Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol of course they made it difficult. He’s a contracted player they wanted to keep. And they said straight up that they wouldn’t take less than 2 firsts, which Essendon never offered according to reports. Whether his manager feels Essendon offered a fair deal is irrelevant. If you try to poach a contracted player you’re paying overs, you’re not going to get a fair deal. Not sure why that’s hard to understand.
I'm not criticising dogs and neither did anyone at Essendon. I'm telling you what Josh said after you said they have no one to be mad at but Essendon.

Anyway, this isn't the Dunkley thread. Besides, it doesn't matter who he is upset at. He is a Bulldogs player now.

It did turn out well, I am certainly not denying that. I am just hoping McDonald becomes a top 5 KPF in the competition. Key Forwards are much more hit and miss than most positions.
KPFs that have performed against grown men tend to be far more hit than miss, given McDonald's WAFL form.
When you pick up a kid at 5 that many recruiters had at no 1, then grab two Academy kids, that as good a draft period as you could hope for.

Lol of course they made it difficult. He’s a contracted player they wanted to keep. And they said straight up that they wouldn’t take less than 2 firsts, which Essendon never offered according to reports. Whether his manager feels Essendon offered a fair deal is irrelevant. If you try to poach a contracted player you’re paying overs, you’re not going to get a fair deal. Not sure why that’s hard to understand.
Agree - the shoe was on the other foot the year before with Daniher.

As for the manager - he wants to get paid and wanted to his client to chase the money - his thoughts are irrelevant.

Enjoy battling for the wooden spoon for the next decade.
This from a guy that supports a team that finished lower than us.

Anyway on topic everyone knows why the AFL give you a leg up, stop being ungrateful and enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think as others have said, it's not really comparing apples to apples. You have to take in to account the massive free hit Bulldogs, GCS and Sydney had.

Winners - overall: Sydney for mine. I rated Logan McDonald at 1 going into the draft, Sydney got him at 4, and then snared another ripper in Campbell at 5.

Winners - handicapped: West Coast. The Eagles had an extraordinary trade and draft period given what they went in with. Witherdon was a bargain, and I fancied Winder as a possible 2nd rounder. Great value in Edwards and Trew as a Rookie was quite stunning.

Biggest loser seems to be Fremantle to mine;

First they had their pick slide down due to Carlton placing a pretty early bid on Henry while really just trying to get more time to sort out a trade.

Then according to Cal:
  • They were apparently into Pedlar, who Adelaide picked up early to make sure they didn't get him
  • They were into Bruhn who GWS picked up next
So they ended up with the local lad Chapman, followed up by O'Driscoll, another local.

Lastly they got screwed by the dogs who pushed their NGA onto the main list instead of sneaking onto the list as a Cat B rookie.

So after all that, they didn't their first choices, but really who does at the mid point of the draft, yet they end up looking good. Losers but winners :)

they ended up with the local lad Chapman, followed up by O'Driscoll, another local.
Yep - losers because they went with the 'local lad'

I mean, who would do that?

oops

It sounds like they went next best available. What the hell else should they do in the first round?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm just saying they lost out, isn't this a winners and losers thread?

It's difficult to say Adelaide won because of their strong hand, it's difficult to say Brisbane lost because of their weak hand, so I'm taking getting screwed over by not having your preferred pick that should be available getting pick up just before your pick as mine measure.

Another example is Adelaide jumping up a couple of spots to get Cook ahead of St Kilda - St Kilda lose.

So the examples I gave for Fremantle, along with the fact Carlton screwed them over last year, is my measure. How do you assess a winner? From your scouting notes?

I'm just saying they lost out, isn't this a winners and losers thread?

It's difficult to say Adelaide won because of their strong hand, it's difficult to say Brisbane lost because of their weak hand, so I'm taking getting screwed over by not having your preferred pick that should be available getting pick up just before your pick as mine measure.

Another example is Adelaide jumping up a couple of spots to get Cook ahead of St Kilda - St Kilda lose.

So the examples I gave for Fremantle, along with the fact Carlton screwed them over last year, is my measure. How do you assess a winner? From your scouting notes?
So, basically if Freo had a higher pick they would have taken a different player.

I bet West Coast are really screwed missing out on Logan McDonald. Bloody Sydney screwed them over big time.

Genius.

Last edited:
So, basically if Freo had a higher pick they would have taken a different player.

I bet West Coast are really screwed missing out on Logan McDonald. Bloody North screwed them over big time.

Genius.

Maybe, if West Coast thought he would fall that far, unlikely though. I'm more interested in the machinations between one pick to another than the difference from pick 4 to pick 52.

It's more likely that Adelaide wanted O'Driscoll but Freo snapped him up, leaving Adelaide with Berry. To me, these differences will determine the winners and losers of the draft.

The fact that you think North picked up McDonald ends our conversation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe, if West Coast thought he would fall that far, unlikely though. I'm more interested in the machinations between one pick to another than the difference from pick 4 to pick 52.

It's more likely that Adelaide wanted O'Driscoll but Freo snapped him up, leaving Adelaide with Berry. To me, these differences will determine the winners and losers of the draft.

The fact that you think North picked up McDonald ends our conversation.
Sorry, Sydney.

Does Freo moving up to get O'Driscoll change your rating?

Sorry, Sydney.

Does Freo moving up to get O'Driscoll change your rating?

Look I thought Freo got great players, Chapman I particularly note is very highly regarded, and O'Driscoll will no doubt add grunt to a classy young midfield. Moving up to get him was a great move. I think they did exceptionally well considering they were shafted multiple times on their first pick and then at the end being forced to list the NGAs - they were expecting that of course, and Bulldogs were just keeping them honest. Freo are a model of rebuilding the past 3 years.

Perhaps I should mark them up for getting O'Driscoll...

I was supper critical of Brisbane’s draft. Not about the kids we drafted, but what we ended up paying to get those kids.

Believe we overpaid for what we eventually walked away with.

Traded out two late first round picks in the early 20’s, plus a future second round pick, for a pick in the very early 30’s and a future first round pick.

Then traded out the early 30’s pick to match a bid on our academy kid, without getting a future pick back in the trade.

I don’t criticise the trade for Melbourne’s future pick. Two picks in the early 20’s for a pick that possibly lands between pick 8 and 14 next year is fair enough.

But we also traded our future second round pick for a similar second round pick in this year’s draft, and then used that pick to match a bid on our academy kid Blake Coleman, when we also had 2 third round picks and 3 fourth round picks before the draft.

We should have traded that second round pick we’ll before the draft for a future second round pick if possible.

There was always going to be a young ruck available late in the draft, and any number of speculative kids to take a flyer on.

We easily had the picks/points with those late picks to match a bid on Coleman.

We could have then had the last two picks in the draft, and still walked away with a ruck and a flyer. Possibly the same two kids.

Thought if North were after a mid, I would have bid on Campbell. Best mid in the draft I think. The swans killed it.

If the swans had of matched would have taken them out of the top of the draft. Had they not then a mid other than Bruhn would have slid. Probably Phillips.
There’s a heap of North fans who would have bid and taken Campbell. Been stated before but he‘s got a lot Wayne Schwass about him. I’m definitely in that camp. Looks a ripper IMO.

Do you think if the family was very unhappy/furious he would be playing at essendon? I told you Andrew is not unhappy at essendon.

Don’t make things up.
i could not give a crap whether or not you believe it but they were definitely upset the bombers didn’t put Kyle on the list

i could not give a crap whether or not you believe it but they were definitely upset the bombers didn’t put Kyle on the list

Kyle is obviously a big boy and has made the decision to sign on to our VFL list. Stop wanting something that isn’t happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back