Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

It's a compromised draft in a season where a majority of players had no game time. Sure there's some talent but I don't think you'll see teams scrambling or paying overs to get extra picks in the Top 10 to 15. They'll go with what they've got.

2021 on the other hand...

Correct.

I do hope that we can use our current Picks 22, 23 and try and get another teams future 1st or 2nd ideally.

I just think if we're taking McDonald then O'Driscoll is a no brainer whatever we do, same with Hollands I think if we take him then Zavier Maher is a no brainer. And I think keeping interstate mates together does work in retention if you look at Brisbane as an example with the Vic Country lads.

Both O'Driscoll and Maher are excellent prospects in their own right and I'd be rapt to have either or both running around in a Crows jumper next year anyhow.
Both have the speed and hard edge we really need in our engine room...there is not a better mid defensibly than O'Driscoll and there iis very, very few mids in this draft that can match Zavier's explosiveness and contested ball.
Yep agreed, I still have O'Driscoll higher than most do, has the athletic traits and footy smarts to really have an impact in our midfield, in particular. If he can learn to burst from stoppages a bit more and not fall into the trap of being handball-happy he'll be one of the best mids in this draft class for sure, IMO

Maher is someone that, even without selecting Hollands, I hope we can get at 22/23. Not just that explosiveness, but his ability to gain tons of metres with his run and kicking from stoppages, too. A bit rough around the edges in some areas, but the upside is too good to pass up IMO

If we end up keeping both of 22 and 23, I'd hope we can grab two of, say, NOD/Poulter/Maher/Carroll/Cook/Pedlar (I may be forgetting a couple of others, too). That said, Hamish probably has a surprise up his sleeve ahaha

Mutineer i know you have probs been asked this question a 1000 times but at what ranking do you have McDonald?

On talent alone Hollands, Ugle-Hagan and Campbell for me, McDonald in the next group with Grainger-Barass, Perkins, Cox, Thilthorpe and Phillips.

Then it gets down to preferences in the 2nd group whether you go tall or mid - mid/forward. I probably have Perkins and Cox closer to the top talents in this draft than most others.

Jamarra and Campbell obviously almost certainly not available.

Last edited:
It would rely on them being deadset keen on 1 player and think we will take that player
I don't think it's impossible at all.

Perhaps 1, 22 and 40 for 2, 11 and 71.

And the other questions for those that have watched him alot are how is his kicking ? Is it penetrating and is he dangerous overhead resting forward ?
Affirmative...think Isaac Smith.

On talent alone Hollands, Ugle-Hagan and Campbell for me, McDonald in the next group with Grainger-Barass, Perkins, Cox, Thilthorpe and Phillips.

Then it gets down to preferences in the 2nd group whether you go tall or mid - mid/forward. I probably have Perkins and Cox closer to the top talents in this draft than most others.

Perkins and Cox project beautifully

I’d have DGB in that top echelon too but we won’t be taking defenders this draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely not the running power of Smith ? Speed etc ? Otherwise he’d be top 10 wouldn’t he ? Or just too raw so some risk

if he ended up near Menegola level I’d be happy , Smith for sure

I’m not usually SA centric but I think Powell and Poulter would be a great mix for us . The pure inside guy and the guy with upside and size that starts outside

It's a compromised draft in a season where a majority of players had no game time. Sure there's some talent but I don't think you'll see teams scrambling or paying overs to get extra picks in the Top 10 to 15. They'll go with what they've got.

2021 on the other hand...
History will show as many stars from this year as from any other. In any competitive environment, be it business or sport or whatever, always do what everyone else isn’t, that becomes your competitive advantage. If everyone else wants to get out of this draft, then nail your colors to it and go all in. If we can get Holland’s and McDonald, I believe we will look back in 10 years and go how did we manage to do that.

Surely not the running power of Smith ? Speed etc ? Otherwise he’d be top 10 wouldn’t he ? Or just too raw so some risk

if he ended up near Menegola level I’d be happy , Smith for sure
Yes sir.

Lightly built and no real exposure at the elite junior level....probably goes higher than some think on potential...never going to have the solid build of Menegola IMO...unless Stephen Dank makes an AFL comeback. ;)

if we shared your view and bid on both JUH and Campbell it’d blow the draft right open and increase our chances of a slider by taking swans out of the picture

or better yet, we tell them we’re bidding on him at 2 (after JUH at 1), but maybe if they made us a decent offer to upgrade 9 for their pick 3 then we wouldn’t.

Either scenario would rely on us being happy to take him at 2 though

I’m not usually SA centric but I think Powell and Poulter would be a great mix for us . The pure inside guy and the guy with upside and size that starts outside
To be fair, this year is probably unusually SA centric due to the amount of exposure the SA/WA guys got compared to Vic

Powell won't last until 22/23. He'll be an extremely good workhorse midfielder for a team in the 10-18 range, I can actually see NM going for him at 11 (Cunnington replacement)

That's not quite correct in Logan McDonald's defence, he' been well and truly on AFL recruiters radars right through his junior career. AA at U16 level and WA rep last year as an under-ager which is a pretty mean effort for an underdeveloped Key Forward.

View attachment 1023186

I see Jye Sinderberry made the all Aust team that year, is he a chance of getting drafted this year ?
I haven't heard his name mentioned at all.

Cheers mate! Excited for what Wednesday brings.

I see Jye Sinderberry made the all Aust team that year, is he a chance of getting drafted this year ?
I haven't heard his name mentioned at all.
Don't think so, just an average season and he's a tweener at 189cm....did get a combine invite so not altogether out of the question, rookie probably his best chance?

if we shared your view and bid on both JUH and Campbell it’d blow the draft right open and increase our chances of a slider by taking swans out of the picture

or better yet, we tell them we’re bidding on him at 2 (after JUH at 1), but maybe if they made us a decent offer to upgrade 9 for their pick 3 then we wouldn’t.

Either scenario would rely on us being happy to take him at 2 though
I can see us bidding on Jamarra but not Campbell...If Campbell was say 188cm and 84kg I think he'd be in Pick 1 contention but unfortunately he's not.
Still going to be a gun forward/midfielder that won't need a bunch of possessions to do some really serious damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back