Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

You’re treating this as a one year rebuild

we won’t be rebuilt after this draft

the smarter thing to do would be take the 2 best players at those picks and if they happen to be McDonald at 1 and Thilthorpe at 9 yes we may stink next year but we also will have pick 1 or similar to take a Horne

we also have those early 20s picks this year and who’s to say we won’t get a very good mid there

and have our tall forward structure set for years
Actually I wouldn’t take either tall personally, it’s not about how long the rebuild takes, it’s about what we are deficient in. We were dead motherless last in inside 50’s and center clearances this year, and add to that we lost our best midfielder, so it doesn’t matter who we put up forward if that’s not addressed. We simply can’t judge our forward line this season as they are not only all young, but they were not given a chance with the way the ball came in, but there was enough improvement in a few guys like a Himmelberg, McAdam and Stengle to suggest we have the tools already to work around.

If we took 2 talls this year we might as well trade Fog and Himmelberg out and start any rebuild from scratch.

for the record I would take Holland’s, Carroll, Pedlar, Baldwin and Spicer.

Ok stripped back a bit:
Ade picks 3 & 14 for picks 1 & 23
Syd pick 1 for pick 3 & 2021 2nd round
Coll pick 23 & 2021 2nd round (Syd) for pick 14
No way Adelaide accepts that deal. Pick #1 may be on the table, but only if we're receiving massive overs in return. Pick #1 is worth 3000pts - they wouldn't contemplate trading it for anything less than 4000pts.

I believe it's the 9th, not that you'd know it from looking at the AFL website. Has there ever been a worse designed website in the history of the interwebz?
Yeah, the AFL Fantasy site...oh wait, it's the same site.

Ok stripped back a bit:
Ade picks 3 & 14 for picks 1 & 23
Syd pick 1 for pick 3 & 2021 2nd round
Coll pick 23 & 2021 2nd round (Syd) for pick 14
I like that better and the Sydney part of that could definitely happen, probably need their 2021 1st involved though, however I think the second part with Collingwood is more likely to see them move up to 9 to get ahead of any bid on McInnes. GWS could be looking at our 9 as well.

Sydney have announced that apparently they'll bid at 3 on Jamarra if he's still there

Word is we will bid on Braeden Campbell if he's still there at 9.

Wonder how they'd feel if North bid on him JUH, the dogs didn't match then the Dogs were allowed to take McDonald out from in front of the Swans.

"Who should pick who? Listen to our first-round mock draft based on club needs."

good thing we arent drafing on needs aye hamish?

They stress this draft is based on needs not talent, and with the very 1st pick don’t mention Adelaides needs once. In fact Shifter talks about the 3 talls being the best players so Adelaide will look there. Not exactly a needs based draft Shifter.

No way Adelaide accepts that deal. Pick #1 may be on the table, but only if we're receiving massive overs in return. Pick #1 is worth 3000pts - they wouldn't contemplate trading it for anything less than 4000pts.
could not agree with you more..if we are trading pick 1, then it has to be for either pick2, 3 or 4 in this draft AND a 2021 1st - if we had to offer up a 2nd rounder - ie the Melbourne 2nd for Sydney's 1st as part of the swap then I'd do that

ie
out 1 & 2021 Melb 2nd
in 3 & Sydney 2021 1st

Assuming North's pick 2 can't be dislodged.
How about:

Ade picks 1, 9, 23 & 40
Syd picks 3 & 2021 2nd rounder
Haw pick 4
Coll picks 14, 16 & 2021 1st rounder

becomes

Ade picks 3, 4 & 16
Syd pick 1 - ensure they get a pick in before a Campbell bid
Haw pick 14 & 2021 1st (Coll) - turn 1 first round pick into 2, bank on Coll slipping next year
Coll picks 9, 23, 40 & 2021 2nd (Syd) - get a pick in before McInnes bid, points for McInnes, points for Daicos next year

Or take out picks 16 & 23 if the above is too much in our favour.

Only really worth it for us if we're keen on Phillips or DGB? Presume McDonald and Hollands go 1 & 2 in that scenario.

Not sure Hawks would be in a hurry to help out the Swans either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really. A player selected with #1 pick gets $10K from NAB. Why would we want that to go to a Bulldogs player when we know that Bulldogs will certainly match any bid.

I'd rather our lad get that $10k in their pocket.
I wouldn't and I hope Hamish and Justin aren't thinking like that unless they don't have Jamarra at the top of their rankings. Pick 1 should be on the player they rate at No.1 regardless of their ties to other clubs through NGA, Academies or Father/Sons. Already we don't have access to Alex Davies or Joel Jeffrey because they've been pre-listed by the GCS which is another AFL rort. Stick true to our rankings.

Actually I wouldn’t take either tall personally, it’s not about how long the rebuild takes, it’s about what we are deficient in. We were dead motherless last in inside 50’s and center clearances this year, and add to that we lost our best midfielder, so it doesn’t matter who we put up forward if that’s not addressed. We simply can’t judge our forward line this season as they are not only all young, but they were not given a chance with the way the ball came in, but there was enough improvement in a few guys like a Himmelberg, McAdam and Stengle to suggest we have the tools already to work around.

If we took 2 talls this year we might as well trade Fog and Himmelberg out and start any rebuild from scratch.

for the record I would take Holland’s, Carroll, Pedlar, Baldwin and Spicer.
We need to address our midfield and our forward line. We wont be contending for another 4-5 years so why does it matter if we address our forward line first and then our midfield next year? It wont change the timeframe on our path back to a contending side. This year has a stronger crop of talls so it makes sense to try to address that part of our rebuild this year and then go hard on the mids next year.

I agree that we shouldn't take another tall at 9 if we take one at pick 1, I think we can get a very good mid here that could go on to be an A grade talent. We then take the best mid available next year with our first pick likely to be in the top 3, combine them with the talent we already have in Schoenberg, Jones, Hately and that is potentially a very good midfield and then a good forward line to go with it.

Hilarious that you think whoever you think goes pick 2 won’t have any pressure on him to perform because your club made a bid for JUH at 1 😂😂.

You have no idea what sort of pressure a pick 1 in Adelaide would have.

You support one of the poor, little clubs that operate off broadway, very different kind of spot light, no offence.

Not really. A player selected with #1 pick gets $10K from NAB. Why would we want that to go to a Bulldogs player when we know that Bulldogs will certainly match any bid.

I'd rather our lad get that $10k in their pocket.
Seriously, $10k? This will be a footballer who will play 10 years earning north of $600k each year on average.

I'd rather our boy didn't have the pick 1 BS and less pressure.

I wouldn't and I hope Hamish and Justin aren't thinking like that unless they don't have Jamarra at the top of their rankings. Pick 1 should be on the player they rate at No.1 regardless of their ties to other clubs through NGA, Academies or Father/Sons. Already we don't have access to Alex Davies or Joel Jeffrey because they've been pre-listed by the GCS which is another AFL rort. Stick true to our rankings.
And what do you gain by that given that NM will bid the very next pick? Nothing!

WB could not give a flying * about the extra handful of points that they have to give up if its pick 1 or pick 2. Its not even a blip on anyone's radar.

Alternatively we tell our kid "You are our guy" and you get $10k from NAB as a result. Its a nice gesture particularly if you are taking an interstate kid with that pick.

Seriously, $10k? This will be a footballer who will play 10 years earning north of $600k each year on average.

I'd rather our boy didn't have the pick 1 BS and less pressure.

Yep, give him a gig promoting Noel's Caravans if the money is so important.

You have no idea what sort of pressure a pick 1 in Adelaide would have.

You support one of the poor, little clubs that operate off broadway, very different kind of spot light, no offence.
I think that's actually their point. Because of the "fishbowl" and spotlight which they'll find on them in Adelaide, whether our choice is pick 1 or pick 2 they will still be under significant pressure to perform given they're the clubs highest ever draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back