List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree re going for a key forward (good defenders can be found anywhere in the draft). But if a Hollands or a Phillips was somehow still available at our pick, would you really turn them down?
Blakey & McCartin look to be a great forward combo for the future but agree we do need another good key defender. Would also take a ruck with our first pick if they're good enough

Blakey & McCartin look to be a great forward combo for the future but agree we do need another good key defender. Would also take a ruck with our first pick if they're good enough

Cannot agree re the ruck. Trade for them or draft late

Key defenders and rucks can be found anywhere in the draft though. IMO if we had a pick before Campbell and it was in the top five or thereabouts, find a key forward* with the best skills, be it contested marking or an elite kick. Thilthorpe I really like the look of but beyond him I don't see a tonne of options.

*unless one of the gun midfielder kids like Will Philips or Elijah Hollands are available.

Key defenders and rucks can be found anywhere in the draft though. IMO if we had a pick before Campbell and it was in the top five or thereabouts, find a key forward* with the best skills, be it contested marking or an elite kick. Thilthorpe I really like the look of but beyond him I don't see a tonne of options.

*unless one of the gun midfielder kids like Will Philips or Elijah Hollands are available.
Key defenders and rucks can't be found anywhere in the draft. Otherwise no team would have a shortage of them. You can find start defenders, rucks & midfielders anywhere in the draft but if there's a talent you take him regardless of his playing position

Disagree on 'you can find rucks/kpd anywhere' can legitimately say that about any position bar maybe KPF and there are some outlier like Ben Brown.

Hollands I am keen on, has done an ACL but was probably most rounded midfielder there. Phillips is a great workman like mid. Very very good at what he does.

We have Campbell who is very damage with ball and Gulden, no idea where he ends up, maybe play a robbie Gray type role fwd/mid (not stating he will be anything like robbie Gray just time split)

Thilthorpe I definitely want and would be best available around our pick if stayed the same as 2019 order. KPF and can pinch hit in ruck. Reid as a KPD. Also have Baldwin and maybe McDonald in that range.

Wouldn't mind DGB but have AA in what is his natural role.

True, wouldn't mind another KPF however. Blakey looks like he plays more naturally like a late career Richo

Key defenders and rucks can't be found anywhere in the draft. Otherwise no team would have a shortage of them. You can find start defenders, rucks & midfielders anywhere in the draft but if there's a talent you take him regardless of his playing position

I agree that you take the best player regardless of his position... that was kind of... my original point? But it's less about position, and more the type of player, the attributes they possess and whether those attributes will actually make for the best player. And the best player available with a top ten pick, from virtually an entire draft crop to choose from, is very rarely going to be a ruckman or a key defender IMO.

There are qualities that are very common. Tough players, athletic players, tall players, small players, fast players, strong players. They occupy a massive portion of the AFL. The other small percentage is occupied by the players with an elite and consistent skill level, which is rare and elusive these days. Can't think of too current players who fit that bill: Buddy, GAJ, Martin, Pendlebury, Bontempelli, J. Kelly, Prestia, Macrae, Coniglio, Gaff and Selwood, and that's about where I'd draw the line.

I believe that skill/ball use is the single most important attribute a player can have, and the team with the best skills almost always wins the flag. And so if teams are drafting for premierships, then the draft should reflect that.

Why use a top five/ten pick, that should be used to try and land a player who could end up in that elite percentage, on someone like a ruck or a key defender who doesn't possess elite skills, but rather skills that are more commonly found, and therefore more appropriate to use a later pick on?

Why do you think of those eleven names I listed above, ten of them were top 10 picks, seven of them were top 5 picks, and nine of them, with the exception of the injured Coniglio and the suspended Gaff, have played in grand finals?

Worth remembering that Daniher will probably come too....though his injury history leaves serious ????

Why would you want Daniher? We were approached and attempted to be ‘sold’ on his fitness when he clearly wasn’t fit or recovered. Sorry I wouldn’t touch him until we know with certainty he can perform. At present he is a massive risk not worth more than low grade contract

Why would you want Daniher? We were approached and attempted to be ‘sold’ on his fitness when he clearly wasn’t fit or recovered. Sorry I wouldn’t touch him until we know with certainty he can perform. At present he is a massive risk not worth more than low grade contract
The trade and draft period this year is a complete unknown.. list sizes, salary cap, no u18 comp, etc etc
We might see Daniher play towards the end of the year and have a good idea of his fitness. We also might back McCartin, McLean, Armatey, Blakey to fill the tall forward roles, We saw in round 1 v Adelaide that our game plan might be different in the future and our forward set up may not necessarily need to rely on a gun tall, rather rely on forward pressure & quality delivery inside 50 & a highly skilled, highly mobile shorter forward line.

I don't see Daniher as a 'marquee' player, I reckon there are plenty of crowd favourites - Heeney, Blakey, Paps, Rampe etc. I also don't see Daniher as an essential trade to help us win. No doubting he can be a fantastic player but at what cost.
A Daniher trade will only happen if the price is right in regards to
draft picks - the Bombers may still request a trade if they match our offer.
salary cap - will we need to let go a current or future gun player?

Theres so much unknown in this Daniher trade,, Ill back the Swans to make the correct call

Cause Franklin is almost done mate, if we get Daniher it will only be salary cap space Dodo wont match we already called their bluff once.

He is only 26 and wants to come to the club and is a elite talent offer him 5 years.

If we can get Daniher as a free agent we'd be fools not to. In saying that his constant injuries look like his career is done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cause Franklin is almost done mate, if we get Daniher it will only be salary cap space Dodo wont match we already called their bluff once.

He is only 26 and wants to come to the club and is a elite talent offer him 5 years.

Hard pass in Daniher. 26 with three years without sustained football. His price would have to be low as possible to consider. Current high risk, maybe high reward proposition. Family history of OP ending careers too.

If we can get Daniher as a free agent we'd be fools not to. In saying that his constant injuries look like his career is done

We would be fools to get him currently. Price have to be 600k over 4 year heavily back loaded to even consider and dons would match for a trade.

That is absolute madness.

No effing way should a club be offering a five year deal to a bloke whose played SFA games in 3 years.

Don’t think Franklin is close to finished by any stretch of imagination. As for Daniher being a viable solution after suffering recurring OP and being unable to get on the park in over 2 years that’s just flawed thinking IMO

Definitely need a replacement for Rampe or someone that is elite in that area
From what I've seen of Gould he's got the potential to be the next Rampe, so I think we're fine in that area.

Probably do want another tall though.

Wtf has that got to do with anything Hahahaha

So your saying who ever is taller than 188cm can play on the best KF

I bet mills will never play consistently on KF like Rampe has amd does with the same result

He already was at times last year and by the same age Rampe wasn't on an AFL list yet. I don't understand why that prospect would be so difficult to believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back