Draft Review 2022 - Revisit the 2022 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Weddle at 3, c'mon man
Not to sure why it's surprising based on the small sample size so far, could shuffle him back to 4 or 5 depending how highly you rate players with elite athletic traits.

Come end of this season Wardlaw should probably move up to 3 at least but you can't really rank him there yet off that back of 8 games and some development needed in his aerobic capacity. Tsatas is similar in that regard as well.

All the 2022 Dogs draftees are having uninterrupted preseasons after spending last year injured/beanpoles/prepubescent. I think they’ll all be debuting this year, fingers crossed we see some good stuff.

Not to sure why it's surprising based on the small sample size so far, could shuffle him back to 4 or 5 depending how highly you rate players with elite athletic traits.

Come end of this season Wardlaw should probably move up to 3 at least but you can't really rank him there yet off that back of 8 games and some development needed in his aerobic capacity. Tsatas is similar in that regard as well.

I think Weddle definitely has potential to be a top 5 pick of his draft class, but now on exposed form, I would rank him about 8th.

2022 has turned out to be unexpectedly strong draft class though, so it's not a knock on Weddle, it's just such a bloody good and talent loaded group.

Here is my current top 1 (in order, based on exposed form)

1 Will Ashcroft
2 HarrySheezel
3 Bailey Humphrey
4 Geroge Wardlaw
5 Reuben Ginbey
6 Matt Phillipou
7 Oli Hollands
8 James Weddle
9 Max Minchalanney
10 Jaspa Fletcher

There is also some players taken in the first/second round that will take a bit longer to actually star at AFL level, but so far i think that's a pretty solid top ten

I think Weddle definitely has potential to be a top 5 pick of his draft class, but now on exposed form, I would rank him about 8th.

2022 has turned out to be unexpectedly strong draft class though, so it's not a knock on Weddle, it's just such a bloody good and talent loaded group.

Here is my current top 1 (in order, based on exposed form)

1 Will Ashcroft
2 HarrySheezel
3 Bailey Humphrey
4 Geroge Wardlaw
5 Reuben Ginbey
6 Matt Phillipou
7 Oli Hollands
8 James Weddle
9 Max Minchalanney
10 Jaspa Fletcher

There is also some players taken in the first/second round that will take a bit longer to actually star at AFL level, but so far i think that's a pretty solid top ten
Yeah I obviously know more about Weddle then I do alot of the other guys just due to the fact I'm a hawks fan. But i'm buying what you're selling. That's why i commented originally, early days but it's already looking strong.

I think you mentioned earlier you were a fan of Ginbey I do though think 6 is a little high right now. Just my opinion but he would need to develop his tank a fair bit before he can get to that next level. Players build this at different rates but without it you just can't do enough long enough to be a star. On the opposite side this is why i rate Weddle (outside of his jersey colours).

im surprised you only had Hollands at 7 (I know I had him lower) but if you are basing your rankings entirely on exposed form you could argue he could sit comfortably at 3 or 4. I only had him lower because Im of the opinion he is closer to the finished product then others on the list, not saying he won't improve I think he will, just see some big upsides in some of the kids.

I can see why you went Fletcher over Mackenzie, they are similar players right now, frenchy got a little bit more of it and spent a little bit more time closer to goal but Fletcher was doing it for an eventual GF side.

Yeah I obviously know more about Weddle then I do alot of the other guys just due to the fact I'm a hawks fan. But i'm buying what you're selling. That's why i commented originally, early days but it's already looking strong.

I think you mentioned earlier you were a fan of Ginbey I do though think 6 is a little high right now. Just my opinion but he would need to develop his tank a fair bit before he can get to that next level. Players build this at different rates but without it you just can't do enough long enough to be a star. On the opposite side this is why i rate Weddle (outside of his jersey colours).

im surprised you only had Hollands at 7 (I know I had him lower) but if you are basing your rankings entirely on exposed form you could argue he could sit comfortably at 3 or 4. I only had him lower because Im of the opinion he is closer to the finished product then others on the list, not saying he won't improve I think he will just see some big upsides in some of the kids.

I can see why you went Fletcher over Mackenzie, they are similar players right now, frenchy got a little bit more of it and spent a little bit more time closer to goal but Fletcher was doing it for an eventual gf side.

Am a massive fan of Bailey Humphrey, think he has more of an game changing/winning factor than Oli.

Hollands is a bull no doubt, just think his kicking and finishing skills can and will be better over time. Most of the blokes I rated ahead of him at this stage a bit more classy than Oli at this stage. Love his gut running and work ethic

Ginbey was extraordinary consistent and physically mature in an Eagles team berefit of quality leaders and senior players throughout season 2023.

Like Oli, he definitely does have aspects of his game to work on, but fatigue/young body hitting the wall aside, I rarely saw him drop his bundle during every Eagles game last season (reckon I watched probably around 17-18 of them)

Cam MacKenzie is definitely a serious talent though.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he is on my top 10 in 12 months time.

Am a massive fan of Bailey Humphrey, think he has more of an game changing/winning factor than Oli.

Hollands is a bull no doubt, just think his kicking and finishing skills can and will be better over time. Most of the blokes I rated ahead of him at this stage a bit more classy than Oli at this stage. Love his gut running and work ethic

Ginbey was extraordinary consistent and physically mature in an Eagles team berefit of quality leaders and senior players throughout season 2023.

Like Oli, he definitely does have aspects of his game to work on, but fatigue/young body hitting the wall aside, I rarely saw him drop his bundle during every Eagles game last season (reckon I watched probably around 17-18 of them)

Cam MacKenzie is definitely a serious talent though.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he is on my top 10 in 12 months time.
Agree regarding Humphrey, the reason I had him and my boy 3/4 was because I felt their best games were better then the rung below at this stage.

Oli had a ripper first season though, yeah he needs to clean a few things up like all players tbh but the games there, fix those things and to use a cliche he will be 200 game player.

Some of these guys who have a fair way to go building there tanks will take a bit longer to hit their peaks, that's why we aren't ranking Wardlaw along side Ashcroft/Sheezel yet or we are not considering Tsatas as a top 10, it's also why I think 6 is high for Ginbey right now and why Im going early on Weddle.

Agree regarding Humphrey, the reason I had him and my boy 3/4 was because I felt their best games were better then the rung below at this stage.

Oli had a ripper first season though, yeah he needs to clean a few things up like all players tbh but the games there, fix those things and to use a cliche he will be 200 game player.

Some of these guys who have a fair way to go building there tanks will take a bit longer to hit their peaks, that's why we aren't ranking Wardlaw along side Ashcroft/Sheezel yet or we are not considering Tsatas as a top 10, it's also why I think 6 is high for Ginbey right now and why Im going early on Weddle.

Wardlaw will give the Rising Star a legit crack if he stays healthy.

Kid may even be better than Sheezel, which is truly astonishing

Am eager to see how Cadman fares this season.

T
Wardlaw will give the Rising Star a legit crack if he stays healthy.

Kid may even be better than Sheezel, which is truly astonishing

Am eager to see how Cadman fares this season.
he scary thing is how underated Sheezel is, wait til he plays on the pill.

Must say this draft is already looking like Ittl be remembered as a good one

1: sheezel
2: Ashcroft
3: Humphrey
4: wardlaw
5: mackenzie
6: michallaney
7: Holland’s
8: phillipou
9: ginbey
10: fletcher

Each of those players have shown what they are capable of and there will be a lot of change in the rankings over the next few years, and while a lot of people have Ashcroft at no1 and I agree he has a claim for the spot, at this stage sheezel has to be top after winning a rising star, best and fairest and record for first year disposals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must say this draft is already looking like Ittl be remembered as a good one

1: sheezel
2: Ashcroft
3: Humphrey
4: wardlaw
5: mackenzie
6: michallaney
7: Holland’s
8: phillipou
9: ginbey
10: fletcher

Each of those players have shown what they are capable of and there will be a lot of change in the rankings over the next few years, and while a lot of people have Ashcroft at no1 and I agree he has a claim for the spot, at this stage sheezel has to be top after winning a rising star, best and fairest and record for first year disposals.
Max Mchallaney is very under rated on this site. Even if it was just at a lowly Melbourne club like North, Saints or Dogs, he would garner more recognition than he gets in Adelaide.

From my viewing played more as a stopper and sporadically as an interceptor and did not a bad job for a young player (and group) on the rise. Watch this space as someone who will have a career under the radar but will eventually play 200, good - very good AFL games. I keep thinking back to James Clement. Under rated to the point he won All Australian selection unheralded.

Max Mchallaney is very under rated on this site. Even if it was just at a lowly Melbourne club like North, Saints or Dogs, he would garner more recognition than he gets in Adelaide.

From my viewing played more as a stopper and sporadically as an interceptor and did not a bad job for a young player (and group) on the rise. Watch this space as someone who will have a career under the radar but will eventually play 200, good - very good AFL games. I keep thinking back to James Clement. Under rated to the point he won All Australian selection unheralded.
I agree that he had a solid first year and will be an elite player one day

Been fairly critical of a few people, may as well put up to..

1. Will Ashcroft (18 games) - Pretty easy to see why I rate Ashcroft. Was starting in one of the better midfields in the competition before injury struck and held his own.

2. Harry Sheezel (23 games) - Tremendous first year. Can become a truly elite player with his trajectory. North fans should be super excited by Harry and what he could become because he is already well on his way.

3. Reuban Ginbey (18 games) - Probably gets lost with how poor the Eagles were but his defensive nous for the contest really thrived and another whom his supporters should be excited about. A leader already and someone who will easily play 200 AFL games.

4. Bailey Humphrey (18 games) - A player who came home with a wet sail. Stepped up and stepped up again late in the year. A guy who could genuinely challenge to be the best player from this draft class.

5. Max Michallaney (22 games) - A guy as mentioned in post #65, terribly unheralded with the way he goes about it and what he does. Played almost every game for a young player in an oft under seized defence was a great debut season.

6. George Wardlaw (8 games) - I will give him credit that when he did play, he played extremely well and could go close to winning the rising star in 2024. Looking out for a bigger and more confident George to dominate in the young Roos engine room in 2024.

7. Jasper Fletcher (14 games) - After coming in late he never looked back and whilst he didn't dominate he held his own and played in a grand final at 19. Formed a formidable part of a young core at Brisbane, this young fella could move into the midfield with more exposure in 2024.

8. Ollie Hollands (19 games) - Sporadic early but settled in and found his groove. Will not surprise to see him carve out 150 AFL games as he has all the traits you want from a modern day player.

9. Josh Weddle (17 games) - Impressive young man and someone who grew in confidence each time he turned out. Another who should stay consistently in and around the top 10 of this draft but unsure if he has that "oomph" to be a top top player from this draft class.

10. Noah Long (19 games) - Simply needed to put him in after playing 19 mostly solid games and showing tenacity and a willingness to do what's needed at the level. Need to watch more but the small snippets (David King showed) I saw impressed me.

HM. Cam McKenzie, Elijah Hewitt, Aaron Cadman

1. Will Ashcroft (18 games) - Pretty easy to see why I rate Ashcroft. Was starting in one of the better midfields in the competition before injury struck and held his own.

2. Harry Sheezel (23 games) - Tremendous first year. Can become a truly elite player with his trajectory. North fans should be super excited by Harry and what he could become because he is already well on his way.

3. Reuban Ginbey (18 games) - Probably gets lost with how poor the Eagles were but his defensive nous for the contest really thrived and another whom his supporters should be excited about. A leader already and someone who will easily play 200 AFL games.

4. Bailey Humphrey (18 games) - A player who came home with a wet sail. Stepped up and stepped up again late in the year. A guy who could genuinely challenge to be the best player from this draft class.

5. Max Michallaney (22 games) - A guy as mentioned in post #65, terribly unheralded with the way he goes about it and what he does. Played almost every game for a young player in an oft under seized defence was a great debut season.

6. George Wardlaw (8 games) - I will give him credit that when he did play, he played extremely well and could go close to winning the rising star in 2024. Looking out for a bigger and more confident George to dominate in the young Roos engine room in 2024.

7. Jasper Fletcher (14 games) - After coming in late he never looked back and whilst he didn't dominate he held his own and played in a grand final at 19. Formed a formidable part of a young core at Brisbane, this young fella could move into the midfield with more exposure in 2024.

8. Ollie Hollands (19 games) - Sporadic early but settled in and found his groove. Will not surprise to see him carve out 150 AFL games as he has all the traits you want from a modern day player.

9. Josh Weddle (17 games) - Impressive young man and someone who grew in confidence each time he turned out. Another who should stay consistently in and around the top 10 of this draft but unsure if he has that "oomph" to be a top top player from this draft class.

10. Noah Long (19 games) - Simply needed to put him in after playing 19 mostly solid games and showing tenacity and a willingness to do what's needed at the level. Need to watch more but the small snippets (David King showed) I saw impressed me.

Some really well performed players on that list …. Makes you appreciate how good Toby Greene was in his first year to have outperformed guys like Sheezel

Best I’ve seen

Hard to do these lists this early but Wardlaw easily the highest ceiling IMO it's just the way he plays and already having injury concerns make him a worry. I hope we get to see him reach that ceiling because it will be awesome to watch
he looks a gun.
Ashcroft and Sheezel also look like they could be anything.

Our man Cadman also has a very high ceiling, but is clearly a bigger risk than those above.

Humphrey is another in that conversation.

someone like Ginby looks assured to be a good player, but I'd be shocked if he was ever a great player (lets face it, not many are), where as any of the above 5 could be a great player imo.

That said, It is way too early to make any judgement on this class yet.

he looks a gun.
Ashcroft and Sheezel also look like they could be anything.

Our man Cadman also has a very high ceiling, but is clearly a bigger risk than those above.

Humphrey is another in that conversation.

someone like Ginby looks assured to be a good player, but I'd be shocked if he was ever a great player (lets face it, not many are), where as any of the above 5 could be a great player imo.

That said, It is way too early to make any judgement on this class yet.
Ginbey absolutely has potential to be great based on athletic traits alone, could see him being a faster version of Cripps at max potential.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back