2020 Consensus 22: name the team FFS

Beer n Skittles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rampage
Yeh, FWIW I think Fisher is a clear stand-out to make it 6 locked too. As per my vote. But he's the first one an argument could be made against, the first 5 are all picking themselves. Stocker, Dow, Newnes, LOB, even Kennedy will have to put their cases forward.
I think Teague would be a big fan of Fisher.

When he says that we want to play with more attacking flair, to me it sounds like "get the ball to Fisher".

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think we'll have a forward 7. There'll be 4 permanent forwards, and the rest will rotate.

Jack needs to be able to support Cripps in the midfield if he plays, and Stocker needs to be able to be a solid forward target if he plays. Kennedy is the backup after those two, and also for McGovern.
Spot on.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
We will have a hell of a midfield if potential turns into results.

Reckon Cripps, Murphy, Curnow, Setterfield and Walsh will be locks.

The rest will come from Newnes, O'Brien, Dow, Stocker, Gibbons and Fisher.

The dark horses are Docherty who I can see spending time on the wing as I can with Williamson and Newman. Martin is a midfield option but I think will play forward for needs. If it wasn't for injury I would have Kemp in the list of possibilities to pop up but I think the real dark horse could be Ramsay. Probably early days but a guy who can run, can accumulate and plays hard footy appeals a lot to me. Probably the sort who would have played plenty a few years ago but can wait a little longer with a more mature midfield. SPS could spend some time in the midfield and Kennedy's fitness cold translate into competent AFL midfield work as well.

We seem to be in a good spot midfield wise now. The only way it fails is if the guys from that secondary list don't go up a level and rise to the occasion or if our midfield lacks that completeness. That would be if it lacks hardness, running ability, skills, repeat efforts, good tackling, good pressure and communication. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
Cripps, Walsh, Setterfield, Curnow, Murphy, Gibbons and Fisher.

This is based on what I've seen at training thus far. Planning to make it down this Friday to further assess.

Just don't think Stocker's fitness is there yet. Dow with a fresh haircut may surprise. Newnes needs more time to gel with the group and express himself on the track.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Cripps, Walsh, Setterfield, Curnow, Murphy, Gibbons and Fisher.

This is based on what I've seen at training thus far. Planning to make it down this Friday to further assess.

Just don't think Stocker's fitness is there yet. Dow with a fresh haircut may surprise. Newnes needs more time to gel with the group and express himself on the track.

Who plays wing?

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Gibbons is a lock for me. The game against the Lions this year proved how good he can be through the middle. With a full AFL preseason and a clear go at his best position he could be a huge improver.

Agree with Cripps, Murphy, ECurnow, Walsh and Setters as the locks. Dow the for a bit of balance, Fisher leaves us one to small as a pure midfielder IMO. Really tough to leave him out but I’m sure he finds a spot elsewhere on the field anyhow.

calman

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2008
ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
1575891105788.png

only 99% not 100% for cripps, who is the muppet that did not vote for him

GapInIkonPark

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I opted for ...

Cripps
Murphy
Ed Curnow
Walsh
Setterfield

and then

Newnes
O’Brien

Consensus to now with around 110 votes in has ... Fisher in a comfortable sixth spot (1st midfield bench rotation) and Newnes seventh (2nd midfield bench rotation) shading out Gibbons, with Dow and O’Brien further back, and Stocker the one other in double figures.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I opted for ...

Cripps
Murphy
Ed Curnow
Walsh
Setterfield

and then

Newnes
O’Brien

Consensus to now with around 110 votes in has ... Fisher in a comfortable sixth spot (1st midfield bench rotation) and Newnes seventh (2nd midfield bench rotation) shading out Gibbons, with Dow and O’Brien further back, and Stocker the one other in double figures.

Our starting 5 & 1st bench spot are locked with Cripps (99%), Walsh (99%), Curnow (97%), Setterfield (97%), Murphy (96%) and Fisher (70%) - no surprises there.

Newnes (36%) currently the favourite for the 2nd bench spot with Gibbons (29%) ahead of Dow (24%) for the midfield emergency spot.

Feels like we're just about there... a few more votes to come in then we'll move on to the rucks (which won't take long) before formally announcing the consensus 22 (& reserves!).

Crippa
Murph
Walsh
Setterfield and newnes on wings
Stocker and Gibbo on bench
massive apologies to Ed

If we are picking players purely to win matches in 2020, I'm picking Ed ahead of Setters, Newnes, Stocker and Gibbo.

And it's not even close, IMHO.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If we are picking players purely to win matches in 2020, I'm picking Ed ahead of Setters, Newnes, Stocker and Gibbo.

And it's not even close, IMHO.
I'm picking Ed and Setters ahead of Newnes, Stocker & Gibbo. Think Newnes & Gibbo will be around the mark, Stocker might need to improve his tank a bit more before he starts pushing for 'best 22' selection (will obviously still get games, like many, due to injury/suspension/etc)

Back