List Mgmt. 2020 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If this article is correct, the non selection of Butler is Teague and Agresta's fault because they forces SoS to prioritise Betts and Papley, neither of which SoS was keen on. This article supports the view SoS was scapegoated

If this article is correct, the non selection of Butler is Teague and Agresta's fault because they forces SoS to prioritise Betts and Papley, neither of which SoS was keen on. This article supports the view SoS was scapegoated
It reads that way, moreso Betts over Butler. Also says Sydney were willing to give up 9 and 5 for Daniher. If that’s true then oh my lord Essendon done Sydney a favour.

Agree. However trying players in another position can sometimes be a positive. No one thought Jones could hold down a position and his career was done.

I just think it's worth a try
I'm not as down on his form as others. 20% shorter quarters with the same number of rotations means the intensity and level of midfield involvement in the game is higher per minute, and that eats into his transitional role from defence, particularly if he's being dragged deeper by his opponent (or because he needs to man the genuine small forwards).

He's making a sacrifice for the team, one that needs to be addressed on the list in time, but Simmo isn't going to be playing for us much longer. I think we'll at least see a changing of the guard next season, and all of this relies on SPS' hamstring issues persisting enough to hamper that little extra explosion needed to play up the field.

Williams just ticks every box for us.
I think we'd be crazy to be restricting our efforts to BCrouch and not looking at Zac.

Free Agent - Zac Williams
Trade For - Tom Papley
Trade for - A back up KPD

...and more than anything....develop what we have and develop them well.
Lot of talk in media he wanted more midfield minutes after last season success in middle-- I would take him as a mid and recruit Laird or witherden as a half back -- he and Greene virtually led GWS midfield last year through there injury problems with cognilio Taranto ward etc

Not apportioning blame upon anyone in particular, but we sure have many stop-start players.

Marchbank, Cuningham, CCurnow, McGovern, McKay, Kreuzer, Williamson and Macreadie.

Hard to really get any sort of continuity amongst this group, it seems.
But on the bright side, Willo is back now and Macreadie has been sighted for the first time in ages. DC has got a few games in this year and Marchbank is back playing footy.

Get the feeling these 1-2 week setbacks might have been significantly worse/longer in previous regimes

With Harry out again with a leg injury wouldn't mind it all if we put him on ice for a few weeks and let him take his time to recover. He's been in and out the whole year and really needs to get himself right. Depending on how we are looking after then we can think about putting him on ice for the season or bringing him back.
When we play Fremantle in round 12 it’ll be 16 days since he’s played a game. 19 for mcgovern. Both or arguably soreness. There will only be about 24 days till the end of the season. I’m sure they’ll be able to play through nearly the same distance in days as they’ve had off. Better than most have had.

Not apportioning blame upon anyone in particular, but we sure have many stop-start players.

Marchbank, Cuningham, CCurnow, McGovern, McKay, Kreuzer, Williamson and Macreadie.

Russell is fixing those. It’ll take time. It’s KP mainly whose affected and young ones at that. They’ll get used to the hits as their bodies get stronger.

Mismanagement hey? I blame 5g.
Cool story though. Not based on any fact. Charlie did his knee, willo has been nursed back to playing from a potential career ending injury, d.c. is missing his first game for the year etc etc.

If it’s not mismanagement then what is it ?Russell can’t be blamed for the initial injuries but the return from those injuries he and his team are responsible for.

The facts are Charlie’s knee was mismanaged he hasn’t played in over a year and had two separate surgeries to fix the same problem.
McKay is in one week out the next and it has been a constant throughout his career.

McGovern seems to hurt his hamstring or have soreness every second or third game he plays.

Cuningham over the last few weeks has been down on game time, played with strapping on his calf the last couple of weeks and has clearly not been right to play and has a history of never playing more than 3 or 4 games in a row with this year the first time he’s managed that.

Marchbank barely needs any explanation constantly listed as 1-2 weeks away and then has another setback.

Dow, Fisher and Silvagni were all out injured then the next time they played had a recurrence of the same injury, silvagni missed games with a knee injury not just his ribs as you can see with the strapping he had on his knee in his comeback game in the reserves.

These are just some of the facts I’m basing questioning Russell on and it’s just a question I’m not calling for him to be let go.

Perhaps we pursued unrealistic targets in Papley when still contracted for a number of years, added to the fact the reliance of JD being traded

Targetting Martin on the other hand would not of impeded Butler from slotting into the side

12 months on the situation will be similar with Papley, park the idea and focus on a free hit in Williams, where we have ample time to gauge his interest in moving
We weren’t wrong in having multiple targets. However the mechanism works, we showed an interest, Papley nominated us and generally those deals get done. Sydney stuck fat and more power to them. I would hope we would do the same if someone chased a contracted player on our list. LM team had multiple irons in the fire and we got a big fish in Martin.

Really like the idea of targeting Williams. While Kelly is a sexy get, Williams would seems to be more versatile. There will be many suitors for GWS players who feel the cap squeeze. Williams is the top of that tree.

Yep. I will say, though, that this kind of treatment at Sydney can improve him as a player; he gets more practice, gets to try to do what he does well more often. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. They go to him because he's a good player, he gets better because they keep going to him.

If Sydney are doing this deliberately in order to build a case for him to actually be worth two first round picks, which is something that is both transparent and obnoxious. Papley goes along with it because for him there is no downside; he gets to kick more goals and to be a better player, and get more money in turn as well as the idea that he's going to be allowed to leave next season.

If they want two firsts, I'm cool; I'd want us to argue them down some, but at the end it'd be within reason. It's only if their request is for players that I start to balk.
They go to him as often as they do because they lack options and he is elite at what he does. Doubt Horse would have any other agenda. I’ll call it early, we won’t get Papley but we will secure a quality mid: Williams most likely. We will also sure list depth like a Toby McLean who will be next gen Newnes. Good but not a game breaker. Not much list change ( Liddle article) but specific targets and internal improvement.

How much better can we be with a Charlie back and Kemp impacting? A s*** tonne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lot of talk in media he wanted more midfield minutes after last season success in middle-- I would take him as a mid and recruit Laird or witherden as a half back -- he and Greene virtually led GWS midfield last year through there injury problems with cognilio Taranto ward etc

Witherden looks a ripper.
Not sure he’ll be keen to leave Bris, or they’ll be willing to lose him.

Do we need to add more kids or experienced/bigger mature bodies this coming trade and draft period? In an ideal would we would have a 50/50 approach to it but it simply is not that easy.

We may be able to snag a bargain with several club's trying to off load senior players to cut the Salary Cap and gain academy/F/S points

Still think we need to invest in youth for insurance as Murphy, Kreuzer and Simmo (😥😥) are nearly at the end.

Wouldn't mind pick Isaac Smith as a Free Agent though, decent playrr with 2-3 good years left in him.

I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion, it supports that Agresta wanted Papley & that SoS wasn't that keen on Betts.

Do we need to add more kids or experienced/bigger mature bodies this coming trade and draft period? In an ideal would we would have a 50/50 approach to it but it simply is not that easy.

We may be able to snag a bargain with several club's trying to off load senior players to cut the Salary Cap and gain academy/F/S points

Still think we need to invest in youth for insurance as Murphy, Kreuzer and Simmo (😥😥) are nearly at the end.

Wouldn't mind pick Isaac Smith as a Free Agent though, decent playrr with 2-3 good years left in him.
Depends on what you classify as "kids"? I'm not overly keen on 18 year olds, however I'm very ok with a few players going into their 3rd year.

Ideally we gain:
- a B+ (at least mid) in the 22-26 year age bracket who has speed and goal smarts
- Williams
- a small who kicks us 40+ goals a year and creates as many
2 x 20-22 year olds who are about to take the next step but are either just on the outer 22 or who have just broken in (and still don't cost us a packet)

I think if Murphy, Simpson and another of our elder statesman finish up, the growth in our group will see us not requiring a player in their late 20s to early 30s.

What we now need is TDK, Dow, LOB, Stocker, Fisher and Cuningham go to the next level. It these guys do, our trade week won't be as big as a lot of us are envisioning

How did they force SOS to do anything? So now you think SOS wasn’t keen on Papley and he wanted Butler. Do you remeber at trade time when SOS was asked if we were keen on Butler, he said no. Agresta was asked the same thing closely after and said we were keen.

SOS was scapegoated for what? There is nothing new in there that this whole forum didn’t already know. We went hard for Papley, we risked missing out on Butler as we prioritised Papley and Betts and Papley fell through.

If Papley came off, SOS would have been hailed as a master, but we miss out and people can’t wait to lay the blame somewhere else. Butler would have been great, sometimes you miss targets for various reasons, but this crap regarding Martin was SOS”s guy and Betts was Eddies and Elliss was Liddle“s and Papley was Agresta“s is garbage.

Think GWS setup:
Davis
Taylor (tonight Keeffe)
Corr
Haynes

Marchy has the Hayne intercept role, also getting from D50 up onto the wings a bit at times. Supposedly he’s one of the better runners at the club, think there was a few comments by ARcthis preseason about it?

He was averaging 13-15 the last couple of years, probably want to get that up to the 16-18 range. He had a couple/few games last year where he had 23-odd and maybe 6 or 8 intercept marks (or something impressive).

Would mean we need Plow to be a bit more attacking alongside Doc and Samo/Simmo/Willo. They’re also going to have to be responsible for a bit more of the run on exits, might be handy to have someone like O’Brien in the team (wing of flanker) who can help generate some of that run out of our back half (someone like Williams would be perfect to add there...)

That’s my take anyway.
Terrific endurance runner. Pace ‘ok’.

These stop starts are getting less frequent, H. Once they are up, they are generally up for a while. 2nd lowest number of used players in the league. Managing well, just need the long termers to get it together. Kreuz has always had an issue with durability, Charlie was an accident in the off season, H is is young big kid who missed most of his games prior to Russell. The others are getting up and about except Marchy. Russell will work magic in time, and already is. Ask Richmond or Collingwood how they are going.

Can’t understand why he hasn’t played more games this year.

Rich and Birchal were really producing some good footy early in the year. Both got injured and has taken his chance. Had been labelled a bit lazy in years past, mainly due to some of his defensive efforts every now and then. Now the team around him is of elite quality he can probably fit into his natural spot of playing a bit loose and focusing on distributing the ball while others can cover him in their structures.

So many contradictions, around what you want in terms of culture and impatience of what we want now, rather than watching it continue to evolve
I have no issue with players wanting out for opportunity, money, family, etc, but to force a trade, well that just goes back to the Kennedy debacle
We know players don't have linear developments, just like Weitering. Could you imagine if we traded him for "whatever we can get" ?
'We need to know what we have in our own back yard first'. Yet, you have already determined who or what is expendable, purely because they are not currently regular best 22 or we are not sitting comfortably in the 8

Arrow, things are somewhat different now compared to where we were only a couple of years back.
We have a large spread of young 'premium-paid' talent on the list. I'm not going to list every individual again, as you know who they are.

First of all, I don't know what will happen, none of us do, but have an idea of what may happen -

The next two years, we'll be targeting ready-made best 22 players. How many will we get, may determine how we view the rest of our list.
To be layering on more young 'to be developed' players just doesn't make sense, so let's discard that notion for the sake of this exercise.

e.g. Let's say we get Papley and a FA this year. They'll be best 22 players and we won't be paying a premium for depth.
Next year we'll also be targeting one or two players that immediately make us better. Say three to four players, whilst not utilizing our first rounders.
Something will have to give, as we won't be able to retain every young player we have on the list, having them playing seconds football.
I just can't see it any other way even factoring in, the demise of players Simpson, Betts, Kreuzer and Murphy, as we're largely speaking about the riches of young mids we have.

I can understand players picked up late, or through the RD just taking anything they're given and being happy to just be on the list, but this is rarely the case for first rounders. History will show you that and ones that have been discarded early in the piece are for reasons, often outside their football ability, alone.

In summary, I feel that you see that all our young players can be managed through and find homes in our best team and I just don't. That's all.

It reads that way, moreso Betts over Butler. Also says Sydney were willing to give up 9 and 5 for Daniher. If that’s true then oh my lord Essendon done Sydney a favour.

Or Essendon were completely off their rockers for not accepting that offer knowing Danihers injury issues. Not a chance they'll get anywhere near that offer this year, even if they match Sydneys offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back