Toast 2020 McLelland Trophy Winners

Remove this Banner Ad

Triple E

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
1,151
773
Bovine University
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Vikings
It would be great if there was some sort of incentive and reward for this rather than a who cares cup. Finishing top after regular season is an achievement worth commending.
In all honesty, as more and more top teams start managing players throughout the season, I reckon the TV stations will push for something like it in order to try and keep alive the amount of 'interest' in games. Especially if the season does end up being lengthened beyond 22+ games as rumoured (although I doubt it will).
 

Nelso

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
18,305
29,881
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
49érs, SF Giants, GS Warriors
Great effort. Well done to everyone involved.

Now we just need to finish it off.

We should get a very good draw next year in regards to prime time games.
 

Log in to remove this ad.

VineValerian

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2014
3,930
4,695
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
What would we have expected as achievements this year when we first set out?
In order I would have thought:
1. make finals - done
2. minor premiership - done
3,. win a final - to be done
4. make GF - to be done
5. win a flag - to be done.

Almost half way there. Proud of what the blokes have done so far, exceeded my expectations in spades.

Now the real stuff begins. This is what people remember forever. This is what makes men out of boys, and legends out of journeymen.

Do well at the pointy end of the year and you will make me and tens of thousands of others delirious with joy.

Carpe diem!
 

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
62,773
90,673
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
Between 2000-19 ie using the current finals system, finishing

1st - 70% chance to make a GF, 30% chance to win a flag
2nd - 60% chance to make a GF, 35% chance to win a flag
3rd - 50% chance to make a GF, 30% chance to win a flag
4th - 10% chance to make a GF, 0% chance to win a flag
6th - 5% chance to make a GF, 0% chance to win a flag
7th - 5% chance to make a GF, 5% chance to win a flag

So being minor premiers guarantees you nothing!! But it gives you the best chance to make a GF.

1600742412803.png
 

70sDinosaur

Premiership Player
May 16, 2011
4,102
11,627
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Between 2000-19 ie using the current finals system, finishing

1st - 70% chance to make a GF, 30% chance to win a flag
2nd - 60% chance to make a GF, 35% chance to win a flag
3rd - 50% chance to make a GF, 30% chance to win a flag
4th - 10% chance to make a GF, 0% chance to win a flag
6th - 5% chance to make a GF, 0% chance to win a flag
7th - 5% chance to make a GF, 5% chance to win a flag

So being minor premiers guarantees you nothing!! But it gives you the best chance to make a GF.

View attachment 967766
I'm pleased to see that statistically Geelong can't win the premiership.
 

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Janey

Premium Platinum
Aug 16, 2009
4,117
7,894
Out to Lunch
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As well as the players and coaches, kudos to our other off-field people as well. A lot of them have also had to do the hub thing. Everyone talks about the players being away from their families, but so have all the coaches, the fitness staff etc. Our fitness people have done a great job. The players came back in great condition after the break in the season and have been able to run out games all year regardless of the short breaks, and we have had very few injuries that could be put down to poor management. No-one at the club has whinged even once about any of the challenges we have dealt with, our attitude has been great.

There have been lot's of comments about our resilience and 'connection' among the players. I have heard Charlie talk about a particular person that we have at the club mentoring the players, so I'm not sure how much of it is because of that, but we are vastly better as far as our on-field resilience now compared to the last few years.

So far, it's hard to fault anything about the way the entire club has performed this season. Just three more games to win this year :pear::pear::pear:
 

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
62,773
90,673
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
It used to be 1 million $ I'm sure... this year?
No there was never any prize money for finishing first. You guys are thinking of when the AFL decided to increase prize money from $300k to $1.2m and the club split the $$$ with the players.

The winner of the preseason comp used to get about double the prizemoney of winner of the flag before the above changed around 2006.
 

robbo1981

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2011
2,713
3,864
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We have had the best defence all yr but everyone seems to be leaving Jonas and dbj out of their final all Australian 22 both should be in 1 minimum.
 

Remove this Banner Ad

Top Bottom