Opinion 2020 membership renewal

If Ken remains senior coach will you be renewing for 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 77 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 51.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You lot severely overrate the value of your voice. Do you actually think this board is the parliament of the Port Adelaide membership base or something, and you represent the greater viewpoint of everyone else?

What this forum is is a lightning rod to which those who see outcomes as binary. It’s either we exist to win premierships or we make our community proud; we win or we lose; you’re a “happy clapper” or you’re “sack Hinkley”.

You can do whatever you want with your membership. But don’t think that just because a group of people on an online forum agree with you it means your opinion is the correct one...it’s just an opinion. Or that you can force a club that is in the business of winning football games and is making decisions in view of that to go down a path it believes - based on all the evidence, not just match day performance - is contrary to the ultimate goal.

So do what you like...but don’t complain about the consequences of your actions by saying that you were a member for X amount of years and the club is s**t for not guaranteeing a prelim/grand final ticket against the seat you’ve given up/downgraded/put on hold.

Oh...and I sent an email to KT before the Essendon game where I commended the club for having the guts to stick to the plan of building a solid foundation for the future at the expense of sugar-hit short term thinking that would appease a vocal minority, and that it would pay off in the long run.

You look down at your feet and try to run, you’ll just end up tripping over.

It's been seven years m8. We've been midtable between 5th and 10th for every single one of those seven years. How long exactly is this 'long run'? And what happened to all of those premierships you predicted would've already happened by now?

It's been seven years m8. We've been midtable between 5th and 10th for every single one of those seven years. How long exactly is this 'long run'? And what happened to all of those premierships you predicted would've already happened by now?

“Moral” premierships.....

at the end of the day i feel the game of aussie rules has gone down the shitter thanks to the major custodians. we and many other great clubs are a shadow of what we used to be and nothing like how we used to operate. i haven't seen any of those old things we used to associate with footy with us in years - high flying, big marking, great skills, crashes and bashes. the whole sport being different is a considerable factor for me and i think many others. i never ever in my life even understood people who thought the game was "too long" given teams needed to feel each other out and counter momentum shifts and yada yada yada but i now think it, no doubt heavily due to both our recent gamestyle and rule changes.

If we're so mortgaged to the hilt that we have an enormous debt and can't afford to sack an obviously failing coach, given how well we've done with memberships and attendances since the move to Adelaide Oval, then clearly our current business plan is unsustainable anyway.

Despite apparently being on an AFL financial watchlist, we've kept the same "financial guru" Chairman and CEO throughout that time. So what are they hiding from us?

Why can't the club be transparent with us about anything for a single second?

How on earth have we moved to our shiny new stadium, apparently improved our financial return, averaged 40,000 to our home games over a 6 year period and we're in way more debt than we were when we moved? Who is responsible for this? Why on earth are we in a situation where we can't make money by getting 40,000 people to a game of footy?
You make a good point, last year we lost 2 million I think ... will be very interesting what result we get this year. I am fearing the worst which is where I am being over critical of members jumping off

Just saying.... Matthew Richardson is a good egg.

Difficult role and he does it exceptionally well.

Much respect.
Yep he's a nice guy but I can't get past all the ummm's and ahhhh's when he talks and the fact that he is the very person who heavily created the Port Adelaide identity crisis over a decade ago.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

What the more important subject should be is we need to re-negotiate the stadium deal. Because even if we get 35k to a game, we are not making a dime.

The SANFL/SMA is getting too big a cut, how can we get debt down in these conditions? We'd need 45-50k every home game just to gain some ground.
This is what I'm concerned with.

We can dip into our saving accounts all we like, but ultimately if the stadium terms remain the way they are then we're just subsidising the SANFL's broken system.

My genuine fear with a debt reduction scheme is that we're validating their existence and business model.

They are an entirely superfluous link in the chain of SA footy. Why should we have to dip into our pockets when we are one of the biggest moneyspinners in Australian sport yet are made to feel like paupers by these parasites?

Just saying.... Matthew Richardson is a good egg.

Difficult role and he does it exceptionally well.

Much respect.

He loves the club. Saying that everyone I met there view it as an honour

Yep he's a nice guy but I can't get past all the ummm's and ahhhh's when he talks and the fact that he is the very person who heavily created the Port Adelaide identity crisis over a decade ago.

He is.

And a guy named Steve Summerton poured s**t on the identity too.... He became well loved in the end.

He didn't create it, but he didn't help close the gap either.

In 2006 when he made those comments, the Power board were talking, kill off the Magpies, more teal and change to Southern Power. That was a big reason why he made the comments he did. And with the benefit of hindsight I'm glad he did. At the time I was pissed off he said it, but history has taught us, not all the facts are made public when big issues are being debated. It usually a few years for the full true to be revealed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2020 is not going to be a good year for memberships. Members need to have hope and with Ken in charge, we have no hope.

They used to clean out the no hopers. Not anymore sadly.

This would be like the kid who asked for a bike for his birthday running away from home because he didn’t get it due to the manufacturer releasing a new, better model for Christmas and his parents thinking he’d rather wait a few months for that one.

This would be like the kid who asked for a bike for his birthday running away from home because he didn’t get it due to the manufacturer releasing a new, better model for Christmas and his parents thinking he’d rather wait a few months for that one.

The manufacturer is too chicken s**t to invest in new bike models. Better to persist with old faithful that firmly keeps us mid-table.

We are never going anywhere. Ever. Until these complex issues outside of our onfield are sorted.

The stadium deal, the identity crisis, the SANFL deal and so on.

We remain where we are because none of these issues ever get addressed. They get thrown in the too hard basket by a meek football club who don't want to stir the pot and expose things for what they are.

Following Port is pretty much pointless until those issues get fixed. We wont ever compete with the good clubs because "little club from alberton".

DON'T CANCEL YOUR MEMBERSHIP.

If possible, simply downgrade to the cheapest option with no game ticket available. The message is the same, but no one would be able to say that you are abandoning the club.

1A54C67D00000578-3245490-image-a-3_1442964104980.jpg

Back