Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

In regards to Macrae - that's my feel on him too.

If I'm a recruiter and I pass on him, I know I'm passing on a guy that is almost certainly going to be an AFL starting calibre midfielder at worst (such is his pedigree), but midfield balance is key at the end of the day. You can really only afford to have one, max two of those guys in your midfield (look at Melbourne in recent years as an example of a team with starting calibre midfielders who don't arguably don't complement each other and don't balance out well). Macrae and Matt Crouch sharing the same midfield raises an eyebrow to say the least when you think about defensive pressure in open space and athleticism.

I feel like Powell offers something different enough though. Putting his non athletic traits aside, he's got decent speed, agility, and actually has an above average vertical leap. He offers a pretty decent balance of production, potential and athleticism as a prospect, and he's South Australian.

There obviously seems to be a lot of these hybrid 188cm ish type athletic fwd/mid players available in this draft too, which might make sense at 9.

This is all purely hypothetical at this point (because it depends what we do at the draft), but going forward, I like the look of a midfield base composed of Laird, M Crouch, Powell, Poulter (I previously thought we wouldn't get him at 22 or 23, but it's looking like a possibility now based on what I've seen lately), Schoenberg, a rotating hybrid like a Brodie Smith who gives you speed and kick penetration, and then one more dynamic/speedy player (which we could find in future drafts or trade). There's enough balance and points of difference there to work with, and can add or interchange around those players too as time goes on. Sloaney doesn't have much time left I'd imagine due to age.

*EDIT - forgot about Hately, add him in there too.
You also forgot Ronin O'Connor who is the "sleeper" in our midfield group make no mistake, versatile (played excellent footy at half back), sub 3.00sec 20m so obviously not lacking acceleration from the contest, 191cm so our tallest midfielder, 85kg last season but looking at a pic of him this week looks to have muscled up considerably since then....only area of his game that needed work when we recruited him was his outside game.

Last edited:
He's also got Hollands at 5/6 which would spin a few heads here. Perhaps that's why we are interested in that selection ourselves.
You don’t think he’s in the top 4 selections Hamish is talking about? I thought when Matt Turner asked his question about that Hamish subtly gave away that he was correct in that JUH, RT, McDonald and Hollands were the top 4.

You don’t think he’s in the top 4 selections Hamish is talking about? I thought when Matt Turner asked his question about that Hamish subtly gave away that he was correct in that JUH, RT, McDonald and Hollands were the top 4.
Yeah I think he is in our discussions.

I’m swinging back to Thilthorpe. Think people are over thinking it. He’s a beast of a human and I have more confidence that his football will translate to great AFL football.

McDonald I can see not bringing his WAFL form to AFL. His strengths don’t match up as well on AFL defenders as I expect Thilthorpe’s do. Even JUH, just have a suspicion with him that in the big time he’ll be more easily negated than Thilthorpe.
Jamarra won't be easily negated believe me and I've seen a fair bit more of him than most on this board...he has blinding speed on the lead, agility off the charts and an unmatched standing/running vertical most Forwards can only dream about. He'll be unstoppable once he puts on the required size. His one weakness is his kicking, inconsistent in field play and in front of goal and IMO still lacks a bit in penetration. There is a reason he's widely considered to be the Ace in this pack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet Rendell who I'd be sure would have interviewed Phillips almost for certain while at Collingwood seems to think he's the biggest risk to head home of the lot?
Yeah I’m not factoring any go home with any of them just talent based . I obvs don’t know their Go home factor having not interviewed them

One who underachieved so far in his career?
Who had a horrifically broken leg after winning a Brownlow ???

**** me mate, you just can't give it up can you

I’m swinging back to Thilthorpe. Think people are over thinking it. He’s a beast of a human and I have more confidence that his football will translate to great AFL football.

McDonald I can see not bringing his WAFL form to AFL. His strengths don’t match up as well on AFL defenders as I expect Thilthorpe’s do. Even JUH, just have a suspicion with him that in the big time he’ll be more easily negated than Thilthorpe.
Are you thinking that Hamish & co. only draft for 2021 season? Thilthorpe has developed physically earlier than average- McDonald has a lot more physical growth to come. Don't forget - they recruit on current footy ability plus potential, & they know their stuff, even though they can't/don't get it right with every draftee.

Stop reading the press kristof.
Watch vision of the boys and form your own opinion.
People get too heavily influenced by mainstream media.
Unlike you Faith, I've actually been watching them all year.

But then I don't come on here and pretend like I've got some insider access through my pretend sources ...

That 'rumour' was generated on this thread, from our own imaginations. I highly doubt it happens
No, it's come up wider than here. There's been discussion about GCS taking a key defender in multiple articles (Balmer mentions it in his mock today), as well as discussion about their interest in next year.

I doubt it happens too, but no one here invented it.

Jamarra won't be easily negated believe me and I've seen a fair bit more of him than most on this board...he has blinding speed on the lead, agility off the charts and an unmatched standing/running vertical most Forwards can only dream about. He'll be unstoppable once he puts on the required size. His one weakness is his kicking, inconsistent in field play and in front of goal and IMO still lacks a bit in penetration. There is a reason he's widely considered to be the Ace in this pack.
How do you see that playing out in an AFL environment where team defense strangles space and opportunity? If his weakness is kicking he could easily be one of the most frustrating guys going around.

One who underachieved so far in his career?
Haha ah what? Averages 30 disposal for his career, AA and best and fairest in a team that makes the GF, 37 touches in the GF, usually high up in the best and fairest. Yeah, how terrible to have a career like that before turning 25, might as well just not nominate for the draft if that’s all Powell will turn out to be!

Yet Rendell who I'd be sure would have interviewed Phillips almost for certain while at Collingwood seems to think he's the biggest risk to head home of the lot?
Not sure we should rely too much on Rendell's observations.

Phillips went out of his way to say how impressive Nicks was when he was interviewed.

You also forgot Ronin O'Connor who is the "sleeper" in our midfield group make no mistake, versatile (played excellent footy at half back), sub 3.00sec 20m so obviously not lacking acceleration from the contest, 191cm so our tallest midfielder, 85kg last season but looking at a pic of him this week looks to have muscled up considerably since then....only area of his game that needed work when we recruited him was his outside game.
That, and he didn't seem to actually get that much of the ball.

Are you thinking that Hamish & co. only draft for 2021 season? Thilthorpe has developed physically earlier than average- McDonald has a lot more physical growth to come. Don't forget - they recruit on current footy ability plus potential, & they know their stuff, even though they can't/don't get it right with every draftee.
No I don’t think that. Thanks.

I don't buy that.
Clearly he acknowledged that the two people Turner write about were two of the top four, because Hamish made a joke about it, and Turner joining their analytics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back