Draft Review 2022 - Revisit the 2022 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Brayden George has been back in full training for about 5 weeks.

Ratten has had some interesting comments to make about him in the media in the last 24hrs.

Brayden George has been back in full training for about 5 weeks.

Ratten has had some interesting comments to make about him in the media in the last 24hrs.
Think he could end up a good selection for you guys.

He was linked to us a possible draft target (at least by the media) and was someone I was keen to go with (despite the injury)

Yeah we may have got lucky he did an ACL.
He certainly slid.

Jason McCartney said there was a player that both Sydney and the Giants were very keen on who originally indicated they were happy to move interstate but on the eve on the draft it became apparent that the player was really really nervous about coming to Sydney, so both clubs let him go. I wonder if they were talking about Brayden George?
We each had a few picks around the teens and early 20's to pick him

Now the 2023 draft is don't and dusted, it's time for a 2022 redraft.

Based off this season I have Ashcroft and Sheezel well in front as 1/2 and find it hard to split them. Then I have Weddle, Humphrey both had some really high points and Wardlaw rounding out the 5 but that's more to do with him overcoming injuries only playing 8 games but also couldn't have him any lower.

1. Ashcroft
2. Sheezel
3. Weddle
4. Humphrey
5. Wardlaw

The next group I found more even and hard to split but below the top 5, you could shuffle the names here but I went with Michalanney and Philippou as 6/7, I felt they had the body of work that slightly edges them ahead. Then I went with Mackenzie, Ginbey because I rate the upside and Hollands at 10. I originally had him higher but I think he is closer to the finished product then some of the others mentioned.

6. Michalanney
7. Philippou
8. Mackenzie
9. Ginbey
10. Hollands

Hewett, Tsatas, Cadman, Fletcher, Davey and Long the other notable names considered. Looking like a promising draft especially at the top end.

Last edited:

Based off this season I have Ashcroft and Sheezel well in front as 1/2 and find it hard to split them. Then I have Weddle, Humphrey both had some really high points and Wardlaw rounding out the 5 but that's more to do with him overcoming injuries only playing 8 games but also couldn't have him any lower.

1. Ashcroft
2. Sheezel
3. Weddle
4. Humphrey
5. Wardlaw

The next group I found more even and hard to split but below the top 5, you could shuffle the names here but I went with Michalanney and Philippou as 6/7, I felt they had the body of work that slightly edges them ahead. Then I went with Mackenzie, Ginbey because I rate the upside and Hollands at 10. I originally had him higher but I think he is closer to the finished product then some of the others mentioned.

6. Michalanney
7. Philippou
8. Mackenzie
9. Ginbey
10. Hollands

Hewett, Tsatas, Cadman, Fletcher, Davey and Long the other notable names considered. Looking like a promising draft especially at the top end.

Best 1st year player voting:

1 - Sheezel
2 - Ashcroft
3 - Hollands
4 - Micalannney
5 - Humphrey

1. Ashcroft
2. Sheezel
3. Weddle
4. Humphrey
5. Wardlaw

6. Michalanney
7. Philippou
8. Mackenzie
9. Ginbey
10. Hollands

Weddle in the top group and Mackenzie in the next lol

Relax

Best 1st year player voting:

1 - Sheezel
2 - Ashcroft
3 - Hollands
4 - Micalannney
5 - Humphrey
Probably more fair rating of performance so far. Although Ashcroft will likely drop down a bit more over the next year till he returns from the knee.

Either way its definitely a very promising draft so far

Weddle in the top group and Mackenzie in the next lol

Relax
As of right now the arguments can be made for both. Very early days but I like the look of this draft so far with the few players that have had the opportunities.

1. Ashcroft
2. Sheezel
3. Weddle
4. Humphrey
5. Wardlaw

6. Michalanney
7. Philippou
8. Mackenzie
9. Ginbey
10. Hollands

That Ashcroft is ranked #1 while being sidelined for much of the season says a lot. The ceiling on this kid is scary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Ashcroft
2. Sheezel
3. Weddle
4. Humphrey
5. Wardlaw

6. Michalanney
7. Philippou
8. Mackenzie
9. Ginbey
10. Hollands

Noah Long would be ahead of Tsatas, Fletcher and Davey by a street. He would be my #11.

Are we doing this off what we think will happen or what has happened?

Will Ashcroft was a prime mover in a top team where as Harry Shezel was a prime mover in a s**t team, who would the majority pick?

I think Ginbey gets under appreciated just how much heavy lifting he did this year whilst Aaron Cadman as a first year key forward did reasonably well imho and shouldn't be judged just on his goals & assists

Will Ashcroft was a prime mover in a top team where as Harry Shezel was a prime mover in a s**t team, who would the majority pick?

I think Ginbey gets under appreciated just how much heavy lifting he did this year whilst Aaron Cadman as a first year key forward did reasonably well imho and shouldn't be judged just on his goals & assists
Some formidable signs. I accept your point about Shezel's exposed form, as a counterpoint it may be he was forced to be exposed more? Ashcroft pushing for time in a better (the best?) midfield is also impressive.

FWIW North and Brisbane both mined gold here, love those F/S stories.

Cadman is the one I'd love to pinch for the Pies, something about his game is very impressive.

Ginbey could definitely be ranked higher but I think a decent argument could be given for any of the top 10 listed (other than Ashcroft) to be ranked higher. A strong argument for Noah Long to be in the top 10 could be made as well.

Cadman is the one I'd love to pinch for the Pies, something about his game is very impressive.
While Cadman isn’t lighting it up make no mistake about it. The kid will be a star. At the end of their careers I will not be surprised if he’s back in the top 10 of this draft. I like him as well.

1. Ashcroft
2. Sheezel
3. Weddle
4. Humphrey
5. Wardlaw

6. Michalanney
7. Philippou
8. Mackenzie
9. Ginbey
10. Hollands

Weddle at 3, c'mon man

Tsatas I feel has the highest ceiling of those players you mentioned.

Think he will have a breakout season in 2024 for the Dons
I can’t see that happening. Tsatas is a bust imo. Unless he can fix his kicking he will be out of the league within 2 years.

I can’t see that happening. Tsatas is a bust imo. Unless he can fix his kicking he will be out of the league within 2 years.
the * are you on about? Some of the best inside /outside mids have poor kicking. On our board we came up with an Adam Treloar type of result which would be fine for us.

There are bad takes on this forum, and then there is utterly diabolically **** takes.

This is one of them.

the * are you on about? Some of the best inside /outside mids have poor kicking. On our board we came up with an Adam Treloar type of result which would be fine for us.
Maybe that’s why the bombers have been so bad for a long time. You’d be happy with Trelor’s kicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back