Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

You have been asked this in numerous threads but who is this supposed hulking inside clearance machine we should have taken?

You’re very quick to dig the heels In but give no alternative to our choices. Then when called out about it pretend like you’re happy for us.

So give us a name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
183cm, much like Jye Caldwell, Darcy Parish, Dylan Shiel.

No thanks

Next
Who suggested Parish was like a bigger inside bull?

You did. Parish is nothing like Caldwell, Shield or Pedlar.

Height doesnt define who you are as an inside mid. Plenty of tall mids who arent bulls.

Last edited:
Who suggested Parish was like a bigger inside bull?

You did. Parish is nothing like Caldwell, Shield or Pedlar.

Height doesnt define who you are as an inside mid. Plenty of tall mids who arent bulls.

Don’t put words in my mouth, I stated I didn’t want a player who sounds like a similar player to what we already have.

Thought if North were after a mid, I would have bid on Campbell. Best mid in the draft I think. The swans killed it.

If the swans had of matched would have taken them out of the top of the draft. Had they not then a mid other than Bruhn would have slid. Probably Phillips.

Thought if North were after a mid, I would have bid on Campbell. Best mid in the draft I think. The swans killed it.

If the swans had of matched would have taken them out of the top of the draft. Had they not then a mid other than Bruhn would have slid. Probably Phillips.
Agreed

Only my personal opinion but Campbell looks to be the better mid and North should have bid and if swans matched then North would have had 1 extra player to select from and if not they would have gotten most likely the better mid from what all the junior watchers opinion believed.

Asked this question to Dees fans and they all agreed he’s ok and that’s it. Won’t ever amount to much but he’s ok for depth. We want top end talent

That’s not what Andrew thinks and he is pissed off

Absolutely !

People take homage to paying out on Dodoro but his drafting is actually pretty reasonable.

Obviously not great but not as bad as most want to create in there minds. The development at Essendon has been pathetic for some time and a big reason we are where we are not because Dodo didn’t take player x.

As list manager at some point whether it’s your fault or not you have to take responsibilit.

Sydney won the draft getting McDonald at 4. Pissed off the Hawks enough for them to bid on Campbell at 5.
Actually no.

The Hawks were always going to bid for Campbell no matter what.

The Hawks also rated DGB ahead of McDonald.

Hawks top three rated players were JUH, Campbell, DGB, so even If Logan was available the Hawks were taking DGB.

Agreed

Only my personal opinion but Campbell looks to be the better mid and North should have bid and if swans matched then North would have had 1 extra player to select from and if not they would have gotten most likely the better mid from what all the junior watchers opinion believed.

What if they didn't match with McDonald on the board?
What if North rated Phillips above Campbell? (which they clearly did)

North have probably bid on more academy players over the years than just about anyone else (Jack Steele, Callum Brown, Finn Maginness, Connor Downie, Braydon Preuss, Josh Williams etc) We would have bid on him if we rated him there.

I don't think Campbell was considered the best mid in the draft, he averaged 15 touches a game in the Nab league playing a fair bit off half forward. Fairly comparable numbers to Hollands in honesty and his midfield ability had question marks also.

We rated Phillips at #2, simple.

What if they didn't match with McDonald on the board?
What if North rated Phillips above Campbell? (which they clearly did)

North have probably bid on more academy players over the years than just about anyone else (Jack Steele, Callum Brown, Finn Maginness, Connor Downie, Braydon Preuss, Josh Williams etc) We would have bid on him if we rated him there.

I don't think Campbell was considered the best mid in the draft, he averaged 15 touches a game in the Nab league playing a fair bit off half forward. Fairly comparable numbers to Hollands in honesty and his midfield ability had question marks also.

We rated Phillips at #2, simple.

Yep and you went for the mid who was the safest bet. I'm sure North fans won't care too much what Sydney do. You got a player with high ceiling at 2, in fact all of the top 6 picks are that, and you are splitting hairs on who is better. North have rectified their midfield division, you can get the best tall next draft when the players have more exposure. Sydney could AFFORD to gamble a bit on the tall as we have two mids already tied to us. Like any tall though there is a lot of guesswork.

Not sure why people are having a go at North's strategy! It's very sound.

Yep and you went for the mid who was the safest bet. I'm sure North fans won't care too much what Sydney do. You got a player with high ceiling at 2, in fact all of the top 6 picks are that, and you are splitting hairs on who is better. North have rectified their midfield division, you can get the best tall next draft when the players have more exposure. Sydney could AFFORD to gamble a bit on the tall as we have two mids already tied to us. Like any tall though there is a lot of guesswork.

We took probably the best two pure ball winners in the draft.

It was clearly a priority.

Powell was averaging 40 touches, 10+ clearances and a goal a game at one point this year.

I think Phillips outside game is fairly underrated, he only averages around 4-5 clearances a game, he gets as much ball on the spread as he does in close. He also runs a 2.91 20m sprint. He's got break away pace.

Then we topped it off with Lazzaro who posted some huge contested games in pre-season before the shutdown.

Contested ball winning ability, clean hands and pace/agility was clearly at the top of the list for North recruiters this year.

Pretty funny so many are talking L McDonald down and how well he did in senior footy last year

He was 17

Have a look at the other leading goal kickers , the next youngest was 25

8 yrs older

Closest thing to a lock 40 goal fwd as there has ever been in a draft if you ask me

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty funny so many are talking L McDonald down and how well he did in senior footy last year

He was 17

8 yrs older

Closest thing to a lock 40 goal fwd as there has ever been in a draft if you ask me

Happy to have him. The top 6 will all be good you are splitting hairs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was 17

8 yrs older

Who here's talking him down?

I think we are just refuting those that come in with "Lolz I cant believe that club didn't take XXX".

There's counter arguments for every player in that top 6, including McDonald.

The WAFL isn't the VFL and it certainly isn't anything special without most of the Fremantle/West Coast listed players filling out the comp missing all year. He rarely played on the best key defender each week. When he did play on a quality young defender (DGB), he was comfortably beaten.

He's a great prospect, but he's not the second coming of Christ. I think it's mostly WA supporters pushing this narrative or general SEN listeners that just gobble up Dwayne Russell all day.

Jesse Hogan kicked 39 goals in 15 games in the VFL in 2013. He won Casey's B&F, made the VFL team of the year and finished 5th in the JJ Liston Trophy for the league B&F at the same age as McDonald. He accomplished all of this despite missing 1/4 of the end of the season with a knee injury.

It's not unprecedented what McDonald did. He was also the third KPP taken in the draft.

Last edited:
Actually no.

The Hawks were always going to bid for Campbell no matter what.

The Hawks also rated DGB ahead of McDonald.

Hawks top three rated players were JUH, Campbell, DGB, so even If Logan was available the Hawks were taking DGB.
Source?

One of our best ITK posters on our board.

What bit do you find hard to believe?

Have a look at the AFL article where they asked the recruiting guys from a dozen AFL clubs “apart from JUH who would you take at number 1”

4 of them said DGB and 2 others called it line ball between DGB and Holland’s, so it’s perfectly understandable if the Hawks rated DGB before Logan.

As I posted the Hawks top 3 rated were JUH, Campbell then DGB.

because it would have taken your side out of the top end of the draft similar to the dogs.

so there’s 16 other clubs that would be pleased with the result.

One of our best ITK posters on our board.

What bit do you find hard to believe?

Have a look at the AFL article where they asked the recruiting guys from a dozen AFL clubs “apart from JUH who would you take at number 1”

4 of them said DGB and 2 others called it line ball between DGB and Holland’s, so it’s perfectly understandable if the Hawks rated DGB before Logan.

As I posted the Hawks top 3 rated were JUH, Campbell then DGB.
I think hawthorn had it right. DGB will be the pick of this draft.

I don’t think the midfielders with the exception of maybe Campbell or Hollands will be that good.

He was 17

8 yrs older

Yep I have no idea why he got past North.

Adelaide I understand. Thilthorpe reminds me of Lynch and is a local boy.

but why did North pass on him when they had just given B Brown the boot?

it’s so bloody hard to build a decent spine. There no talls of L McDonalds caibre in next years draft.

That and North didn’t even take the best midfielder available in Holland’s or bid on the best academy mid product(Campbell) when seeking a mid. (Phillips is a handy looking talent, but if there was one that might slide I thought it might be him...)

Yep I have no idea why he got past North.

Adelaide I understand. Thilthorpe reminds me of Lynch and is a local boy.

but why did North pass on him when they had just given B Brown the boot?

it’s so bloody hard to build a decent spine. There no talls of L McDonalds caibre in next years draft.

That and North didn’t even take the best midfielder available in Holland’s or bid on the best academy mid product(Campbell) when seeking a mid. (Phillips is a handy looking talent, but if there was one that might slide I thought it might be him...)

When you say “midfielder” you actually mean “potential midfielder” I take it.

Because at this stage, there is only one “midfielder” out of Phillips, Hollands and Campbell.

because it would have taken your side out of the top end of the draft similar to the dogs.

so there’s 16 other clubs that would be pleased with the result.

North got the player they wanted, why should they care what 16 other clubs think? They literally have fixed their midfield division in one draft.

As a pure mid Phillips was the best one, Hollands is a HF/mid- not a pure mid, and similarly Campbell. They took the best pure mid. They have Cunnington getting to the end of his career, Phillips is the replacement. Very smart recruiting actually.

When you say “midfielder” you actually mean “potential midfielder” I take it.

Because at this stage, there is only one “midfielder” out of Phillips, Hollands and Campbell.

There will be plenty of choice for midfielders again next year. Let’s revisit the calibre of the tall timber.

And I just think Hollands and Campbell will be special talents in the middle and forward of 50. Guys you just rarely pick up outside of early first draft picks in a good year.

I liked Phillips. Reckon he might have been picked up by Essendon, despite our preference for talls. But I would have had a strong preference for Holland’s, Campbell, JUH or the WA talls, based on all the draft footage, ‘expert opinion’, interviews etc publicly available. Especially at pick 2, when my club had pick 11 as well.

Nearly all phantoms had the same as well.

There will be plenty of choice for midfielders again next year. Let’s revisit the calibre of the tall timber.

And I just think Hollands and Campbell will be special talents in the middle and forward of 50. Guys you just rarely pick up outside of early first draft picks in a good year.

I liked Phillips. Reckon he might have been picked up by Essendon, despite our preference for talls. But I would have had a strong preference for Holland’s, Campbell, JUH or the WA talls, based on all the draft footage, ‘expert opinion’, interviews etc publicly available. Especially at pick 2, when my club had pick 11 as well.

Nearly all phantoms had the same as well.

Nearly all the phantoms were increadibly wrong. I will back the professional recruiting teams.

Also, Logan McDonald was considered a late first round pick this time last year. Plenty changes in 12 months.

The 2021 class hasn't been seen since the u/16's, there's more than likely going to be some talls that run up the board next year that have never been seen outside of junior football clubs and Nab league development squads.

Van Rooyen has been compared to Carey by Peter Sumich in the last few months and is higher rated now than what McDonald was as a 17 year old. He's a prime candidate of one that could move very quickly up the rankings and change the perception that this is a midfielders only draft.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back