Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.afl.com.au/news/267609/who-s-burning-your-club-s-players-tearing-up-pre-season

Established gun: After an injury-interrupted 2019, where he missed six weeks with concussion and two with a fractured larynx, defender Liam Jones hasn't missed a beat this summer. He returned early to pre-season training, working with the younger players, and has been on the track every day since. He looks leaner and is moving smoothly, with the club tipping him for a big year next season.

Gen next: Blues officials were pleasantly surprised with the output of Will Setterfield in 2019, having arrived at the club with no pre-season under his belt after returning from a ruptured ACL. Now enjoying a full summer of work, the big-bodied midfielder is turning heads at Carlton training. The powerful 21-year-old has stacked on plenty of upper-body weight and looks primed to move into an inside role alongside Patrick Cripps next season.

1576276382680.jpeg

The one who I believe could transform us is Williamson, not off a hbf but a wing. The way his body has taken shape, especially through the trunk and hamstrings coupled with his running capacity he could be an absolute weapon for us with that peg.
Yes he is one powerfull unit...
He has had some setbacks but still looks a bargain draft at the moment..

Good stuff guys.

Glad you mentioned Docherty off the top.
Watch his feet next time and maybe you have.
Don't know what he's done, but they're lightning quick right now and he pushes off his toes with real power.

EDIT: Re. Newman:
Working on speed. Was timed regularly and coaches wanted to see him get around the 20 second mark for what looked like 150 mts to me.

In the few sessions I've been to, it seems apparent that we're going to want run and good delivery out of our back-line.
Everyone wants that obviously, but be we seem to be gearing towards it in a more sensible way than we were a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Good stuff guys.

Glad you mentioned Docherty off the top.
Watch his feet next time and maybe you have.
Don't know what he's done, but they're lightning quick right now and he pushes off his toes with real power.

EDIT: Re. Newman:
Working on speed. Was timed regularly and coaches wanted to see him get around the 20 second mark for what looked like 150 mts to me.

Have definitely noticed his movement. He looks to be gliding on the ground.

Last session he was put with the 2nd lot of runners as they were doing repeat 400s and he eventually pushed into the 1st lot with the likes of Ed, Walsh, Cottrell and LOB.

There has to be something that he's done in activating other muscles in the legs. It's all positive right now but we do need to (try) keep a lid on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last session he was put with the 2nd lot of runners as they were doing repeat 400s and he eventually pushed into the 1st lot with the likes of Ed, Walsh, Cottrell and LOB.
There has to be something that he's done in activating other muscles in the legs. It's all positive right now but we do need to (try) keep a lid on him.

Doing that tip-toe thing through rings the other day - I couldn't see his feet they moved so quick.
Most others looked relatively like elephants getting through them but Docherty just skimmed over the course.
Finbar tripped over them. :)

Lateral movement is very good but glad to see him not being tackled to the ground just yet. Anyway, he's looking very good.

Hey Blue Abroad thanks for the report you and Dan nailed it as usual, with Doc do you think that his work with the guy in Philly would have concentrated on his feet speed a bit more than we do here, I know in the NFL and the NBA they really work on there feet movement in terms of speed and power so this could have a bit to do with Docs quickness of feet having worked with someone that predominantly works with guys from NBA and NFL.

Anyway thanks for the great report and I look forward to next weeks report and also watching the session in full on YouTube.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back