List Mgmt. 2020 List Management

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not sure that he did actually say that, also the big difference is that Kelly needs the additional family support for his wife raising their autistic kids. If that wasn't the case then I don't think Kelly would have left Geelong.

its quite possible kelly didnt want to live in geelong also

which is fair enough

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
With the drafts done and dusted and the list set it's now time to start the focus on the 2020 season.

View attachment 787040

Firstly I've created a depth chart of the list showing the depth we have in each area. IMO the list is as close to a perfect balance as you could get for a premiership contender. We have a high quality top level of talent and then a real even spread of developing talent below them. IMO 2020 will be when we start to see a bit of a transition from relying on the likes of Cotchin Martin Edwards in the midfield to seeing the likes of Graham Ross & hopefully RCD becoming more than second string rotations. I'm also wanting to see the likes of Naish & Turner start to push their claims for the wing spot vacated by the departure of Brandon Ellis. Finally I want to see the likes of Balta Garthwaite Miller Chol & CCJ starting to put their claims forward as the replacements for Riewoldt Astbury & Rance who are much closer to the ends of the careers than the start.

Re-Signing Priorities
As it stands we have the following 15 players coming out of contract in 2020: Houli Miller(?) DES(r) Turner Graham Aarts(r) Short Caddy English Pickett(r) Broad Markov RCD Garthwaite Nankervis

I have them in the following order:
Pickett(r)
Graham
Caddy
Broad
Nankervis
Short
RCD
Garthwaite
DES(r)
Turner
English
Houli
Miller
Aarts(r)
Markov

Houli may surprise some being that low, but like this year I think we'll wait until late in the year to lock him away on another 1 year contract if he wants to continue on. I think the 6 premiership players are the important signings in particular Pickett as if he starts the season in good form the WA clubs, mainly Fremantle, may start getting in his ear about a move back home for a senior list spot. I think we can all agree that Markov is probably the most likely delisting at this stage with the likes of Miller & English also chances of being delisted then rookie listed as we shuffle the list around to accommodate the upgrading of Stack Baker Chol & Pickett next year.

Further to that I believe that McIntosh may well look at moving if he sits in the VFL for most of the year as Fremantle had interest in him this trade period and the whispers about CCJ not being happy about not playing games may see the SA sides come calling as well, with Adelaide having a couple of first round picks to throw around being the danger.

Draft Picks
As it stands we have R1 pick, Saints R2 pick, R3 pick, R4 pick & R5 pick, with Baxter & Rioli Jnr as NGA & F/S picks tied to us. Neither have been mentioned as being highly rated that would require us to use early picks on them and we could be fortunate and get them sliding through to late in the draft or even the rookie draft.

2020 is going to be a fascinating season list management wise as it appears that we may well have to move on a few players we'd ideally like to retain as we try and prioritise who stays on long term.

Baxter & Rioli Jnr as NGA & F/S picks in 2020 are tracking as really late picks ATM probably rookie spots
I there say we'll keep our round1 and Saints R2 pick, everything else is on a needs basis
Anyone thinking we'll have retirements any time soon (next 2-3 years) have got to be kidding
As long as were in the premiership window (next 2-3 years) R8, Sheds, Houli will play on, crazy not to as these times are once in a life time
R8, Sheds, Houli will retire as Grigg did, if they sustain a serious long term injury
I believe Rance , astbury and Cotchin will go around many seasons to come, as when you retire you're a long time retired
Crazy times when we at Bigfooty, have to really think who won't be on our list in 2020-2021, when pre-2016 we could pick 5+ each year :)

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
Baxter & Rioli Jnr as NGA & F/S picks in 2020 are tracking as really late picks ATM probably rookie spots
I there say we'll keep our round1 and Saints R2 pick, everything else is on a needs basis

Rioli Jnr will cost more than a rookie spot, probably a lot more. The name alone causes uncontrolled salivation in the football world. Since every pick beyond a certain point is a lottery, who wouldn’t gamble on a Rioli? Personally I will be very, very happy if all we have pay is a pick in the 40s.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Players i see that are in the danger zone

Markov
Miller
Aarts (rookie)
English

Possibly leaving through trades
McIntosh
Garthwaite

Good list, will be close to the above
We now know we can play 1 key defender short (Rance) and still be the best defence in the comp and win the flag
If any of us would have said we could win the GF and keep the oppo to 3.7, we didn't say it but it's true now
So yeah forgot about Garth, could be delisted and re-rookied?

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Rioli Jnr will cost more than a rookie spot, probably a lot more. The name alone causes uncontrolled salivation in the football world. Since every pick beyond a certain point is a lottery, who wouldn’t gamble on a Rioli? Personally I will be very, very happy if all we have pay is a pick in the 40s.

The only other club remotely interested in Rioli is Freo and their interest is waining as Jr will go to tigers or not at all
Don't think any club will take the risk to be honest
Would be shocked if he went anywhere near 40+ as Rioli name means nothing if he aint close to Cyril, Dan and Willi (took a few more years to get drafted), at the moment he isn't in the top 50+ junior players in Victoria, let alone Australia

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
The only other club remotely interested in Rioli is Freo and their interest is waining as Jr will go to tigers or not at all
Don't think any club will take the risk to be honest
Would be shocked if he went anywhere near 40+ as Rioli name means nothing if he aint close to Cyril, Dan and Willi (took a few more years to get drafted), at the moment he isn't in the top 50+ junior players in Victoria, let alone Australia

It's not just about what a player is, but what he has to the potential to become. His genetics are incredible. His name alone gets him attention other players could only dream of. Plus Rioli's have an uncanny knack of playing in premierships. Personally I hope you are right, I really really do, but again if all players are a gamble beyond a certain point it's a no-brainer to gamble on someone whose bloodlines are football royalty. As Cyril, Daniel and Willie have all shown us during the last decade, you overlook Rioli's at draft time at your peril. Someone will bid just to keep us honest if nothing else.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
It's not just about what a player is, but what he has to the potential to become. His genetics are incredible. His name alone gets him attention other players could only dream of. Plus Rioli's have an uncanny knack of playing in premierships. Personally I hope you are right, I really really do, but again if all players are a gamble beyond a certain point it's a no-brainer to gamble on someone whose bloodlines are football royalty. As Cyril, Daniel and Willie have all shown us during the last decade, you overlook Rioli's at draft time at your peril. Someone will bid just to keep us honest if nothing else.

Ssh, don't you know club recruiters troll these boards
MJR is no good O.K. ;)

The full list of Richmond guernsey numbers for 2020 is:

No. 1 – Nick Vlastuin

No. 2 – Dylan Grimes

No. 3 – Dion Prestia

No. 4 – Dustin Martin

No. 5 – Jack Ross

No. 6 – Patrick Naish

No. 7 – Liam Baker

No. 8 – Jack Riewoldt

No. 9 – Trent Cotchin

No. 10 – Shane Edwards

No. 11 – Jason Castagna

No. 12 – David Astbury

No. 13 – Jack Higgins

No. 14 – Bachar Houli

No. 15 – Jayden Short

No. 16 – vacant

No. 17 – Daniel Rioli

No. 18 – Alex Rance

No. 19 – Tom Lynch

No. 20 – Ivan Soldo

No. 21 – Noah Balta

No. 22 – Josh Caddy

No. 23 – Kane Lambert

No. 24 – vacant

No. 25 – Toby Nankervis

No. 26 – Riley Collier-Dawkins

No. 27 – Thomson Dow

No. 28 – Fraser Turner

No. 29 – Shai Bolton

No. 30 – vacant

No. 31 – Oleg Markov

No. 32 – Luke English

No. 33 – Kamdyn McIntosh

No. 34 – Jack Graham

No. 35 – Nathan Broad

No. 36 – Will Martyn

No. 37 – vacant

No. 38 – Noah Cumberland

No. 39 – Jake Aarts

No. 40 – Callum Coleman-Jones

No. 41 – Mabior Chol

No. 42 – Ryan Garthwaite

No. 43 – Derek Eggmolesse-Smith

No. 44 – Sydney Stack

No. 45 – Hugo Ralphsmith

No. 46 – Ben Miller

No. 47 – Bigoa Nyuon

No. 50 - Marlion Pickett

Last edited:
The full list of Richmond guernsey numbers for 2020 is:

No. 1 – Nick Vlastuin

No. 2 – Dylan Grimes

No. 3 – Dion Prestia

No. 4 – Dustin Martin

No. 5 – Jack Ross

No. 6 – Patrick Naish

No. 7 – Liam Baker

No. 8 – Jack Riewoldt

No. 9 – Trent Cotchin

No. 10 – Shane Edwards

No. 11 – Jason Castagna

No. 12 – David Astbury

No. 13 – Jack Higgins

No. 14 – Bachar Houli

No. 15 – Jayden Short

No. 16 – vacant

No. 17 – Daniel Rioli

No. 18 – Alex Rance

No. 19 – Tom Lynch

No. 20 – Ivan Soldo

No. 21 – Noah Balta

No. 22 – Josh Caddy

No. 23 – Kane Lambert

No. 24 – vacant

No. 25 – Toby Nankervis

No. 26 – Riley Collier-Dawkins

No. 27 – Thomson Dow

No. 28 – Fraser Turner

No. 29 – Shai Bolton

No. 30 – vacant

No. 31 – Oleg Markov

No. 32 – Luke English

No. 33 – Kamdyn McIntosh

No. 34 – Jack Graham

No. 35 – Nathan Broad

No. 36 – Will Martyn

No. 37 – vacant

No. 38 – Noah Cumberland

No. 39 – Jake Aarts

No. 40 – Callum Coleman-Jones

No. 41 – Mabior Chol

No. 42 – Ryan Garthwaite

No. 43 – Derek Eggmolesse-Smith

No. 44 – Sydney Stack

No. 45 – Hugo Ralphsmith

No. 46 – Ben Miller

No. 47 – Bigoa Nyuon

No. 50 - Marion Pickett

Marlion Pickett.

Marion might be his sister.

List management 2020.

1) Manage the list to win a premiership in 2020 > Focus on the 25-30 proven AFL capable players.

2) Manage the list to ensure our window stays open into the fab 4's twilight years (to 2022) > get games into the top end kids and don't overburden the superstars. esp give Cotch a bit less smash and bash.

3) Manage the list to stay a contender beyond 2022 > As above, games in Stack, Ross etc. But work hard to give the last 2/3 years draftees as much development as possible. Lots of VFL responsibility and for some rests to keep building the their bodies whilst minimizing injuries.

Schlurp

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
Assuming he continues to develop at his current pace the player we will need to manage most carefully will be CCJ. His logical place in the immediate future is a ruck/forward and unfortunately for him, the two who stood up for us this year will take some removing. Lynch has the power forward position sewn up and Jack Riewoldt plays a more mobile second tall than Callum so that spot isn't available. If Nank's adductors keep giving him grief, Callum may get games there. Which could be interesting because if he nails the role like Soldo did this year, he could keep Nank out of the side. Interesting times ahead.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Assuming he continues to develop at his current pace the player we will need to manage most carefully will be CCJ. His logical place in the immediate future is a ruck/forward and unfortunately for him, the two who stood up for us this year will take some removing. Lynch has the power forward position sewn up and Jack Riewoldt plays a more mobile second tall than Callum so that spot isn't available. If Nank's adductors keep giving him grief, Callum may get games there. Which could be interesting because if he nails the role like Soldo did this year, he could keep Nank out of the side. Interesting times ahead.

soldo is great but he aint nicnat

Schlurp

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
soldo is great but he aint nicnat
True but no one else is either. Soldo is a decent honest competent performer who is still learning his craft and that's not a bad thing either. I'm just saying that his body appears to be more robust than Nank's at the moment, therefore making him the more vulnerable of the two rucks. And that if CCJ gets a crack because of a Nank injury and nails it, Soldo has some decent performance credits to fall back on should the conversation track towards dropping him for a returning Nank.

Back