List Mgmt. 2020 List Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
A few interesting comments from, I think Accidental genius, regarding Charlie’s personality in comparison to Cameron’s, in discussing if you would swap.

Do many posters actually care what type of personalities we have, do players have to be good blokes?

My mates dad used to tell me how much he hated Rys-Jones until he moved across and same with Williams and he ended up loving them.

Does personality matter, or as long as they’re good for the team then who cares?

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
A few interesting comments from, I think Accidental genius, regarding Charlie’s personality in comparison to Cameron’s, in discussing if you would swap.

Do many posters actually care what type of personalities we have, do players have to be good blokes?

My mates dad used to tell me how much he hated Rys-Jones until he moved across and same with Williams and he ended up loving them.

Does personality matter, or as long as they’re good for the team then who cares?

Am I your mates Dad?

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

Personality does matter imo but more importantly right now we need to remain focussed on building a champion team. If we start dismantling the team to bring in champion players we’ll * this rebuild up. Charlie is a very good player more than capable of gelling with our forwards to create a very good unit.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Personality does matter imo but more importantly right now we need to remain focussed on building a champion team. If we start dismantling the team to bring in champion players we’ll fu** this rebuild up. Charlie is a very good player more than capable of gelling with our forwards to create a very good unit.

When you say personality matters, are you referring to liking a player or whether or not they make good players/team members?

I would love to have a team of nice guys who are respected, but I would add Toby Greene, Luke Hodge, Fevola, Greg Williams, Akermanis types in a heartbeat.

Once on the field, I don’t think players put much thought in to which team mates they like more, or who is the better bloke.

If being tough was a personality then my opinion changes greatly

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
When you say personality matters, are you referring to liking a player or whether or not they make good players/team members?

I would love to have a team of nice guys who are respected, but I would add Toby Greene, Luke Hodge, Fevola, Greg Williams, Akermanis types in a heartbeat.

Once on the field, I don’t think players put much thought in to which team mates they like more, or who is the better bloke.

No, I don't mean being a nice guy or a better bloke. I mean personality as in showing expression. Fevola hogdge etc were all great and were probably big hits regarding memberships. cameron however comes across like a fish...expressionless. i think young kids/teenagers would be more drawn to a player (and hence club) like curnow over cameron.

Also, I do not believe cameron is a better player than curnow. when curnow recovers and has time to get back to speed he will be unstoppable.

HereComesJuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Cameron would also likely tie up a fair chunk of salary cap, which we may need to retain some of our guns.
Apart from Cripps, Walsh and weitering, do we really have any other guns that have proved themselves to be deserving of major coin?

Many people still look at our list and laugh, believing we still don't have the cattle...

McKay looks good, but no way deserving of huge coin. Charlie is locked in and maybe we are paying too much? Are we paying for potential again. Dow isnt deserving of big coin, he needs 3 solids years imo before id offer him anything amazing. SPS also needs a couple of years also. Doc is Doc and is a blue for life snd co captain, guy would take unders imo if it came to that as i believe he is a team player.

Right now, the word 'guns' and carlton dont really work. Cripps is elite, and walsh isnt even a second year player yet.

We surely should have a huge amount of money off to the side come the end of this year.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
No, I don't mean being a nice guy or a better bloke. I mean personality as in showing expression. Fevola hogdge etc were all great and were probably big hits regarding memberships. cameron however comes across like a fish...expressionless. i think young kids/teenagers would be more drawn to a player (and hence club) like curnow over cameron.

Also, I do not believe cameron is a better player than curnow. when curnow recovers and has time to get back to speed he will be unstoppable.

I’m not sure how a player who has played 58 games is a better player than multiple All Australian, BandF winner and a Coleman medalist, but he sure does have the potential to be as good, maybe better.
I agree on players been drawn to certain types and supporters certainly are, I think players look up to, players who work/train hard And put their head over the ball more.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m not sure how a player who has played 58 games is a better player than multiple All Australian, BandF winner and a Coleman medalist, but he sure does have the potential to be as good, maybe better.
I agree on players been drawn to certain types and supporters certainly are, I think players look up to, players who work/train hard And put their head over the ball more.
When I say he is better I’m talking about in future when he recovers and has time to get back into swing of things. I believe he will be better. I find Curnow playing style much more appealing.

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
Honestly, Cameron is a fair way ahead at present, so much so that I believe that these comparisons are doing neither player justice.
While it'd be fantastic for Charlie to reach that sort of level, we likely don't require him to - we need for him to develop a partnership with the likes of Harry, McGovern & TDK, something that GWS has repeatedly tried & failed to do by pairing Jezza with Boyd, Patton, McCarthy etc.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Honestly, Cameron is a fair way ahead at present, so much so that I believe that these comparisons are doing neither player justice.
While it'd be fantastic for Charlie to reach that sort of level, we likely don't require him to - we need for him to develop a partnership with the likes of Harry, McGovern & TDK, something that GWS has repeatedly tried & failed to do by pairing Jezza with Boyd, Patton, McCarthy etc.

Lets hope that the football gods are finished playing with us and give Harry a clean bill of health going forward and that Charlie can get back to concentrating on playing footy, instead of rehab, definitely has the talent.

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC

I dunno about that, I heard Ben Crowe who does his version of leading teams couldn't get anyone on board because Brett Delido was so difficult, once he left apparently according to him they all accepted it and bought in, 2 premierships and prelim in the three season since lids left, goes a bit of a way to speaking to culture.

We are paying Curnow 900k

McGovern 800k

McKay will attach well over 750k imo

Cameron would be getting 1.5mil offers

We are way too top heavy in the forward line cap wise

Last edited:

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
Cameron 76 goals (1st in AFL)
Finlayson 44 goals (8th)
Himmelberg 38 goals (13th)

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I dunno about that, I heard Ben Crowe who does his version of leading teams couldn't get anyone on board because Brett Delido was so difficult, once he left apparently according to him they all accepted it and bought in, 2 premierships and prelim in the three season since lids left, goes a bit of a way to speaking to culture.

Thats quite interesting, what else did he say? I could imagine Voss, Hodge types who had won multiple premierships maybe having an attitude like that if the club brought in some fancy leadership team, but for a player who hadn't done any of that to be that stubborn, is interesting.

Do clubs still put as much emphasis on these leading teams programs?

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
Thats quite interesting, what else did he say? I could imagine Voss, Hodge types who had won multiple premierships maybe having an attitude like that if the club brought in some fancy leadership team, but for a player who hadn't done any of that to be that stubborn, is interesting.

Do clubs still put as much emphasis on these leading teams programs?

That wasn't from him directly but via someone close to him.

He's one is all about accepting vunrability, letting your teammates know when you scared or down, not wearing a tough guy mask. Sounds like soft**** sh1t to me, but apparently his three clients are Alistair Clarkson, Ash Barty and Richmond FC, so guess he must have something worthwhile to add

I heard the Kyrios camp requested his services but Ash Barty said it was her or Kyrios so he declined

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
That wasn't from him directly but via someone close to him.

He's one is all about accepting vunrability, letting your teammates know when you scared or down, not wearing a tough guy mask. Sounds like soft**** sh1t to me, but apparently his three clients are Alistair Clarkson, Ash Barty and Richmond FC, so guess he must have something worthwhile to add

I heard the Kyrios camp requested his services but Ash Barty said it was her or Kyrios so he declined

If true, I’m not sure how to take this.
Considering Nick would be a fellow Aussie and would have no direct impact on Ash’s game, that isn’t something I personally would feel proud about saying or doing if I was Ash.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
its pretty obvious i'm alone in my thinking and respect your views but i don't see it as much...but i see it in charlie. charlie can take hangers, has better maneuverability and elusiveness and overall athletism imo.
Cameron is a good athlete but Charlie is a next level athlete with his running ability as well as his leap and agility.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner

Yeah but Rhys and Diesel always hated each other.

BlueTang

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Dunno how we got onto discussing forwards, clearly mids is the main gap on the list which you would hope Austin would be hoping to address. Next year will be most telling, for if we actually need to reconsider Charlie’s position at Carlton.

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
Dunno how we got onto discussing forwards, clearly mids is the main gap on the list which you would hope Austin would be hoping to address. Next year will be most telling, for if we actually need to reconsider Charlie’s position at Carlton.

Not mids, A grade mids

I know it's one game but I was bitterly disappointed with Setterfields game against Richmond, was hoping he would be the one to join Cripps and eventually Walsh.

Dow also very worrying

Need one of Dow, SPS, Setterfield to become A grade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back