/the weekend closest to March 29th or in a game against Collingwood, to mark our first AFL game/our first AFL opponent. Might also form the basis of a concession at the negotiation table to get us into the PBs.

Club needs to replace the pavers with names on them. Over 20 years old now. I would pay to have new ones. Think they were $75 for Magpies and $150 for Power ones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back