Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

And what do you gain by that given that NM will bid the very next pick? Nothing!

WB could not give a flying fu** about the extra handful of points that they have to give up if its pick 1 or pick 2. Its not even a blip on anyone's radar.

Alternatively we tell our kid "You are our guy" and you get $10k from NAB as a result. Its a nice gesture particularly if you are taking an interstate kid with that pick.
You bid as it keeps your reputation for bidding. I'm convinced that reputation was used to get the deal with GWS (4-> 6, 9) last year.

Carlton bid on Liam Henry last year, meaning Freo sent into deficit...just happens that Carlton then leapfrogged Freo in the draft position this year as a result.

There's no downside to bidding.

We need to address our midfield and our forward line. We wont be contending for another 4-5 years so why does it matter if we address our forward line first and then our midfield next year? It wont change the timeframe on our path back to a contending side. This year has a stronger crop of talls so it makes sense to try to address that part of our rebuild this year and then go hard on the mids next year.

I agree that we shouldn't take another tall at 9 if we take one at pick 1, I think we can get a very good mid here that could go on to be an A grade talent. We then take the best mid available next year with our first pick likely to be in the top 3, combine them with the talent we already have in Schoenberg, Jones, Hately and that is potentially a very good midfield and then a good forward line to go with it.
Everything you say makes perfect sense, except that I don’t believe we will take anywhere near 4-5 years. It’s a myth perpetuated by coaches who are just trying to take the pressure off themselves for the first 3 years and rehashed by lazy journals who idolize coaches. There is absolutely no reason why Adelaide shouldn’t be looking at 8-10 wins next year and finals the year after.

Not bidding on JUH tells McDonald "you are the best in the draft, now go and be the best". It's everything he's worked for, and given his exposed form (I love that phrase), rightly so. Bidding on JUH, who dogs pick up for nothing regardless thanks to new rules for this year only, only serves to take away what would otherwise be a very special moment in young McDonald's AFL career and move to Adelaide.
The 10K means nothing though.

And what do you gain by that given that NM will bid the very next pick? Nothing!

WB could not give a flying fu** about the extra handful of points that they have to give up if its pick 1 or pick 2. Its not even a blip on anyone's radar.

Alternatively we tell our kid "You are our guy" and you get $10k from NAB as a result. Its a nice gesture particularly if you are taking an interstate kid with that pick.
I disagree and personally when you're talking flying *s I don't think the kid we draft would give a flying * either....He's fulfilled his dream of getting on an AFL list. Gesture really?

I believe it's the 9th, not that you'd know it from looking at the AFL website. Has there ever been a worse designed website in the history of the interwebz?
makingheadsortailsofidioms-com-dog-breakfast-pic-png.631848

Pretty obvious what the wink emoji was for.
And the injury concerns are small, he just isnt as talented as the top 10-12 in this years draft.
I'll have to disagree with you this time ......Thilthorpe over McDonald everyday (reasons already outlined in numerous posts of mine)

My call on Grainger-Barrass looking good, coming home with a strong finish .....Top 5 now

Phillips falling, again as I've predicted .....was never a Pick #1 option ....at ESS's pick is about right

Happy with Bruhn, McHenry, Macrae at Pick #9 ....in that order

Picks #22 / 23 are intriguing now .....if the first round were to pan out as per Shifter / Twomey's Phantom Draft

Possibilities
Eddie Ford
Height, Weight:
188cm, 79kg
Profile: An athletic utility, Ford has the scope to play forward, midfield or in defence. Possessing an impressive vertical leap, Ford is an aerial marking threat and combines this with agility, evasion, class and composure with ball in hand.

I'm a HUGE Fan .....
Blake Coleman (Brisbane - Academy - matching North Melbourne's bid)
Height, Weight: 181cm, 79kg
Profile: The younger brother of Brisbane's Keidean Coleman, Blake displays similar potential as a speedy, pressure forward, though is arguable more advanced at the same age. Blake plays a lively style of game and exerts his influence with his forward pressure and tackling but combines this with classy, one-touch pickups off the deck and impressive skills by hand and foot.

Don't care .....love how he plays
Kaine Baldwin
Height, Weight:
193cm, 92kg
Profile: Suffering a second season-ending ACL, Baldwin is one of the most exciting players in this year's draft and if not for the second knee injury may have been in the top-10 draft mix. Dominating in the Under 16s, Baldwin has proven he is a strong marking force and damaging close to goal.

Zavier Maher
Height, Weight:
184cm, 83kg
Profile: Maher is a damaging midfielder who plays a high-impact-per-possession game. While he doesn't find as much of the ball as many predicted to go before him, he can win his own ball and displays a high work rate, bursts away at speed with ball in hand and lowers his eyes and hits inside 50 targets by foot.

You have no idea what sort of pressure a pick 1 in Adelaide would have.

You support one of the poor, little clubs that operate off broadway, very different kind of spot light, no offence.
If Riley Thilthorpe is selected at pick 2 and is a bust. And Hollands and McDonald dominate. Nobody in the Adelaide media is going to give a s**t that Thilthorpe wasn’t selected at pick 1.

Pretty obvious what the wink emoji was for.
And the injury concerns are small, he just isnt as talented as the top 10-12 in this years draft.
That's possibly the dumbest thing you've said, and it's a very long list.

Not as talented as the top 10/12 ???? Ridiculous

I just find it hard to take his rankings of SA and to a lesser extent WA draftees seriously given he's admitted he hasn't watched any SANFL this year....and unlike other years no Championships to get a real handle on how they stack up. The AFL Draft Central team make the effort to watch all football in all states and have a set of eyes in each state as well. Tom Wyman in SA.
I agree with that.

I'm just saying, for better or worse, that Knightmare has been running and updating that ranking list throughout the year. He's not just knocking off Ed Pascoe.

If Riley Thilthorpe is selected at pick 2 and is a bust. And Hollands and McDonald dominate. Nobody in the Adelaide media is going to give a sh*t that Thilthorpe wasn’t selected at pick 1.
What exactly is your interest in who Adelaide take with our first pick apart from the fact we may force the Bulldogs to use a few more points....whoever we take won't be on the Bulldogs list in 2021 end of story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll have to disagree with you this time ......Thilthorpe over McDonald everyday (reasons already outlined in numerous posts of mine)

My call on Grainger-Barrass looking good, coming home with a strong finish .....Top 5 now

Phillips falling, again as I've predicted .....was never a Pick #1 option ....at ESS's pick is about right

Happy with Bruhn, McHenry, Macrae at Pick #9 ....in that order

Picks #22 / 23 are intriguing now .....if the first round were to pan out as per Shifter / Twomey's Phantom Draft

Possibilities
Eddie Ford
Height, Weight:
188cm, 79kg
Profile: An athletic utility, Ford has the scope to play forward, midfield or in defence. Possessing an impressive vertical leap, Ford is an aerial marking threat and combines this with agility, evasion, class and composure with ball in hand.

I'm a HUGE Fan .....
Blake Coleman (Brisbane - Academy - matching North Melbourne's bid)
Height, Weight: 181cm, 79kg
Profile: The younger brother of Brisbane's Keidean Coleman, Blake displays similar potential as a speedy, pressure forward, though is arguable more advanced at the same age. Blake plays a lively style of game and exerts his influence with his forward pressure and tackling but combines this with classy, one-touch pickups off the deck and impressive skills by hand and foot.

Don't care .....love how he plays
Kaine Baldwin
Height, Weight:
193cm, 92kg
Profile: Suffering a second season-ending ACL, Baldwin is one of the most exciting players in this year's draft and if not for the second knee injury may have been in the top-10 draft mix. Dominating in the Under 16s, Baldwin has proven he is a strong marking force and damaging close to goal.

Zavier Maher
Height, Weight:
184cm, 83kg
Profile: Maher is a damaging midfielder who plays a high-impact-per-possession game. While he doesn't find as much of the ball as many predicted to go before him, he can win his own ball and displays a high work rate, bursts away at speed with ball in hand and lowers his eyes and hits inside 50 targets by foot.

you're way off on Logan.
For me in my 30 ish years of following the draft, he's the 2nd best KPF i've seen since Nick R.
Doesn't mean he will go on with it, but you have to take him.

whats wrong with taking mcdonald at 1? its either him or hollands.
Not in terms of our picks as such, but his way of ranking players is very highly based upon their production curves.

Bit hard for kids to move up and down a ranking system when they haven't played.

Not really. A player selected with #1 pick gets $10K from NAB. Why would we want that to go to a Bulldogs player when we know that Bulldogs will certainly match any bid.

I'd rather our lad get that $10k in their pocket.
I'd rather our choice at #1 not have the pressure associated with that pick .....$10K over the millions he'll make is inconsequential

As it is ..the next 10 years on the Big Footy Board is going to be dominated by the Thilthorpe / McDonald / Hollands selection

David Mackay can rest easy now .....

Sheehan has us taking Thilthorpe pick one and Macrae pick 9 in the mock draft with Twomey
This is possibly even better to listen to:

It's the main Draft Central guys and the lads from the AFL Lystics podcast (which looks at list builds) doing a full three round live draft,all taking different teams.

Last edited:
I agree with that.

I'm just saying, for better or worse, that Knightmare has been running and updating that ranking list throughout the year. He's not just knocking off Ed Pascoe.
Well on SA and to a lesser extent WA draftees he has had no Nationals this year to go on and most of the SA lads didn't play Nationals last year, take Brayden Cook for instance who he has raved about did nothing of real note last year and has never figured in any of the elite programs before this year.

I'd rather our choice at #1 not have the pressure associated with that pick .....$10K over the millions he'll make is inconsequential

As it is ..the next 10 years on the Big Footy Board is going to be dominated by the Thilthorpe / McDonald / Hollands selection

David Mackay can rest easy now .....
Meh!

Whoever our pick is, they will have the Adelaide fishbowl pressure. That part of it is not going to change really as the date will happen regardless of whether the player is selected at #1 or at #2. It comes with the territory of being the highest ever pick.

Not really. A player selected with #1 pick gets $10K from NAB. Why would we want that to go to a Bulldogs player when we know that Bulldogs will certainly match any bid.

I'd rather our lad get that $10k in their pocket.
Who gives a * about $10k?

Besides, pick 2 gets $5k. But who gives a s**t either way? If that even enters our thinking, we should give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back