List Mgmt. 2020 List Management II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other thing is that Kelly and Treloar who have smaller frames are exceptional endurance runners.

Fisher wouldn't be able to keep up with them for 4 quarters.
But he played there as a Junior vs. 17 and 18 yr olds who weren't fully grown, so he must be able to translate that to AFL, surely!!! :rolleyes:

With Papley gone do you actually think we have the answer with our #25 as a small-fwd for a 2021 finals side?

Do we actually think Zac Fisher as a small fwd will get 35+ goals a season?

Butler has kicked the most of any small so far this year with 26 (1.6 per game). 1.6 across 22 games is 25. Obviously shorter quarters play into that, but 35 is still decent.

Last year the smalls top goal scores were:
  1. Cameron 57 in 24 (2.4 per game)
  2. Walters 40 in 22 (1.8)
  3. Sexton 39 in 22 (1.8)
  4. Lloyd 38 in 23 (1.7)
  5. Papley 37 in 22 (1.7)
  6. Betts 37 in 21 (1.8)
  7. Ablett 34 in 24 (1.4)
  8. Breust 34 in 22 (1.5)
  9. McDonald-Tipungwuti 32 in 23 (1.4)
  10. Ryan 30 in 24 (1.3)
I'm not counting the bigger types here like Martin, De Goey, Stringer, etc (who would come in towards the bottom of that list anyway). Probably debatable on Lloyd, he's a bit more of a lead up player, but not a 'power' type like DM, JDG & JS.

35+ is top tier small forward. Even then, I'm sure most love Liam Ryan but he could only manage the 30 in 24 games. Cameron was a bit of an outlier with 17 more than 2nd place. Brisbane really focused on him and when they had bid days he'd get out the back multiple times, I think they're trying to correct the balance of forward targets so it's not simply 'stop Charlie, stop Brisbane'.

What would you rather; Fish get 35 himself 'selfishly' or just the 20 but double the goal assists? It's not just his own output, it's how the team performs together as a unit.

I'm pretty comfortable in saying that this is about the season i had hoped for, at the end of last season. Somewhere between 8-12th, with a more attacking brand, and hope that the future looked brighter.

Quote me if I'm wrong.....but i actually can't imagine the team not continuing to improve. (Yeah, i know Mick Malthouse made a similar comment about not losing all year.....)

Any retirements are being offset by the improvement of those who will replace them - eg Krueze makes way for DeKoning, Simmo for Williams/Willo/Newman. If Murphy was to go, there are a number of young midfielders who would benefit from the game time and opportunity (while maintaining genuine selection pressure among themselves). Eddy's position would be harder to replace with the current personnel but i guess if we didn't trade for the position, we have a number of agile players who could be groomed for the role, with absolute pressure the metric that determines their place in the team.

The return of Curnow from injury, assuming he returns and plays the full year, immediately makes a massive difference. But history tells us that if Curnow is fit and ready to go, someone else will succumb to injury and we'll have to work around that. Providing its not Mckay, Cripps, or Weitering, i think we have the depth to cover the rest in some fashion.

There is still young talent on our list, and while some won't work out, that is the case every draft and i'm more interested on those who do work out. I still believe that some players who base their game on gut running will have looked much worse this year, and will jump to another level next year, assuming the game duration returns to normal.

I'm not unquestionably positive. There are things i continue to query, but i'll keep this one upbeat. My initial reaction was disdain at another failed year, but i took myself back to the end of last year and reminded myself of what i had hoped for, and this year was pretty much it.

I expect us to play finals next year though and if we don't make it, i'd be taking a really close look at how teams who didn't bottom out like us, have been able to maintain a higher position than us, or complete a rebuild faster and better. Is it recruiting, list management, player development, something else, or a little of each.

Time will tell, but for now i'm feeling pretty positive about it all.

GO BLUES

Last year he desperately wanted to join the Blues. This year he apparently decided not to. Why? Debate the issue, but give the personal stuff a miss

How many times do I need to say it?

a) Carlton weren't an attractive enough proposition.
b) Carlton weren't prepared to pay what Sydney asked.
c) Sydney outright refused to trade him or set a deliberately unrealistic price.
d) Papley decided he wanted to stay in Sydney regardless of external offers.

Any of those are possibilities. And given that he's rebuffed not just us, but also Melbourne, Essendon and any number of other clubs who may have kept their interest out of the papers, if anything it's more likely to be C or D.

And in the event that it was A - I'd still suggest that's not on the recruiters, but on the team and the coaches for showing an incredible aptitude for taking the field in a less than competitive frame of mind.

Stephenson is out of favour at Collingwood & could be on the trade table. Could we be interested in him as our small forward?
He has the speed and is a good kick for goal, but goes missing for long periods in matches or my liking. Also a bit timid with his attack on the ball.
But has a reasonable strike rate when kicking for goal...

Stephenson is out of favour at Collingwood & could be on the trade table. Could we be interested in him as our small forward?
He has the speed and is a good kick for goal, but goes missing for long periods in matches or my liking. Also a bit timid with his attack on the ball.

Give them casboult

You don't need to wonder, I can tell you.

Fisher is 177cm and 75kg

Neale = 177cm/85kg
Treloar = 181cm/81kg
Kelly = 183cm/77kg
Adams = 180cm/86kg
Coniglio = 182cm/87kg

In what world is Fisher built, or will ever be built like these blokes?? Thanks for proving my point further. He's going to have to make it as a small forward.

Before you bleat that he is similar weight to Josh Kelly - he is an elite runner, from what I can see, Fisher is a burst player.

The idea of "cause he small" therefore he can't play midfield is pretty one-sided view.

It should be, if you can play midfield than you can play midfield. You don't have to be superstar to play midfield as long as your effective in your role.

Dion Prestia 175cm/82kg
Matt Crouch 182cm/80kg
Zak Butters 181cm/71kg
Dayne Zorko 175cm/78kg

My belief is that Fisher should be more 70% mid/ 30% fwd

Exhibit A - Tackles Dustin Martin.

Exhibit B
giphy.gif

Exhibit C
giphy.gif

Maybe, but I don't think he's what we need if CCurnow is deemed good to go.

He's a quality player but maybe not the right one for what this group needs. We know what we need.....just do it.

Assuming there's nothing sinister bubbling away behind the scenes as to why he's "out of favour", then we should absolutely be into him.

Was Pick 6 a few years back, and has shown plenty on the field, so he wouldn't be cheap.

I'd offer up our first rounder and try to get Stephenson and a second rounder back. Collingwood don't have their second this year, but do have Richmond's. Would probably try for their future second instead given that's the case.

Swans kids are overrated in my opinion. Hayward and Florent are very average but get talked up because they’re young. Blakey is a whipping boy. Heeney is good but is no saviour (he’s also in his prime). Their midfield is very weak besides those two experienced players. Also have the worst rucks in the league with GWS. Rampe also holds their backline together.

Sydney would be up there when it comes to best youth in the competition, even if you take out Heeney who is 24.

Florent
Blakey
Hayward
Rowbottom
Dawson
McCartin
McInerney
Stephens
Wicks

There are gaps for sure, but they have plenty to work with. And they're certainly well ahead of North IMO.

Absolutely yes, but he's not a small forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many times do I need to say it?

a) Carlton weren't an attractive enough proposition.
b) Carlton weren't prepared to pay what Sydney asked.
c) Sydney outright refused to trade him or set a deliberately unrealistic price.
d) Papley decided he wanted to stay in Sydney regardless of external offers.

Any of those are possibilities. And given that he's rebuffed not just us, but also Melbourne, Essendon and any number of other clubs who may have kept their interest out of the papers, if anything it's more likely to be C or D.

And in the event that it was A - I'd still suggest that's not on the recruiters, but on the team and the coaches for showing an incredible aptitude for taking the field in a less than competitive frame of mind.
Do you think I haven't construed your posts? Give the "how many times do I need to say it bullshit" a rest.

As for your contribution, Thanks, I guess time will tell, and just as the explanation you've put forward might be a reasonable possibility, so might the notion that he simply wasn't as enthused by those from CFC doing the selling.

Only played one decent game this year And that was against us when a Plowman played on him.

I’ll leave that there.

The idea of "cause he small" therefore he can't play midfield is pretty one-sided view.

It should be, if you can play midfield than you can play midfield. You don't have to be superstar to play midfield as long as your effective in your role.

Dion Prestia 175cm/82kg
Matt Crouch 182cm/80kg
Zak Butters 181cm/71kg
Dayne Zorko 175cm/78kg

My belief is that Fisher should be more 70% mid/ 30% fwd

Exhibit A - Tackles Dustin Martin.

Exhibit B
giphy.gif

Exhibit C
giphy.gif

Those gifs are all good and well but how many times a game did he do that when he has played midfield? Once if he's lucky.

Prestia is nicknamed meatball for a reason, he's a pure inside midfielder with no similarities in build to Fisher.
Butters plays on a wing
Crouch is an outside player who has the ability to accumulate
Zorko is probably the only one slightly similar to him.

I haven't got a problem with him on the wing out in space or as a high forward. But around the contest he would just get belted around too often; sure he might slip out of a tackle once or twice like exhibit B - but that doesn't happen as often as we carry on like it does.

He is an impact player with elite leg speed and is extremely clean. If he were an elite runner or high possession player I could see him as a full-time mid, but he's not.

We also ignore how clever he is around goals, rarely misses and gives opponents a headache with his left foot. I love him anywhere in the forward half of the ground.

Agree to disagree on this one. Reckon Fish makes it as a forward.

Do you think I haven't construed your posts? Give the "how many times do I need to say it bullshit" a rest.

As for your contribution, Thanks, I guess time will tell, and just as the explanation you've put forward might be a reasonable possibility, so might the notion that he simply wasn't as enthused by those from CFC doing the selling.

The "how many times do I need to say it bullshit"?

Opine, it's the third time I've posted it and you've continually ignored it in favour of trying to needle me about being offended by you.

You've seemingly leapt straight to our recruiters failing, and if not because you've already decided they're not good at their jobs then I don't know what could lead you to that assumption.

Especially given it is clear that Papley has turned down multiple clubs to stay in Sydney, which wouldn't suggest incompetence from our end but inevitability from his. I mean...the season is still running and we're in a condensed fixture block, how much time do you reckon Papley has had to sit down with our recruiting staff for a chat about what we can offer?

The more you think about it, the more likely it is that Sydney have simply convinced him to stay.

Those gifs are all good and well but how many times a game did he do that when he has played midfield? Once if he's lucky.

Prestia is nicknamed meatball for a reason, he's a pure inside midfielder with no similarities in build to Fisher.
Butters plays on a wing
Crouch is an outside player who has the ability to accumulate
Zorko is probably the only one slightly similar to him.

I haven't got a problem with him on the wing out in space or as a high forward. But around the contest he would just get belted around too often; sure he might slip out of a tackle once or twice like exhibit B - but that doesn't happen as often as we carry on like it does.

He is an impact player with elite leg speed and is extremely clean. If he were an elite runner or high possession player I could see him as a full-time mid, but he's not.

We also ignore how clever he is around goals, rarely misses and gives opponents a headache with his left foot. I love him anywhere in the forward half of the ground.

Agree to disagree on this one. Reckon Fish makes it as a forward.

It is fine to disagree with the my assessment and acknowledge that points above, just prefer he plays more predominately mid because he is a natural mid. Just going to dissect your point of view.

ignoring 2020 as he is playing full time forward so I am not sure how to assess his midfield craft and shorten game time means stats overall should be down for each player.

2017 - Averaged 11.6 touches per game (playing forward in his debut year pretty standard for a new debutant)
2018 - Averaged 19.2 playing midfield under Bolton.
2019 - Averaged 22.3 playing midfield under Bolton in 8 games. Then it was just giant mess afterwards with us getting belted in the giants game and few weeks of rabble performance from the team and role change when Teague took over.

In 2019 first 8 games.
Disposal average - 22.3
Goals - 4 = 0.5
Behinds - 5 = 0.63
Tackles - 3.4

Looking at those stats he was trending into a good midfielder/accumulator/goal kicking mid in his 3rd year.

Class of 2016 - 3rd year players
Tim Taranto
D - 27.7
G - 0.3
B - 0.6
T - 6.1

Hugh McCluggage
D - 22.6
G - 1
B - 0.6
T - 3.7

Andy McGrath - Was playing Half-Back before his move to midfield this year

SPP
D - 18.8
G - 0.5
B - 0.9
T - 4.9

Jarrod Berry
D - 19.6
G - 0.4
B - 0.5
T - 3.8

But that is just my assessment.

Does (gws) kelly complete his 2 yr agreement this year?

next year. He will be RFA if he doesnt extend his deal.
We could try convince GWS to give us Kelly this year with 2x1st rd picks instead of risking Free agency next year where they wont be able to match.

In turn they will most likely have the cash to sign Williams.

Assuming there's nothing sinister bubbling away behind the scenes as to why he's "out of favour", then we should absolutely be into him.

Was Pick 6 a few years back, and has shown plenty on the field, so he wouldn't be cheap.

I'd offer up our first rounder and try to get Stephenson and a second rounder back. Collingwood don't have their second this year, but do have Richmond's. Would probably try for their future second instead given that's the case.

Clearly not the smartest bloke with his betting scandal and maybe not a 'good bloke'.

From what i've read on Collingwood's board though, essentially he's out of favour because he's not the most professional guy or hardest trainer going around, he goes missing a lot throughout games and doesn't have a big appetite for the defensive stuff...as in he's only really interested in kicking goals.

He's obviously super talented, but seems like the kind of player who coasts on their talent. Not sure i'd be that keen to bring him in.

With papley out of the picture we can turn out focus to other targets AND (possibly more importantly) don't have a situation like last year where due to waiting for the papley deal we are unable to move forward with other deals.

It's not all bad right....

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wonder if we'd have a crack at a few guys who have been squeezed out like Sexton, Higgins types...unlikely they leave but you never know.

I'm personally not interested in Lonie, he shows flashes but I think over a long period of time he's shown he's not really up to it and certainly not a 'no.1' small forward or game changer.

Clearly not the smartest bloke with his betting scandal and maybe not a 'good bloke'.

From what i've read on Collingwood's board though, essentially he's out of favour because he's not the most professional guy or hardest trainer going around, he goes missing a lot throughout games and doesn't have a big appetite for the defensive stuff...as in he's only really interested in kicking goals.

He's obviously super talented, but seems like the kind of player who coasts on their talent. Not sure i'd be that keen to bring him in.
The kid is an absolute freakish talent so if Collingwood are willing to move him on I’d be extremely concerned about his professionalism/attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back