Strategy 2020 Fixture News, Requests and Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Bug bears...

Richmond 6 day break, round 2. Give me a spell.

2 home games at Marvel. We all agree upon that one.

We have never, in 10 full seasons, played Gold Coast twice in a season.

Sydney gifted a home game against us again in prime time. Another win for us. Also no NRL that weekend, fkd if I know why the leagues dont work together. Pies playing Thursday, put Storm on in Sydney on the Friday. Dickheads.

No Adelaide. Serious?!

All Thursday night interstate games suck.

We play Adelaide the week after Sydney away. The Crows have the bye the week before. How *ing hard is it to have teams play other teams that had the bye?!

Personal bug bear. No June/July interstate trip during holidays. May have to use long service leave.

Why, Why, Why do we always have to play our Marvel home games V tenant clubs? A massive bug bear of mine! Don’t mind having to play home games there but should be against a non tenant team.

The St Kilda and North home games should be at the G. Any of our MCG home games v interstate teams could easily be played at Marvel instead. Port Rnd 5 and Suns in Rnd 23 perfect candidates for smaller crowds at Marvel. Even Crows or Lions games could be played there too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t know what it is, but the draw looks like we never have a run of “should wins” (based on this years form)
So I’d say a harder draw, Obviously this could change.
This year we had Port Carlton Saints Sydney Freo, which were all “should wins” that’s a great run of lower tier teams, albeit we didn’t take full advantage.
Again, this isn’t a bad thing, keeps the team hardened and on their toes, might end up being a great thing.
Just an observation.

I don’t know what it is, but the draw looks like we never have a run of “should wins” (based on this years form)
So I’d say a harder draw, Obviously this could change.
This year we had Port Carlton Saints Sydney Freo, which were all “should wins” that’s a great run of lower tier teams, albeit we didn’t take full advantage.
Again, this isn’t a bad thing, keeps the team hardened and on their toes, might end up being a great thing.
Just an observation.
But we play every club once every year, the only difference is marginal in who we play twice

Fixtures have a big say on how far you go.

If we're good enough then we will win is not the case so much anymore. When you constantly have to recovery from playing against quality opposition it takes a toll on your body come finals time.

Two years ago we made the GF off the easiest ranked draw. Up until we beat GWS in the semi, everyone was saying we played no one. Then there is this year, comfortably a better side than last season, we looked flat towards the end of the season and don't end up making the GF. Richmond had the 10th hardest ranked draw from memory.

There is no doubt in my mind that we have a much harder draw than last season. Dogs and Saints are on the improve- both home games played on their ground, NM at Etihad again (how long has it been since we have won against them their), Melbourne will be better than what they were two years ago - we play them twice, two trips to Perth, trip to the Gabba against an improved Brisbane and with both Adelaide teams failing to make the 8 .... of course! We don't travel there even once.

Hoping for 14 wins. That's the pass mark for me. I would be surprised with 15 or + wins.

Why, Why, Why do we always have to play our Marvel home games V tenant clubs? A massive bug bear of mine! Don’t mind having to play home games there but should be against a non tenant team.

The St Kilda and North home games should be at the G. Any of our MCG home games v interstate teams could easily be played at Marvel instead. Port Rnd 5 and Suns in Rnd 23 perfect candidates for smaller crowds at Marvel. Even Crows or Lions games could be played there too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Because our President doesn’t lobby against it.

Because our President doesn’t lobby against it.
It's the Presidents fault, even when it wasn't the Presidents fault, I knew it was the Presidents fault.

Fixtures have a big say on how far you go.

If we're good enough then we will win is not the case so much anymore. When you constantly have to recovery from playing against quality opposition it takes a toll on your body come finals time.

Two years ago we made the GF off the easiest ranked draw. Up until we beat GWS in the semi, everyone was saying we played no one. Then there is this year, comfortably a better side than last season, we looked flat towards the end of the season and don't end up making the GF. Richmond had the 10th hardest ranked draw from memory.

There is no doubt in my mind that we have a much harder draw than last season. Dogs and Saints are on the improve- both home games played on their ground, NM at Etihad again (how long has it been since we have won against them their), Melbourne will be better than what they were two years ago - we play them twice, two trips to Perth, trip to the Gabba against an improved Brisbane and with both Adelaide teams failing to make the 8 .... of course! We don't travel there even once.

Hoping for 14 wins. That's the pass mark for me. I would be surprised with 15 or + wins.

I think it's a false premise that playing a team higher on the ladder means your body needs longer to recover. Some teams like Brisbane play a free flowing game with lots of goals (time to recover) and relatively bruise free, while others like North and GWS play a very physical bash and crash style that often leaves players banged up and carrying minor injuries the week after.

We got beat up and physically intimidated against GWS, that's why we looked flat.

Games vs Gold Coast (including 2020)

Total games played:

20 - Brisbane​
15 - Melbourne​
14 - Adelaide, GWS, St Kilda​
13 - Carlton, Hawthorn, North, Port​
12 - Geelong, Fremantle, Sydney, WB, WC​
11 - Essendon​
10 - Collingwood, 9th mond​

% played at home*:

75.0% - WB​
69.2% - Hawthorn​
66.7% - WC​
60.0% - Melbourne​
57.1% - GWS​
50.0% - Brisbane, Geelong, 9th mond, Sydney​
45.5% - Essendon​
42.8% - Adelaide​
41.6% - Fremantle​
40.0% - Collingwood​
38.5% - Carlton, North, Port​
35.7% - St Kilda​
* includes any games that were sold

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe this is contractual, Marvel Stadium have to hold a certain number of games between Victorian clubs. Likewise interstate clubs lobby to play at the MCG for finals experience.

Draw is ok. We have to beat the good sides to make top 4 anyway, so bring it on. Could easily win 1 out of 2 v WC and Bris and should handle Bombers ok. Don’t mind losing to Tigers twice as long as we get a crack at them in a final.

Bug bears...

Richmond 6 day break, round 2. Give me a spell.

2 home games at Marvel. We all agree upon that one.

Sydney gifted a home game against us again in prime time. Another win for us. Also no NRL that weekend, fkd if I know why the leagues dont work together. Pies playing Thursday, put Storm on in Sydney on the Friday. Dickheads.

No Adelaide. Serious?!

All Thursday night interstate games suck.

We play Adelaide the week after Sydney away. The Crows have the bye the week before. How f*n hard is it to have teams play other teams that had the bye?!

Personal bug bear. No June/July interstate trip during holidays. May have to use long service leave.

Early May

Rooster v Storm @ SCG on Fri night
Giants v Pies @ Giants Stadium on Sat night

And if you want to make a long weekend of it

Swans v Pies on Thurs night
NSW v QLD in Sydney on Sunday

There is a serious case to tank for two years!

Get some good picks & trading power thens soft draw the help you through the same period!

The AFL has the most embarrassing body of leaders in the sporting world

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You mean like the dogs and Melbourne? Granted Melbourne only one year but my point is made.

Pretty standard Collingwood fixture with double ups against 3 top 6 teams to be expected. The only gripe I have is the two Marvel home games against tenants.

I’m getting a serious vibe that this is to act as a piece offering to Geelong for not getting us, and finals, at Skilled. If given the option of 10 MCG home games and 1 at Marvel plus a trip down the highway would that be preferable? I’d personally take it.

We could play West Coast in Perth every second week, and Richmond every other week and flog opposition supporters would still say we have an easy draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back