2020 Consensus 22: name the team FFS

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope Teague doesnt go with a lumbery backline. He didnt last year.
I would not like to see Jones, Weitering, Plow and Marchbank in the same backline. We havent won many games with those 4 all in the back 6.
Teague showed last year that it wasnt really his go. He picked smaller more running teams than Boltons land of the giants selections.
Fingers crossed.
Teague played Jones, Weitering, Marchbank & Plowman together every time all 4 were available for selection.

When one or more of them was unavailable he substituted a replacement big body whenever possible.

Round 22 was the smallest we ever went and that was because pretty much everyone who played tall defender was injured, which is why Setterfield went back to try and help, even though he's never really played down back at least he is capable of playing at the level and has some height.

Rd 12: Casboult, Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman
Rd 13: Casboult, Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman
Rd 15: Jones, Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman
Rd 16: Jones, Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman
Rd 17: Casboult, Goddard, Jones, Plowman
Rd 18: Jones, Weitering, Plowman
Rd 19: Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Casboult (part time)
Rd 20: Goddard, Weitering, Plowman, Casboult (part time)
Rd 21: Jones, Weitering, Plowman
Rd 22: Casboult, Plowman, Setterfield
Rd 23: Weitering, Plowman Setterfield, and Casboult was down there for a bit

Last edited:

It's difficult picking a first 18, and even a first 22 with everyone available.

In reality, about 26/27 players are real good chances of being in the 22 each week....if they are not one of the 4/5 who will be injured/suspended/ill/concussion/hungover each week.

Then the 27/32 players will get bits n pieces here and there.

Plowman Jones Simpson
Docherty Weitering SPS
EM: Newman| Williamson |Newnes | Casboult
INJ: Marchbank

going to be tough to break into defensive six/seven - I still think we are missing a strong line breaker ( Williamson?) and a big clearing over the press kicker in back six....a bit of continuity and injury free run and these boys will be finals quality defense.

Last edited:
I would like to see SPS used more midfield and potentially pushing forward is well.

Def in our best 22 if not 18 but did not pick as a defender.

But he played in defence in the back half of last year, and is in the defensive group in training.
So take it that he is a defender, may as well pick him in the position that he is going to play.

Plowman Jones Newman
Docherty Weitering SPS
EM: Williamson |Newnes | Casboult
INJ: Marchbank

going to be tough to break into defensive six/seven - I still think we are missing a strong line breaker ( Williamson?) and a big clearing over the press kicker in back six....a bit of continuity and injury free run and these boys will be finals quality defense.
Simpson retired??

I must admit to being absolutely amazed that people leave Newman out of their Best 22. Played 20 of 22 games last year, yet still amassed 428 disposals (5th highest of any Carlton player in 2019) and is essentially the only defender we have that can also impact the scoreboard. He's also only one of two defenders on our list capable of kicking the ball beyond the opposition's defensive zone. Arguably the best bargain basement buy the club's made since Heath Scotland.
Agree 💯 %

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is true and he polled well in here as well. I don’t know what the stats say either but it’s just what I see in him. He is also prone to making poor decision under pressure.
Reckon if you look hard enough, 90% of his mistakes last season happened when he left his opponent to cover someone else and was left holding the bag when his team mate who should have been there wasn’t.

We normally play 7 back with one of our wingers dropping back as soon as possible to become a +1 in defence, which could be one of Simpson, Doc or SPS.

So I can see Simpson or SPS starting as the defensive wing and dropping back but in this exercise will just name them both as defenders.

We normally play 7 back with one of our wingers dropping back as soon as possible to become a +1 in defence, which could be one of Simpson, Doc or SPS.

So I can see Simpson or SPS starting as the defensive wing and dropping back but in this exercise will just name them both as defenders.

Not under Teague.
We play two proper wingers, which was usually O'Brien and Setterfield.

We pick 7 defenders in the team, but that includes the one rotating off the bench.

FWIW I have settled on my back 7; Marchbank is the unlucky one to miss out on selection.

Came down to 2 factors:

1) Fitness. I know we're assuming everyone is fully fit, but when there's not much separating the options, you look for what little one may have over another. And as much as I rate Marchy I just can't trust his body.

2) Size. I don't worry about having X players over 190cm as height only tells a small part of the story, but if choosing between a tall or a small on a flank, I will always go the smaller option as it provides more flexibility and more importantly more run.

B: Docherty - Jones - Plowman
HB: Newman - Weitering - SPS
Bench: Simpson

Yeah, probably.
But
1. They're wrong
2. That means they're picking Newman in the 22 ahead of all but one of Fisher, Dow, Stocker, O'Brien, Newnes, Kennedy, Gibbons

Are they?

Surely we base the consensus 22 on who people think should be in our best side, and where we think they are best utilised, rather than what will happen.

I voted for SPS in the defensive group, but that is not because I think he should be back there, but rather because I think that's where he will play. So I can absolutely understand why people aren't voting for SPS here - they think he's better utilised further up the ground.

As for your second point, I don't see that as an issue. I'd have Newman in my R1 side before at least 4 of those names, so it's not a stretch to suggest Newman is being picked before more of them.

I suspect many will be hoping SPS features in the midfield poll as well.
Will be interesting to see who makes the team. I'm doing the forwards next, so there's going to be a similar element when it comes to players not being voted for because people see them playing a mid role.

I think there's 5 'safe bet' midfielders and 4 forwards in the same boat, which would potentially mean 5 spots up for grabs. I think we can probably assume a few favourites will miss out altogether, right or wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back