Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

I found it interesting reading today that according to Champion Data, we recorded the second worst centre clearance differential ever recorded. The second worst ever, and that was with Brad Crouch who was the leading clearance player we had. Now when you’re a bad side there are excuses for your forwards, because the ball isn’t getting in there well or much, and your defense, because they are getting overwhelmed, but center clearances are a 50/50 ball each time and we even had a dominant ruckman.

surely those statistics tell us that we need to address our midfield before we make any judgements on the forwards or backmen we currently have, as they have been playing with one arm tied behind there back this year. Holland’s at 1 and Macrae at 9, who is probably the best pure mid after Phillips and has great disposal on both feet, with even 22 and 23 going for at least one more of Poulter, Stone, Pedlar, Carroll or O’Driscoll.
How were we the last six weeks?

There’s nearly 800 footballers on lists who have all come through the draft. It’s only an amazingly small percentage who decide to go home because they miss mum, only Jack Gunstan springs to mind really. most footballers would be 1 club players if it was their choice, but of the few who decide to leave, at least 90% would be because of money or opportunity.
Deciding on a player in the draft because of where they come from is absurd when you realize that 90% come from somewhere else.

and btw, pessimists think their realists, but their not. Far, far more good things happen to us in life than bad, and making decisions based on the tiny percent of times things go wrong, just means you miss out on opportunities.
Maybe the ones that are very good and are subject to ridiculous contract offers are more likely to take the offer. McDonald is likely to be a kid that will field such offers from the WA teams if his career projects like many think

Holland for one this year.
And McDonald & if you read the latest interview, Thilthorpe. I have been an optimist for my whole life, but Perkins has sailed close to being accused of draft tampering in 2 interviews, but significantly back-tracked a bit in the most recent interview. Could be a young lad feeling his way with the media circus or he got warned by somebody - possibly his manager. I have never heard, in recent years, a draftee enthusiastically talk about going to a specific uni, which happens to be in his home state.
However, having said all that, what we mature people know is that he may go interstate reluctantly, & yet love the club, grow to love the city & never leave!!!

And McDonald & if you read the latest interview, Thilthorpe. I have been an optimist for my whole life, but Perkins has sailed close to being accused of draft tampering in 2 interviews, but significantly back-tracked a bit in the most recent interview. Could be a young lad feeling his way with the media circus or he got warned by somebody - possibly his manager. I have never heard, in recent years, a draftee enthusiastically talk about going to a specific uni, which happens to be in his home state.
However, having said all that, what we mature people know is that he may go interstate reluctantly, & yet love the club, grow to love the city & never leave!!!
nah..he has got Nathan Buckley written all over him

Potential Pick 40 options: Edwards, Henry Smith, Baldwin if he's not gone before then, Spicer (that's a long shot)

We should come up with a bit of a list.
Pedlar, Baldwin, Spicer, Trew, Ginnivan, Angwin, Durdin, Ollie Davis, Dumesny, Kolar, Smith, Maher, Treacy, Nick Stevens, Winder ...

That's just folks who have turned up after 30 in people's mocks and ratings - and I DIDN'T put Stone in there, because he seems to be going up the list with a rush.

It's pick 38. Someone we rate in the top 25 will be there.

Pedlar, Baldwin, Spicer, Trew, Ginnivan, Angwin, Durdin, Ollie Davis, Dumesny, Kolar, Smith, Maher, Treacy, Nick Stevens, Winder ...

That's just folks who have turned up after 30 in people's mocks and ratings - and I DIDN'T put Stone in there, because he seems to be going up the list with a rush.

On Kolar, reading his bio, definately got traits Hamish would like, potential.
196 cm same as LM plays as KPF. Maybe that may be an indication who we take at 1. Hollands, justthinking out loud. Said be late or rookie selection, fits into our scheme.

And Mutineer threw the name Max Holmes into the mix earlier today.

And Mutineer threw the name Max Holmes into the mix earlier today.

Well just looking at combine results, max holmes second quickest in speed just behind reef McInnes

But Liam Kolar 4 th quickest, and 3 draft in 2 km trial at 6.02 v impressive, as well as being v athletic.

Would not surprise if we call out somewhere, one of these names, and include stone to that mix.

Hamish sure likes going on potential, and what they become as afl footballers

Maybe the ones that are very good and are subject to ridiculous contract offers are more likely to take the offer. McDonald is likely to be a kid that will field such offers from the WA teams if his career projects like many think
But why wouldn’t we be able to match. We all have the same salary cap, and we would be the incumbents. If he turns out to be a star and attracts a huge offer, like Grundy did from us, then it’s up to us to cough up to keep him, and he would deserve that contract. And then in the small chance that he is a star and still decides to leave then we get 3 firsts like Geelong did for Kelly then go back to the draft and try again.

But why wouldn’t we be able to match. We all have the same salary cap, and we would be the incumbents. If he turns out to be a star and attracts a huge offer, like Grundy did from us, then it’s up to us to cough up to keep him, and he would deserve that contract. And then in the small chance that he is a star and still decides to leave then we get 3 firsts like Geelong did for Kelly then go back to the draft and try again.
Very few times in our history have we chosen to match and if the player wants to go..very very hard to change their mind. It is just something that will be a forever question with him as he will have interstate admirers particularly the 2 WA teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very few times in our history have we chosen to match and if the player wants to go..very very hard to change their mind. It is just something that will be a forever question with him as he will have interstate admirers particularly the 2 WA teams.
Yeah well GC will always have that with Rowell as well, but I still think it was the right decision to draft him.

btw I think you would be surprised how many times when we don’t match, like with B Crouch, it’s because we don’t want to keep the player. It certainly wasn’t common knowledge that we had offered Dusty $7 mill or whatever it was, so a lot goes on behind the scenes with these things. Bottom line is that if Perkins is there at 9 and we rate him as the best player then we absolutely should back ourselves in and take him.

When Nicks said we'll take the best available, does that after we bid on JUH we'll take best available or the bid on JUH is the best available and after that we take Thilthorpe. People can't seriously think Thilthorpe is the best player in the draft

No, but IMO the pick #9 will be shaped by who we take at #1 .....no surprises

Still murmurings of an attempted GC / ADEL pick swap ?

Let’s hope so if it only costs a future second. Could easily get RT and Hollands in that scenario

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

When Nicks said we'll take the best available, does that after we bid on JUH we'll take best available or the bid on JUH is the best available and after that we take Thilthorpe. People can't seriously think Thilthorpe is the best player in the draft
There's only one "people" that counts ....Hamish.

Hmmm. Hamish has shown he is not afraid to take the interstate over the local which does give me a bit of confidence for someone who is hoping we take McDonald
We need an accurate goal kicker. Goals win games, you can have the best mids in the business but if forwards can’t kick straight it, slick entry into fwd 50 becomes largely irrelevant. Logan is v accurate. Hoping we get him

Ha..they way GC have devalued their picks as seen in trheir trades with Geelong last year and this year, they might ask for pick 9 for their pick 5 and their 2021 2nd haha

I heard GC wanted to trade 5 for Geelong's 51 but Geelong talked them out of it and said 27 for a third rounder next year instead. This got rubber stamped by the AFL due to the maturity shown by Geelong in not taking advantage of the situation.

There’s nearly 800 footballers on lists who have all come through the draft. It’s only an amazingly small percentage who decide to go home because they miss mum, only Jack Gunstan springs to mind really. most footballers would be 1 club players if it was their choice, but of the few who decide to leave, at least 90% would be because of money or opportunity.
Deciding on a player in the draft because of where they come from is absurd when you realize that 90% come from somewhere else.

and btw, pessimists think their realists, but their not. Far, far more good things happen to us in life than bad, and making decisions based on the tiny percent of times things go wrong, just means you miss out on opportunities.
That last bit is very true, and if you follow my posting you'll see I'm very much the positive type.

But this isn't pessimism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back