Opinion 2020 membership renewal

If Ken remains senior coach will you be renewing for 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 77 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 51.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My opinion is regardless of how many posters on here don't renew or downgrade, this site would only be the thin edge of the wedge re disgruntled members, and if the boffins in charge of the club can't see that, and don't factor in another drop of at least 3-5 k, then they are even bigger f***wits than we could possibly imagine and they will eventually stuff the club anyway.

You are both over rating the model - it’s a rusty old Bernie Jones

It’s an S5 Cervelo with a Dura-Ace groupset complete with electronic shifting.

At an average price of $400, a 2,000 member drop off is $800,000. We already suffered that this year and if we suffer another 2,000 member drop off next year, the effect is compounded to $1,600,000. Retaining Ken is the far more expensive route. Top CEOs don’t hesitate to cut their losses. We’re bleeding.

At an average price of $400, a 2,000 member drop off is $800,000. We already suffered that this year and if we suffer another 2,000 member drop off next year, the effect is compounded to $1,600,000. Retaining Ken is the far more expensive route. Top CEOs don’t hesitate to cut their losses. We’re bleeding.

The club would say that with Adelaide looking like they will be poor next year, those losses are acceptable because it means new fans will join up.

If you’re not prepared to stick with the club in times of trouble, you’re not really someone they should be basing their budget around.

Don't confuse revenue with profit. How much of that $1.6M is profit? i.e. available to pay off the coach.

edit: you might find that other factors linked to poor performance such as TV schedule, which have an impact on sponsorship, are more relevant that a drop in memberships. Again, we don't have enough visibility of the club's finances and operations to work this out.

The club would say that with Adelaide looking like they will be poor next year, those losses are acceptable because it means new fans will join up.

If you’re not prepared to stick with the club in times of trouble, you’re not really someone they should be basing their budget around.

A) Umm, those are exactly the types of supporters that you do need to build your budget around. You don't need to do anything to get the people who'll show up unconditionally no matter how poorly run we are. The people who have actually have standards are the ones who need convincing to show up.

B) It's one thing to not stick with the club 'in times of trouble', e.g. 2011-2012. It's another to not stick with the club when the 'trouble' is entirely self-inflicted, e.g. now.

Bailing on the club during genuine times of trouble helps nobody. Refusing to financially support a self-destructive administration who have pissed away what should have been a period of strength while wantonly destroying 100+ year traditions of the club for no benefit, on the other hand, sends them a message that they desperately need to hear.

A) Umm, those are exactly the types of supporters that you do need to build your budget around. You don't need to do anything to get the people who'll show up unconditionally no matter how poorly run we are. The people who have actually have standards are the ones who need convincing to show up.

B) It's one thing to not stick with the club 'in times of trouble', e.g. 2011-2012. It's another to not stick with the club when the 'trouble' is entirely self-inflicted, e.g. now.

Bailing on the club during genuine times of trouble helps nobody. Refusing to financially support a self-destructive administration who have pi**ed away what should have been a period of strength while wantonly destroying 100+ year traditions of the club for no benefit, on the other hand, sends them a message that they desperately need to hear.

And what happens when these people give up their seats and then the club goes on a run of top four appearances and premierships, based on the decisions that people have criticised? Do you think they will be back?

I don’t. People who give up memberships for the reasons you outline do so because they want to assert control over things they cannot control.

If you believe the decisions that have been made are wrong, then you won’t be back until the current regime goes. But if the current regime is ultimately successful...you’ll never be back.

Unconditional love is the highest form of love there is. It’s the love a parent is meant to have for a child.

And what happens when these people give up their seats and then the club goes on a run of top four appearances and premierships, based on the decisions that people have criticised?

And what happens when monkeys fly out of my butt?

Yep he's a nice guy but I can't get past all the ummm's and ahhhh's when he talks and the fact that he is the very person who heavily created the Port Adelaide identity crisis over a decade ago.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
He does not have any identity crisis about the club.

1A54C67D00000578-3245490-image-a-3_1442964104980.jpg
That's gotta be the Big Panther Club, right?

Bailing on the club during genuine times of trouble helps nobody. Refusing to financially support a self-destructive administration who have pi**ed away what should have been a period of strength while wantonly destroying 100+ year traditions of the club for no benefit, on the other hand, sends them a message that they desperately need to hear.
I'm holding out for the launch of the Tough Love membership package.

I've been a member for 15-16 seasons and I'm not about to quit now. Those that think this is as bad or worse than 2011-12, they have very short memories or weren't members in those days. We really feared for our survival then. And some of my worst memories at the footy are of those days getting flogged regularly at Footy park.

Yes, the last 5 years have been frustrating. I think the board should've moved the strategy from "stability" to "growth" by now. But I also understand why being mediocre at the moment works for the AFL and the club. I also understand that it doesn't work for supporters and my patience has been tested, especially over the past couple of years.

But what am I going to gain by quitting the club now? I am not going to support another team. I am not going to stop following AFL. So, I'll keep paying my membership AND bitching about our current administration, like a good supporter.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't confuse revenue with profit. How much of that $1.6M is profit? i.e. available to pay off the coach.

edit: you might find that other factors linked to poor performance such as TV schedule, which have an impact on sponsorship, are more relevant that a drop in memberships. Again, we don't have enough visibility of the club's finances and operations to work this out.

And there is part of your problem. Secret squirrels.

I've been a member for 15-16 seasons now and I'm not about to quit now. Those that think this is as bad or worse than 2011-12, they have very short memories or weren't members in those days. We really feared for our survival then. And some of my worst memories at the footy are of those days getting flogged regularly at Footy park.

Yes, the last 5 years have been frustrating. I think the board should've moved the strategy from "stability" to "growth" by now. But I also understand why being mediocre at the moment works for the AFL and the club. I also understand that it doesn't work for supporters and my patience has been tested especially over the past couple of years.

But what am I going to gain by quitting the club now? I am not going to support another team. I am not going to stop following AFL. So, I'll keep paying my membership AND bitching about our current administration, like a good supporter.
Yep. I will still renew, but not out of duty nor to get any praise for doing so. I do not profess unconditional love for the Club, that's for sure.

I am totally p***ed off wit the Cub theses days, supporting since1963 and a member since 1980 when I had a job and disposable income, and will continue to criticise it strongly via email and on forums like this when I feel it deserves it.

But I would feel lost if I stopped being a member, so it's a no win scenario if I pull out, cos no other club will get my financial nor emotional support.

But I will not criticisecanyone who does decide to pull out - it is their decision, not mine to tell them how they should behave, unlike a few moral high grounders on this forum. People are old enough and ugly enough to make their own minds up on things like this.

As a separate issue, I offered to volunteer to undertake a role with the Club months ago, even had an interview that went well. Then zero, zilch zippo back from them. Contacted them twice since and no reply, so **** 'em. They can make do with the overstressed staff they have now without my help.

Just another area of disenchantment. But, what the hell, my hard earned will still be going into club coffers. Just not with quite the same passion that I used to have for PAFC. And therein lies the issue - members feeling all they are is a cash cow, and not worth jack **** for feedback, constructive opinions or helping the club out.

As I posted earlier, when the rusted on types are turned away because the club has actively accepted mediocrity, then they’re going to be left with sheep and sheep are fickle.

How on earth are we now in times of trouble? We should have spent the past 5 seasons as regular features in finals.

If you want to ignore the elephant in the room, go ahead. The primary factor in our memberships dropping off has been the coach and by extension the performance of the team. We still had $50m turnover without a second major sponsor and a TV schedule that has been screwing us for years.

The idea is to have more revenue to cover the fixed costs - i.e. Ken’s ridiculous contract.

If you want to ignore the elephant in the room, go ahead. The primary factor in our memberships dropping off has been the coach and by extension the performance of the team. We still had $50m turnover without a second major sponsor and a TV schedule that has been screwing us for years.

The idea is to have more revenue to cover the fixed costs - i.e. Ken’s ridiculous contract.
I am not ignoring it. I just don't see how dropping my membership will help. That's all.

I am not ignoring it. I just don't see how dropping my membership will help. That's all.

It doesn’t help.

In reality we’re in a s**t situation as members. We have no recourse to change the board. The 2 board members we can vote for are essentially token appointments. The only lever we have is financial by not buying merchandise, not renewing memberships and not attending games.

When the members are upset because the club has chosen a path that takes us away from our traditions, accepts poor performances and has a leadership that is full of hubris, the expectation is that we should be grateful it’s not the dark days of 2011-12.

Instead of a club that cares about members, we’re treated like customers who should just keep on paying and stay silent.

It beggars belief that the majority of the board have the view that Ken’s performing well. It’s a ******* disgrace.

This is why I'm considering dropping back to a 3 game membership:
Round 2 - only just beating Carlton
Round 4 - losing to Richmond
Round 8 - losing to the Crows
Round 15 - losing to the Dogs
Round 17 - losing to the Lions
Round 19 - losing to the Giants
With the squad we had this should not have happened.

Add to that the way this side collapses everytime there is any expectation.

Combine that with the co-captaincy and how the club treated us and the general inability of this club to stand up for itself and demand fair treatment from the AFL and I feel like a fool for saying, thank you sir, can I have another.

I'm acutely aware of how attendances have dropped this season and the only response so far has been: more of the same guys.

I want to go and see the power play the way the maggies have.
I have enjoyed maggies games so much more than AFL games this year.

Throw around whatever theories you like but don't tell me how to think about what's going on.

I've read this thread countless times and see all the reason not to renew with Ken's extension etc and they are all warranted. Can't judge anyone for walking away that's their choice.

But watching the Maggies and looking at all the young talent there in Ladhams, Hayes, Drew, Garner, Atley and more on top of Rozee, Duursma, Butters, Clurey, Burton, Marshall etc I don't think we are far away from climbing to where we are all hoping to be. I have a sense of optimism with the youngsters we have, and I'm hoping they all come on as expected or as I expect them to. I'll be renewing as I want to see where this list goes and how they get to where they want to be.

Am I happy with the coach, no not at all, but he isn't going anywhere the club have said, so I won't let that stop me supporting the club with my membership. Same as the administration, I don't agree with everything they are doing, I want to see a return from the China investment, and I hope they listen to the members more, reinstate one captain and a lot more.

But I feel there is more upside coming then dark days. This season has been a test for us all but I think the corner is being turned with the youth we have coming through underneath. Hoping for a good draft haul this off season to add to it.

If we fail to make the 8 next year, then Ken can go and we can have more change. But I'm quietly optimistic for next year and beyond despite some stupid decisions by the club.

Back